ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is it worth buying any more lens?

Ford Focus ST2
I am really happy with my d90 with the nikon 18-105mm Lens, but was wanting to know if it would be better if i got a 18-55mm Lens, and something like a 55-200mm!

If not do you think the 18-105mm Lens will be more then enough?

The camera is going to be used at our wedding in August then Las Vegas in September!

Fiat Panda 100hp
Yes always good to get more, the body is not being used to it's full protential with the kit lens.

At least get a 50mm prime. It's sharp, amazing dog and cheap.

50mm is superb. I keep thinking about buying more lenses but I want fast now because i'm used to f1.8 so I need to save :(

AFAIK the 18-105 is a pretty decent consumer lens with the 18-55 being worse.

you could go down the route of a sigma 18-50mm f2.8 HSM lens and a 80-200 f2.8 nikkor.

Ford Focus ST2
have you got any preview images with this lens?

and would this be a good lens for vegas, with all the bright lights at night?

And would i get better wedding picture with this lens?

Rob

Fiat Panda 100hp

Rob

Pretty much all Dan's are taken with a 50.

And a group here for the D90 and 1.8.

And a 50mm 1.8 group here.

Rob

Its a very sharp/fast lens. f1.8 so it will give you a very narrow depth of field. Basically anything thats not right at the front is out of focus.

Sample images I can do..

3476002851_6df19b78f3.jpg

3173896311_b346446846.jpg

As for "better" images, well that will only come with practice. You can buy the best lenses and the best body available but if you don't know what you're doing then its useless. Its a simple lens to get on with. Buy one and practice ;)

As Ben says, I use my 50mm exclusively. I love it. Who needs to zoom, you just get closer ;)

Ford Focus ST2
Them pictures are very good, which body do you use?

Revels how long you been doing digital photography?

D50. Urrrm, I bought my D50 about 6months or so ago but only really been using it regularly since 1st Jan when I started my 365.

Ford Focus ST2
Stick it in A mode. Zoom to 18mm. Use the scroll wheel to get it down to f3.5 and focus on something fairly close. You'll throw the background out, not quite as much as the pics shown, but it will happen.

Chris' guide is really good, have a look here..

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=192165

At 18mm i can get an f3.5 but does get the bokeh effect :eek:

Will i do but i got to be really close the the object i am shotting

I've got a standard 18-55mm kit lens and had a 55-200mm lens, got sick of swapping over for zoomed pics. So purchased a nikon 18-200mm lens, much better.

Plus I have a 50mm prime too :)

The new 18-55, 55-200 and 18-105 are all in the same bracket of entry level lenses and I doubt you would see any better results from changing to and from either.

The 18-200 is a great walk around lens - but due to Nikons price rises its stupid expensive and again its no better or worse than the other Nikons - just does it all!

Primes are the way forward!

Depends what camera you have!! The D40-D60 will need the 50mm AF-S or 35mm AF-S if you want AF, the 50mm f1.8 will work on D50 and D90 upwards.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Can always manual focus on the older Nikon 50mm for D40/40x/60.

Nikon AF-S 35mm f1.8 is around £200ish.

Fiat Panda 100hp
the 1.8 is an amazing lens. Manual focus on the older 50mm is easy as the focus ring is so nice.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i've been doing a course recently using a D80 and generally a 55-200 nikon lens. all on manual options and no auto focus. all done manually. been good tbh.

makes me want:

1. a better camera ( i want that other spinny wheel on the fornt of the camera so i can do both F and shutter speed with ease...)
2. and now reading about the 50mm and seeing the pics makes me want that lens too.

Fiat Panda 100hp
Doesn't the D80 have 2 wheels? Thought it did.

I never found that a problem on my D40, just held the +- button while turning.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
yeah the d80 does, (it is the camera i am using on the course. i have a d40) and i find it really useful and a bit easier than the +/- button. but tbh, no need for me to spend all thta money for a wheel! lol

Fiat Panda 100hp
Lol, that's cool that they give you a D80 to use, I thought you would have had to use your own camera, but then thinking about it spose it makes it better to teach if everyone has the same.

What course is it out of interest?

Last edited:

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
just one for work... nothing official lol

but it is good for the theory side of it. it is only like two days but we get to spend the afternoons out and about just taking pictures then go through them at the end of the day. so good fun!

also highlights the need for a decent tripod too.

Works...kind of...
I'd love a UWA lens but never seem to have enough disposable income to afford one. :(

Tokina Pro f/2.8 11-16mm please!

As an owner of a nifty fifty, I can vouch for them being sharp and versitile, but I don't use mine much.