ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is it just me who didn't realise Insurance Groups were changing?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Some companies run the new system, some run the old system.

I first found out about it when I went to insure my 172 with my (then) current company, the woman told me "we cannot insure you on this car as it is too high for your age"

Me: "what group is it ?"

Her: "THIRTY TWO" !!!!

I laughed and found a very reasonable quote elsewhere.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I jest mate :eek:

It seems a bit daft to me though, insurance is confusing enough at the best of times never mind making differences, so long as folk (women) keep crashing, and folk drive without insurance itll make piss all difference! :S

Wonder if this will make a difference to the fact I can't insure Type Rs for some reason. Hope not as I'll be tempted to buy one :eek:

Monaro VXR
C4 went from group 15 to 30.

Doesn't make any difference though. The thing is the old 20 group rating makes very little sense. You have cars like a Fiat Coupe in the same group as Lambo's just seems silly.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Renaultsport 172
2.0 16V Cup (172bhp) 3d 31
2.0 16V Cup (172bhp) 3d (CC) 31
2.0 16V (172bhp) 3d31

Renaultsport 182
2.0 16V Renaultsport Trophy (182bhp) 3d 33
2.0 16V Cup (182bhp) 3d 31
2.0 16V (182bhp) 3d 31

33 for me. I win

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Each car still has its own risk rating with the insurance companies though, some other group 31 cars will be cheaper to insure than a 182 for example

The groups are useful to give you an idea of cost, and changing from 20 to 50 just confuses things.

Stripped yozza'd cup
The groups are a complete waste of time.... When I was looking around a few months back at what car to buy, cars in the same group differed by £400 sometimes. When cars two groups higher would be cheaper than the lower insurance group car.

I'm convinced that they just guess.

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
I'm looking at getting a 172 Clio as my 1.2 has just been wrote off, would it make any difference me getting a 172 cup instead if a 172 would it coast more??:S

ITB'd MK1
i heard this for the first time the other day. Apparently they've been phasing it in since 2007......

Makes sense really. a 6 litre v12 jag was grp 21a in 1995, and there's plenty of supercars that are massively faster and more valuable than that now. They needed a broader spectrum. Going to be confusing for some though (not me, I love my trade insurance lol)

MR2 Mk1.5
As I think someone mentioned, the groupings are usually only used a rough guide and different insurers will rate certain cars differently.