ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just thought I'd say hello....

Clio 172 Phase 2
Hello!

Owned my 172 since last september I think so I thought I'd say hello & say how I ended with a 172. My wife had a Clio rush 1.2 8v when I met her & over the years I'd replaced certain bits a pieces and always said what a pos it was. I used to have a BMW E39 530i sport but the cost of fuelling it was getting stupid so with family head on I bought an 2004 Mondeo ST TDCI. We had a boy last year so with her being off and my car journeys being short it made sense for her to have my car and I take hers.

The 8v rush was woefully slow but had character . A mate of mine down the pub one day suggested a 172 so with driving the rush and kinda enjoying it I thought sod it why not. Started looking and realised the were reasonably priced, one popped up down the road so I took a look.

The 172 was not in perfect condition but he took the Rush in part exchange & I've never looked back, absolutely love it, It's such a crack to drive. It's only had one owner but it seems that nothing or minimal has been done to it. Since I've had it I've changed:

Cambelt & dephaser - this was done by my mechanic and asked him if was cool with it as I had read so many posts saying what a pig it is to do & how many had cocked it up, but he assured me. Belt and dephaser changed & it seems to be running sweet, I'll explain my mate has a Audi S3 BAM, when I first got the car he was pulling away from me, not much but still pulling. Since I've had the car I've used V power fuel & belts & dephaser done he's had his mapped & running 265BHP & pulls on me but not by much & has said how annoying it is to be flat out and look in the mirror and still see the Clio there in the mirror, ha!

I'm no mechanic but changed

Exhaust - Ktec stealth - loud version
Rear discs & bearings - this was a bugger because only had 1 of the inner washers which was in pieces when I took it off & missing from the other side so don't know how both sides were fitted previously. Fortunately I didn't need the car for couple of days so sourced them from Renault.
Aerial booster
Inner & outer track rods
Engine mount
4 new tyres
Wipers
Floor mats
Front top mounts - foolishly I got them from GSF & have a massive gap between the top bit & the car body, looking at getting Pure Motorsport solid top mounts.

Changing some bits hopefully in the near future, Cooksport springs, new front shocks, top mounts again & spacers.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

Dan

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Hello!
Some nice mods there.
I can recommend cooksport springs, I love mine. A bit crashy but not too bad compared to some.
Tell me more about this aerial booster? My radio is crap at times.

Clio 172 Phase 2
Aerial was total shite when I got the car, would not pick up any signal at all. The base of the aerial that you see on the roof apparently has a booster function as well so picked up a new base from Renault. When replacing you have to pull down the rear of the head liner to trace the cable where it connects on the right hand side of the boot.

Its still not perfect but a dam site better as in I can listen to the radio now, you say yours is crap at times, does that mean it drops out signal in certain areas because mine still does that.