ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is anyone running an Emerald ecu?

RB 182
Just wondering if there's anyone running an Emerald ECU on their 172/182 that could give me any tips with the wiring or base map

many thanks
Andy

ValverInBits
I've been asking about VVT activation on edition38. I was quickly put down lol, they said why not just leave it unplugged and run without VVT alternatively one guy said emerald was capable of running the VVT but din explain how.

I assume it's just a solenoid you need to fire. Use one of the external outputs and then work out how to turn it on at the rev band you want. The I should imagine you'll need to rig a relay in also to get enough current to the solenoid.

If you need the manual (think you should have it, if you've got the ECU) then PM me an email address

If it's on a 730 then its just a simple make or break for VVT actuation so just drive it off a digital output. 830 requires PWM.

Emerald offers RPM switched digital outputs so should be a problem driving it and at least one of the outputs should be of a sufficent rating to drive the actuator directly.

Cheers
M

2005 Nissan Navara
In "ECU configuration" tab on the top right of the software screen, 3rd up from the bottom is "output channels", set Vtec Switch to say Aux3.

This is a switched earth channel.

Then under "additional maps" got to Vtec switch and configure the switching points to suit.

ValverInBits
If it's on a 730 then its just a simple make or break for VVT actuation so just drive it off a digital output. 830 requires PWM.

Emerald offers RPM switched digital outputs so should be a problem driving it and at least one of the outputs should be of a sufficent rating to drive the actuator directly.

Cheers
M

Out of interest, would the VVT parts would be fairly simple to swap over to a 730 spec? They'd be fairly reasonable to buy new i'd imagine?

2005 Nissan Navara
So that you can have infinite position cam timing over whatever angle the system allows.

I know on one of the newer Ford engines, a friend of mine is seeing 26bhp gain over the mid-range by accurately setting cam position for load/rpm.

RB 182
In "ECU configuration" tab on the top right of the software screen, 3rd up from the bottom is "output channels", set Vtec Switch to say Aux3.

This is a switched earth channel.

Then under "additional maps" got to Vtec switch and configure the switching points to suit.

Thanks that sounds quite straight forward :)

I have a couple of other questions..

I've got a ph2 engine with a ph1 throttle body, I've got to tap the inlet to fit the ph1 body (or make a sandwich plate) is there a way of turning the ph2 body into a cable driven with the parts from the ph2 body?

Also what have people done in the way of trigger wheel for the speed sensor? just a bolt on to the crank pully? or has anyone used the fylwheel in any way?

I really appreciate all of your answers.. many thanks
Andy

2005 Nissan Navara
Use the flywheel, its 60-2, reference angle=90*.

Are you sure you have to tap the inlet, I thought they were a straight swap? will check layter..
Why not fit a larger cable throttle body, whilst your at it?

RB 182
Use the flywheel, its 60-2, reference angle=90*.

Are you sure you have to tap the inlet, I thought they were a straight swap? will check layter..
Why not fit a larger cable throttle body, whilst your at it?

I lined them up and the throttle body 'throat' is smaller than the ph2 and the bolt holes are further apart.. is there another cable throttle body that anyone has used that is a straight fit to the ph2 inlet?

Thanks re the flywheel.. what sensor did you use with that? one from emerald?

Lionel Richie
renault sensor should be fine

there's no direct bolt on TB for the phs2, phs 1 plen and phs 1 TB if you want bolt on, or as you say, just turn the phs1 TB on a slight angle, drill and tap, job done

RB 182
renault sensor should be fine

there's no direct bolt on TB for the phs2, phs 1 plen and phs 1 TB if you want bolt on, or as you say, just turn the phs1 TB on a slight angle, drill and tap, job done

Excellent.. my minds a lot clearer now.. when you say the Renault sensor do you think my renault 5 sensor will work (two wire) as I'll be using the renault 5 gearbox for the time being and it's already mounted.. anything for a bit of ease :)

So that you can have infinite position cam timing over whatever angle the system allows.

I know on one of the newer Ford engines, a friend of mine is seeing 26bhp gain over the mid-range by accurately setting cam position for load/rpm.

Well thats if you went to 830 Spec, Mark asked if it was easy to swap over to a 730 Spec VVT setup.

As such you wouldn't have infinately variable cam control and hence why I was confused!

Cheers
M

RB 182
how do I know if it's a 730 or 830? I know it's a phase two engine..

Also does anyone running Emerald have a base map for the 172 I could start with?

Any help appreciated
Andrew

I don't have an Emerald base map but you can assume a few values and get it running well enough to cal it from there on the rollers.

Cheers
M