ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is a Cup, 1k better than a PHS 1??

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Bit of a strange thread title I know, but am looking to change both cars over the next month or so.

Wife has a 1.4 SRI corsa at the min. 2001 '51' plate, gonna be changing this for a phase 2 172.

I have a Golf 1.8T at the min. Looking at changing this for either a phase 1 172, or a 172 cup.

Have previously owned a phase 2 172, and at min, test-driving Cups and phase 1's. I suppose ideally someone who's owned both would be ideal to answer, but all views appreciated. So what do you reckon?????

ITB'd MK1
depends if you want AC and leather, or a bit newer with less "nice" bits. I prefer the ph1, I just couldn't live with the cup cloth seats

Main reason I went for a Cup was the colour and the fact it's got less things on it to go wrong, plus I'd owned one before and knew what to expect from it. As Danny says though the cloth seats are abit dull. Renault could have at least stitched "Renault Sport" in to them.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
If it was me i'd have a cup. Wish i'd bought a cup over my 182.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think the ph1 is a very good looking car tbh. I'd say the Williams looks butch with its bonnet vent, I'm not sure the ph1 fits in that category with its bug eyes.

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Probably spend around 2.3k on a phs1,or 3.3kish on a cup. Got to say at the min am fancying a phase1 more.....

clio rs
Phase 1 front end looks butch :)

The rear bumper is worst than the front.
The cup seats are dull, but easy and cheap to upgrade for as little as £200 so dont let the seats be a factor. It depends on ur needs, to me the 172 cup is better than a trophy, as i like my cars on coilovers. And coilvers on a trophy is like buying a cup and adding a 15" sub, pointless.

Titanium 182
£3k buys you:

Ph2 cup

Or

Ph1 with:
Coilovers
Ph2 coded sidestrips
ph2 lights
New exhaust system
OMP steering wheel
ITG panel filter
Uprated brakes
Decent tyres.

your call.

SQ5
yeah and ph1 172's look the same as the 1.2 mk2 ph1's;)

the mk1 clio looks much better than the mk2 ph1

Lol the front bumpers are nothing alike on the Ph1! And the arches on the Ph1 are wider than the Ph2, when lowered, they look wiiide!

BMW M5 & E36
If it was me i'd have a cup. Wish i'd bought a cup over my 182.

This.

I think I'll get a cup early next year at some point. I don't think I could deal with the nasty Ph1 dash. Seats let a Cup down yep, easy and cheap enough to sort though.

LY 200
I wouldnt buy a PH1 period - As said prior they dont look that good (bar the front end), have s**t seats, a stearing wheel worse than that of the PH2 and arnt any quicker contrary to what the people that 'own' them say!

Good Cup for me all day, everyday - If you must have the half leather (which aint all that imo), xenons and AC then save abit more and go for a cup spec FF 182.

SQ5
The seats are basically the same just a different colour lol! Steering wheel is gash, but I've never had to look at one!

It's weird 6 months ago everyone wanted a ph1 now they don't!

Vw caddy tdi
Nope funny how people slate the phase 1's for the bits I actually prefer the original and best model imo.

Maybe a 172 Cup..
The seats are basically the same just a different colour lol! Steering wheel is gash, but I've never had to look at one!

Hope you're right danny, get myself a bargain on a 'marmite' phs1 then !!

LY 200

Your an owner but no there not!

As said the half leather seats in general aint all that anyway!

Nope funny how people slate the phase 1's for the bits I actually prefer the original and best model imo.

Your an owner too!

The only people i ever see rattling on about how good the Phase 1 is on here are the owners themselves or people on the 'step up' to a faster Clio!

The Cup is the better car looks wise, handling wise and newness wise fact - People would be mad to go for a ph1 considering what you can pick Cups and even 182's up for these days.

V6 255, 172's, JCW,
tbh i think your paying not to have the dire look of the ph1 front end

Sorry.. you taste doesnt carry much weight anymore... ;)

Re OP.. If you have the extra cash to spend on a 172 Cup, go for it, great cars!. I'd still have a ph1 172 over a standard ph2 though. Driving a ph1 feels far more focused and involving than a standard 1*2. I've owned all of them except for the ph2 172's but been lucky enough to drive them freely.

Just my 2 bob's worth.. :)

TTRS & V50
The rear bumper is worst than the front.
The cup seats are dull, but easy and cheap to upgrade for as little as £200 so dont let the seats be a factor. It depends on ur needs, to me the 172 cup is better than a trophy, as i like my cars on coilovers. And coilvers on a trophy is like buying a cup and adding a 15" sub, pointless.

Probably the most logical thing you have ever said. Well done :y:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
You wont get a decent Cup for 3k, no way. Still, Cup all day everyday for me, looks like a proper hot hatch. Lols at the seat comments, the seats are the same, just not covered in fake plastic (leather) lol. All mk2's have flawed seating though, far too high.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
the ph1's look 'ard' as nails, where as the ph2 looks like something you'd take to get false nails ;-) haha

If you want to make your own drivers car, a ph1 could be a good place to start, it all depends if you want to have a standard or modified car

Standard vs standard....cup hands down

its all down to whether you want change in your sky rocket or want to stretch out to 4k to get a 'good' cup

p.s i know where theres a cheap as chips ph1 172 going very soon, clean motor and doesnt need any work doing on it, pm me for details if you're interested

320d
Well I had the same choice to make. I love the cups and the ph1's.

However I chose the ph1 because I prefared the extra luxuries albeit there isnt many. I love the look of the ph1, I love the old school looks of them.

Interior of the Cup, bar the seats, is far superior though.

Also most ph2 owners will say get a ph2 most ph1 owners will say ph1. Its horses for courses.

clio rs
You wont get a decent Cup for 3k, no way. Still, Cup all day everyday for me

Who said u cant buy a decent cup for 3k, i bought my cup for 3k 3years ago. And it was spot on, even came with trophy seats. they do turn up on the market for 3k but sell quick. So dont expect it to be waiting for u while u start up a treat making up ur mind.

williams and trophy
Your an owner but no there not!

As said the half leather seats in general aint all that anyway!

Your an owner too!

The only people i ever see rattling on about how good the Phase 1 is on here are the owners themselves or people on the 'step up' to a faster Clio!

The Cup is the better car looks wise, handling wise and newness wise fact - People would be mad to go for a ph1 considering what you can pick Cups and even 182's up for these days.

personally i prefer the looks of the ph1. the later ones all look alike, whether it be a 1.2 or a 1*2.

and im not on the 'step up' to a faster clio....i have a williams..a 17/82 would be a step down to a slower clio tbqfh

go for the ph1 mate....add a few bits for the extra grand and roberts your mums brother ;)

LY 200
^LOL - Calm down 2live, i think were fully aware of your love for the MK1 (and anything old) by now but this thread has nothing to do with a Williams!

I prefer the MK1's too with regards to fast driving than any of the new ones before you start but its irrelivant in this thread.

And if IIRC doesnt your good pal 'TheJesus' have a PH1!? That being the case i would say your going to be a tad biased yourself! ;)

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Standard for standard the 172 and 182 is a fair bit quicker. Up my local drag strip the Williams used to get about 80mph the 172 85 and the Trophy suprisingly returned 90 yet I thought it felt slower than the 172. Trophy got a poor start to and was 2up.

LY 200
Yeah but you've never had a PH1 mate so you what you saids void - On the same strip one of those puppies would be toppin out at 140! ;)

williams and trophy
^LOL - Calm down 2live, i think were fully aware of your love for the MK1 (and anything old) by now but this thread has nothing to do with a Williams!

I prefer the MK1's too with regards to fast driving than any of the new ones before you start but its irrelivant in this thread.

And if IIRC doesnt your good pal 'TheJesus' have a PH1!? That being the case i would say your going to be a tad biased yourself! ;)

lol....i know that mate....was posting in response to ur comments ;)

personally i think the ph 1 LOOKS better than the rest. as for driving.....they are probably much of a muchness......like all cars you get gd and bad ones....ask jamie ...his willy was a bad un . ;)

if i was to buy a 1*2 it would be a ph1 as they look diff to the rest. the only exception being the trophy....but then they are the wrong colour for a true RS ltd edition to me.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Ive had both, paid £7k for my cup and £1200 for the ph1, ph1 was best by a long way!!!!!

Honda & VW
Owned both (currently own a Ph1) and personally think the Ph1 is way better considering the price difference - not worth the added £'s if you ask me.

But then again if you've got Cup money and you simply prefer them for reasons others have mentioned then get a Cup.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
OH NO, LOOK OUT - Not another biased 'ph1' owner with his 'ph1' biased opinion! ;)

hey its natural, i love my little car, if i had the extra cash I'd probably get a cup as Im more of a driver, and would benefit from not having the abs or air con, too much weight

Both excellent cars, it all depends whether you want looks, or more cash to spend on making it your own :rasp: