ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Iron X is a load os BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I disagree with the title. However a collegue I work with thinks it is incredibley harmful, and I should stop using it. I must admit, I cannot be bothered to argue, I know he's wrong, the rest of the world knows he's wrong, but he's not taking my word for it.

"Iron x. Sounds like a load of BS to me.

• Highly effective, acid-free and pH balanced (6~7pH) car paint, wheels & glass cleaner (safe for all wheels including aluminum and alloys). This formulation is also effective and safe for use on all car surfaces and will not deteriorate clear coats.
Cleaner that can be used on paint, wheels and glass
  • Airborne chemical compounds and ferrous particles (particles containing iron) actually penetrate the paint
Metal splinters penetrate the paint
  • and create corrosive compounds that eat deep into the paint's sub-layers or paint’s pin-holes. This is a gradual process that often is not evident until it's too late
metal splinters react with the paint and create compounds with the paint the eat into the paints layers or the paints pin holes
  • Claying or polishing only removes the particle, not its effects, which are continuing to spread beneath the surface.
Clay removes the splinters but does not remove the effects, ie the holes
  • During the use of your vehicle, brake dust and road grime become sintered to the surface of the car paint, rims and wheels due to the high temperature conditions they are normally exposed. Brake dust contains high levels of iron and once sintered to the rim, becomes extremely difficult to dissolve or remove without the use of harsh chemicals.
High temperature conditions “sinter” the particles to the paint (like the boot lid of that Fiat 500, so hot?) the only part that would actually get hot (but not due to sun light) would be the actual wheels themselves and only if the cars had a proper thrash)

Iron X opens up the paint's pores to release ferrous particles and to neutralize caustic compounds that have developed in the paint's subsurface. Ongoing damage is immediately stopped and future damage is prevented by removing the ferrous particles.

So the spliter is removed when iron x open up the holes in the paint. It sounds like the hole is left open lol

The formula begins to turn purple/ red. The purple/red coloration is the Iron X Cleaner forming a bond to the sintered iron on the car paint and wheel and changing its state to a water soluble complex for easy removal.

Iron x turns the metal splinters into something that can be dissolved in water (but it doesn’t say what it is turned into, or why it isn’t used for medical stuff and what happens to the water that is now under your lacquer

Stubborn, baked on grime may take a small amount of agitation. Rinse car paint and wheels thoroughly with a power washer and wipe dry.

So it dissolves metal, but its safe for paint

Their own blurb says clay and iron x remove the splinters. Clay is perfectly safe as we all know, but iron x is something so corrosive it dissolves metal splinters. Iron x does nothing about the effects of the splinters (ie the holes) so you’ve gained nothing over using clay other than putting something stupidly corrosive on your paint (sounds like youre basically spraying wheel cleaner on your paint) "

I honestly don't know how I can reply to that.

Last edited:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
So splinters are holes ?

IronX dissolves ferrous particles - Paint [or the lacquer on top of it] is not ferrous.

The End.

Have you clayed your bootlid then IronX'd it ? Try it.....

Did he not see the bit at the top?

"Highly effective, acid-free and pH balanced (6~7pH)"

Also, it's obviously just something that reacts to brake dust rather than the clear coat on paint, and is recommended by detailers over the world - so how can it not be safe?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
All I can say is I used it last year for the first time and is THE most amazing product I have used :approve: hardly anything left on paint after claying (which is VERY easy after using Iron x ) paint is like glass ! When all done and final wax on after and car has never looked better !
Cant explain the above but does he honestly think they would sell it without VERY extensive testing on everything !!!!

RS6 C7
Well iv'e used it for around 2 years on all the vehicles in the family and the paints fine on them.

I'm sure someone with a more "Scientific" background can give a better defence.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
ahh yep the smell is lovely, I love it so much I just have tubs of it in every room, I'm thinking of making candles with it (so it scents)!

Dammit, can't find a puking smiley on Tapatalk.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I would think the active ingredient is something like thioglycolic acid which IIRC is pretty good at seperating iron from oxygen.
I doubt it would have much effect on a paint laquer which is inherently pretty unreactive, but I would imagine is classified as a bleach, so its certainly not going to be something thats good for contact with everything on a car. I bet on something like a flat red paint (like corsa b and c have) it would dull the paint, but thats only my guess and dont take it as gospel as it was a long time since my chem A level and hence I cant really give you much more than that to go on, lol

Must be a chemistry student on here somewhere to ask?

One thing I will say, is it works very well, I had a massive load of angle grinding sparks embedded in the paint on my daily when it was parked to close to me when I was making some brake mounting brackets and my mrs did a fantastic job of getting rid of them with iron x and then a clay.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Agree - Iron X is a great product. Just a shame it smells on par with the piss of a rancid, alcoholic baboon that has been dead for 6 weeks. At times I get a whiff of the stuff walking past the cupboard that it's in! :dead:

D.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lols. The OP was a good read. I'll post the Carpro reply.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I've used it twice now and thought it was brilliant. Smells horrendous but it's purpose isn't to smell nice.
To the OP, just respond to your mate by dropping the nut. ;)

ITB BG 182
To the OP - Your mate sounds like one of these people that know some thing better than the last person to talk, otherwise of course Iron-X is shite and that they spent £xxx amount on discovering it to feed people with bullshit and then sell 100's of 1000's of litres to professionals that go through tons of the stuff.

I will try and get the sample pics up for you some time next week, I used some clay on a 14 year old 4x4 thats only ever been sponge washed. I sprayed iron-x on one half of the panel and then clayed, on the other half I clayed first then used iron x. The difference in the clay was massive! iron-x first made the clay not too bad, claying first.. I had to use a new block as it was bloody filthy! And even then the Iron-X still had to remove some crap.

Also, if not trying Iron-X, I, personally, like Autobrites Purple Rain.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'll have the in depth answer soon mate. It's pretty simple though.

Clearcoat pores swell. The IronX dissolves the iron that's pretty simple. Have you seen a spec sheet on some Autosmart products? And many others. IX very safe. It's simply chemicals tested and harnessed to do a specific job.

I'm not sure I see the problem. Infact the reason CarPro don't sell Cquartz Finest to the public is for safety and health reasons. So it's not like they don't check these things.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200

Clearcoat pores swell. The IronX dissolves the iron that's pretty simple. Have you seen a spec sheet on some Autosmart products? And many others. IX very safe. It's simply chemicals tested and harnessed to do a specific job.

I'm not sure I see the problem. Infact the reason CarPro don't sell Cquartz Finest to the public is for safety and health reasons. So it's not like they don't check these things.

Ah I missed your post before, cheers gally!

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200

Don't suppose you have had a response have you? This still gets bought up occasionally haha

megane 285 sport
ive recently found some other stuff on ebay called devils blood, the same as iron x but it bleeds red instead of purple when it reacts with the iron particles, and its cheaper then iron x, its £35ish for 5 litres.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
"I'll take the risk mate". I'll mention it again to Andy mate see if he'll type something up.

I prefer just to smile and nod my head when I know people are adamant they are right.

1.8 Civic EX
to save starting a new thread I'll stick it in here as it's kinda related...

Whats Iron X like for plastic trim? Owning a civic that has a lovely grey plastic trim around the whole lower edge of the car (arches/skirts etc) there isn't realy a way I could use IronX without it coming into contact (unless I tape it all up but I'm too lazy for that)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It won't affect trim, glass etc, I think it's even safe on Aluminium. Bare in mind it's pretty much PH neutral.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
ive recently found some other stuff on ebay called devils blood, the same as iron x but it bleeds red instead of purple when it reacts with the iron particles, and its cheaper then iron x, its £35ish for 5 litres.

Do you know what's in it? BUying things like from Ebay is mental imo.

If you don't want to buy IX buy Purple Rain or Iron out or Wolf's Deironizer but don't buy something off ebay like that.

The iron compound fragments react with the IronX solution. They break down and form a different solution (definition of a solution being a salt/solute dissolved in a solvent, i.e. the new compound dissolved in the IronX solution), hence the purple streaks showing through the originally clear liquid. And I'm guessing IronX contains a Sulphate of some sort, based on the smell, and based on the colour (purple) creates a Ferric Nitrate... Nitrates being soluble in water, thus creating the purple liquid. Yes it dissolves the metal fragments, but then again, water dissolves Sodium, which is metal (based on my memory of the periodic table) - willing to bet he doesn't think water is a bad idea over his car.

Tell him that. If he's still not satisfied, the smart arse, tell him to call me and I'll bore him to death. As in bore holes with drills, not talk.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I haven't mate, just an IX style product? I thought AutoWheel was their version?

I love BiltHamber, just ordered more Finis-Wax. Great company, great people, great products.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Excellent, I can't really comment on price as such. I don't pay £13 for a litre.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Do you know what's in it? BUying things like from Ebay is mental imo.

If you don't want to buy IX buy Purple Rain or Iron out or Wolf's Deironizer but don't buy something off ebay like that.

Doesnt sound like you know anymore about whats in ironx than he does about whats in the stuff he just bought off ebay though?

He does/we do. Because it's from a tried and tested product line from a reputable company. And I've also explained most of it above.

Would you buy a turbo from a random ebayer for your car?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Doesnt sound like you know anymore about whats in ironx than he does about whats in the stuff he just bought off ebay though?

Of course I know what's in it. You think i'd use something that wasn't tried and tested on paintwork?

If lots of other people have used Iron Death on their paintwork and it's been tested by professionals then great.

Bare in mind PolishedBliss and many many other detailer use this product on £100,000+ cars. They were also involved in the initial testing (PB no longer sell due to cost or they would still be using it)

330Ci cab
just used this for the first time, used nearly half a bottle just on the wheels! will it spray as a mist rather than a jet? obviously with a different spray head

Golf GT & A4 Avant
standard spray head is fine. just dont spray so much on next time. dont think ive ever used that much on a fukl car that had never been sealed or decontaminated before.
all comes down to user error im afraid

Status
Not open for further replies.