ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPhone 5.

This is a poll.

• Total voters

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Re: iPhone 5. Pre-Orders 14/9. Ships 21/9. iOS6 Today @ 6PM

Has anyone noticed there battery is better? Not sure if the update was supposed to have but i've been using my phone loads today and still on 85% when it'd usually be on 60 by now.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

I'm not even having to defend them. The maps are gone, they weren't Apple's to start with, okay Apple's own maps aren't great just now but it's hardly their forte. Maybe people would rather no maps to start with until they were right?

Apple were the ones who were responsible for the original mapping application, not google - google simply provided the maps, apple wrote the application. Whether they were constrained by their licensing deal with google, Apple never really updated the Maps application (barring compass when they added this into the hardware).

They've made a massive thing of their "war" on google and they made a massive thing of how brilliant the new maps were.

The plain and simple fact is, that iOS6 is to all intents and purposes iOS5 - "but a bit worse". The only redeeming feature of iOS6 is "do not disturb", but that's such a basic that it's unforgivable that it's not been in there since day 1.

Apple have a long track record of not listening to their iOS customers requests/ideas/gripes, it'll be interesting to see now that their back is to the wall what their response and actions will be.

Mediocrity is not something that one usually expects from Apple, but they've delivered it with abundance here.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Not too keen on new App Store. Don't like the way you have to scroll through the apps etc, and have to go in to apps to see ratings etc.

It's cack, developers told them that when it got pushed to us as well.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Maybe I don't use enough of my phone to actually care. :eek:

The maps are poor and I do agree they should not have bigged themselves up about it, surely they knew they weren't very good!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Maybe I don't use enough of my phone to actually care. :eek:

The maps are poor and I do agree they should not have bigged themselves up about it, surely they knew they weren't very good!

Im wth you tbh. I never really used maps that much. If i do, i can still use google.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

In Apples defence you have to remember a lot of their software is from acquisitions, one of which was C3 technologies. Reading the following article they are using some clever technology but I guess it's prone to problems that would no doubt be ironed out over releases.

http://9to5mac.com/2011/10/29/apple...s-looking-to-take-ios-maps-to-the-next-level/

C3 is used only for the 3D tech, the problem with iOS6 maps is not with the 3D but with the datasource used to build the geo data.

Apple can't aquire anybody (barring google) to fix that, fixing it requires a *lot* of time.

320d M Sport
The POI in the maps are non existent too. Even for basic essentials like McD lol. Misses most of them off.

Disappointed. Was hoping for better.

Map Fail..
Passbook fail.
App Store fail.

Maps would not have been so much of an issue if Apple had told people what to expect at launch.

Clio 172 cup

Battery seems better.

only problem so far is the screen dims and brightens at very random intervals.

not sure what thats all about

really?! so im gonna have to buy a 4s or 5 to get the full features of ios6!!! :boring: b*****ds! :mad: such a let down ... and i've only had my 4 for a few months lol

How are they 'b******s' because you bought a 2 year old phone?

CBR1000RR Fireblade

They have really dropped the ball on this one.

work for BMW

i dont have a clue about ios6 so ill ask .. should i install it on my iphone 4 and use it for a few weeks before i sell it or stick to ios5?

Last edited:
  Honda. Tesla Someday

I just can't believe how f*cked the maps are! I could defend Apple all day everyday but this is inexcusable!!! Jeez!!!!!

What a mess!!!

I know they wanted to do it all themselves and that is great... But... But... Just pay some other mapping company to provide the maps??? Join BING maps or something?? SOMETHING!!!!!!!!! This is getting stupid!!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Just pay some other mapping company to provide the maps??? Join BING maps or something?? SOMETHING!!!!!!!!! This is getting stupid!!

This is the problem. There aren't any.

Google have the best dataset, as mentioned earlier, they've been out with cars and built their own map dataset from the ground up. Not just roads either.

The others main players in geo data:

Navteq - Owned by Nokia.
Teleatlas - Owned by TomTom.

Hence Apple using Teleatlas as a datasource for their geo data, the problem with that is that it's mainly road data and as anybody who's just upgraded from 5 to 6 will tell you, there's more to maps than roads!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member

The most telling sign that Apple have f**ked up is when even Revels can't defend them, lol.

This.

The plain and simple fact is, that iOS6 is to all intents and purposes iOS5 - "but a bit worse". The only redeeming feature of iOS6 is "do not disturb", but that's such a basic that it's unforgivable that it's not been in there since day 1..

This too. It's even worse for a iPhone 4, because it doesn't really get any new features, just loses some. Oh, and FYI Apple, it's not acceptable to stop basic features being added in updates once a device gets over 2 years old.

Honda. Tesla Someday

This is the problem. There aren't any.

Google have the best dataset, as mentioned earlier, they've been out with cars and built their own map dataset from the ground up. Not just roads either.

The others main players in geo data:

Navteq - Owned by Nokia.
Teleatlas - Owned by TomTom.

Hence Apple using Teleatlas as a datasource for their geo data, the problem with that is that it's mainly road data and as anybody who's just upgraded from 5 to 6 will tell you, there's more to maps than roads!

I knew all the parts about Google, didnt know that other options were so limited. Damn. Thanks for the response :)

182 ff

so can someone tell me whats happened to my iphone 4 lol should i now just bin it lol !

Mountune Tractor

I have laugh at some people in this 'apple chat' section.
They could create a device that kills children and people would still come in here and defend it and say it was fine.

Think I'll send my 5 back tomorrow, get an S3.

Think I'll send my 5 back tomorrow, get an S3.

The beginning of the end.

ok, I'm talking balls - but I bet there are loads of people the world over feeling the same. And will do next week when the novelty of thier iPhone 5 has worn off.

They need to kiss and make up with google quick, otherwise this could get even shitter imo. Unless they have a super amazing version of maps all sorted and ready waiting to arrive when the 5 drops. But only available for the 5..

Bring back Steve.

Prong

ClioSport Club Member

Our 4s did the exact same thing last night. To fix this, turn your wifi off on your device, do a hard reset and turn wifi back on again.

This fixed our 4s last night. It seems to be working ok now.

Same thing happened to mine, did that and it's working again. Cheers

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member

Just had a text from Orange, my order is due tomorrow :D. That was with an order time of 11:15 14/09/12 for reference.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
When will the be realistically in a position to radically "upgrade" the maps app? One year, two years, five years!?

We know how long it took Google to get to the position they're in.

Apple really have dropped a bollock.

3D view is s**t too, why would I want 3D over street view?

MINI FJCW

Just had a text from Orange, my order is due tomorrow :D. That was with an order time of 11:15 14/09/12 for reference.

Was that as an upgrade or as a new customer?

Havent received a text yet and I am an existing Orange customer who upgraded.