ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 5 to MacBook Pro - Airdrop?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
So my girlfriend picked up her new MacBook Pro on Friday afternoon and I tried to Airdrop a couple of photos to her.
During the failed connects & reconnects, I noticed that this was a widespread (and well known) issue within the Apple community.

Is it really an issue, or is there a workaround? It seems astonishing to me that the simplicity in nature of the Apple devices, cannot cope (or hasn't been supported) to be able to Bluetooth to one another?

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I didn't think you could airdrop from OSX to iOS???

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...de--airdrop-for-os-x-mavericks-and-ios-7.html

Has this changed with iOS8?

Looks like you can't :( My iPhone 5 is on iOS8 and the MacBook Pro on Mavericks.
Clearly there are significant technical reasons for this - but I just thought it would work due to the cross platform nature of all Apple devices. Worse, is the fact that they connect (or appear to connect) for a few seconds and then disconnect.
I did read online that the Bluetooth codec support on the phone is for audio transfer only? Though that sounds a bit dodgy to me. Data is data, regardless of audio file, photograph, etc.

Definitely one of those 'features' that the anti-Apple camp can point their finger and simply laugh at..... ;)

D.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Exactly mate, I couldn't believe it initially (I'm lucky enough to have a 2.2k iMac).

May be Yosemite will offer the functionality :neutral:

As you say, data is data.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Looks like you can't 😧 My iPhone 5 is on iOS8 and the MacBook Pro on Mavericks.
Clearly there are significant technical reasons for this - but I just thought it would work due to the cross platform nature of all Apple devices. Worse, is the fact that they connect (or appear to connect) for a few seconds and then disconnect.
I did read online that the Bluetooth codec support on the phone is for audio transfer only? Though that sounds a bit dodgy to me. Data is data, regardless of audio file, photograph, etc.

Definitely one of those 'features' that the anti-Apple camp can point their finger and simply laugh at..... :wink:

D.
That explains why I can't airdrop with my iMac and 5s.
I did read somewhere that un-jailbroken iPhones only support 2 of the 10 Bluetooth protocols.
This is why iPhones can't be used with a Bluetooth OBD reader and only a Wi-Fi one.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Will work on yosemite if you have the correct hardware and iOS8

FF Clio 182
iPhone has to be running iOS 8 and your Macbook has to be running Yosemite. You need wifi and bluetooth turned on on both devices.