ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 4.0 Event April 8th

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
if anyone has any questions, I'll gladly post a screen-shot.

Still very shocked at how smooth it is, 3.0 beta was a joke! That took about 4 releases to become remotely stable.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
The option is there for all accounts. However, its not working on my exchange account.

This could be a bug.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
So tom theoretically is it going to be possible to see when you get a txt it popping up on top of the game your playing, reply to it and then carry on, ala Bitesms? Or is that still not going to be possible? thats one thing that really pisses me off.

Apart from that, the rest of it is possibly enough to make me not JB 4.0.

Cupra
Threaded mail looks quite good. 4.0 certainly appears to give almost everything that I use a JB for. Roll on this summer. :D

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
iWant :(

But the ad thing has put me into a mad rage, I pay for the iPhone, I pay for the contract, and you STILL want me to see adverts? On my phone? No ta.

If it pisses me off as much as I expect, I'll be jailbreaking when this update comes out, and I haven't done yet. lol!!!

Citroen DS3 DSport
Yeah from what I can gather the ads are for use in the free apps and appear as a banner that you can choose to click or not. Basically the same as they are now but you do not get exited out of the app when you click them.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
It pisses you off because you don't (Like many people) understand how it works.

iAd is designed to replace EXISTING ad's already within apps. Its not something that's running on the phone all the time.

Example;

Words with friends free.
Lots of shitty ad's that either open safari or end up taking you into the app store for no reason.
iAd is designed to replace those s**t ad's with non invasive ones that only take you into the ad if you select it.

Last edited:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
It pisses you off because you don't (Like many people) understand how it works.

iAd is designed to replace EXISTING ad's already within apps. Its not something that's running on the phone all the time.

Example;

Words with friends free.
Lots of shitty ad's that either open safari or end up taking you into the app store for no reason.
iAd is designed to replace those s**t ad's with non invasive ones that only take you into the ad if you select it.

Cool, thanks Sir Tom, I would have gone into some kind of mental fit if it got worse, not that I really use my iPhone as an iPhone, more of a phone/help me find things/not get lost tool.

05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy
But who wants any sort of ads?... If this is the route Apple are going down, then I think I will go else where. Any sort of ads is just to promote and make yet more money for Apple and its partners... How any of you think this is a good idea, is a mystery?.

Citroen DS3 DSport
We already have ads in free apps on the iPhone and in other platforms so there is nothing new here other than the method that they are delivered. I'm not really sure why this is suddenly a issue.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Sheesh, is it really that hard to grasp?

Apps already have adverts.

The advert system is currently provided by third party suppliers.

Apple are providing their own framework to app developers to use, which means the developer gets paid in a single place.

The only change for the end user is that when they click on an advert now the ad appears in app rather than the app closing and the user navigating off in safari.

In summary, NOTHING, NADA, ZIP has changed.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
does this new OS have any impact for my 3g iphone?

plus when is it released?

05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy
We already have ads in free apps on the iPhone and in other platforms so there is nothing new here other than the method that they are delivered. I'm not really sure why this is suddenly a issue.

Well maybe thats the reason why I won't buy an Iphone... How would you feel if full games (for consoles etc..) came up with ads all the time?. Product placement is slightly different but is just as bad imho.

I just don't like the sound of ads in any form on a mobile device or any other device. Its used purely as a marketing ploy to earn extra revenue, so that people with no brain are told that this is what they want and need on there device.... I am not a Apple hater & would even feel the same if any of the other OS were employing ads. Sadly, I fear that no matter what Apple do, in some peoples eyes - they do no wrong & in others, no right either!.

I have alot of respect for Apple for producing the Iphone, as if it wasn't for that device, we may still be left using mobile phones which we would now deem "sub par" in comparrison.

AK

M240i
Lol ^

Adverts are only on apps that are free.. Do you think developers are doing it out the goodness of their heart?
By bringing iAd apple is taking control of the adverts and stopping them bening so intrusive.

Exactly. It's not rocket science but if you don't have an iPhone, then it's easy to see how you don't understand.

At the moment, you get a free game and because it's free, they hope you'll buy the full version or something else, so there will be a link (in an awkward place so you keep pressing it) and it might take you to the AppStore or open Safari. Both of those things interrupt the game you're playing and are generally s**t. The ads look crap. So now with iAd, this means more games will be free. More developers will be attracted to the platform. At the moment it's very difficult for a game to be noticed.

Now the ads will look a look better, won't send you into other programs and will generally be a much better experience.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
Again, you haven't read or understand the problem! You BUY games for a console and thats how revenue is generated. There are free games on the iphone which are funded through adverts, there are also paid for games which have no adverts exactly like games consoles. Its not like your going to buy a game for 59p and it be littered with adverts, its only free games that will have ads which is exactly the same as it is now. The only difference is how the user interacts with the ads.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
FYI the inclusion of adverts is nothing new.

I remember several apps from VERY old platforms (S60 v2, UIQ, WINMOB 2003 SE) that included advertising within paid apps, not just free ones.

I even had a couple of apps running add's in some Palm III software.

New post by Geohot with a interesting image:

geohot-jailbreak.jpg

Shows the new 4.0 firmware already jailbroken lol

Revels Mum & Sister
I believe this exploit was detected in the 3.1.3 Firmware however they are not releasing this or the 4.0 until the Official OS release so Apple cannot patch it quickly. Hence it was done so quick.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
if anyone has any questions, I'll gladly post a screen-shot.

Still very shocked at how smooth it is, 3.0 beta was a joke! That took about 4 releases to become remotely stable.

I may install this tonight then, I jumped in on OS 3.0 early and it was as you say bugging as hell. Reason I haven't installed OS 4.0 yet.

Would also be nice If o2 would actually unlock my phone instead of saying it's done which it's fecking not! Gimps!!!

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Has anyone actually managed to get beta 1 os 4.0 installed and running on the iPhone using windows? Fecking errors doing my head in now. Seems plenty others are having similar issues

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Has anyone actually managed to get beta 1 os 4.0 installed and running on the iPhone using windows? Fecking errors doing my head in now. Seems plenty others are having similar issues

At the minute it can only be installed using a mac.

Ive installed it running leopard through vmware.

Bit long winded but it works.

Id wait though as im sure they'll fix the issue soon for windows users.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
It's a stupid error that should never have happened to be honest! Anyway I had vmware waiting, b*****d slow apparently but still.

I may shoot home get my files etc and shoot back to work and use a mac in repro. Apparently windows is fine with syncing etc it's just the install it s***s itself on right?

Citroen DS3 DSport
The Beta is meant purely for development purposes and you can only develop for the iPhone using a Mac so I doubt Apple will rush to release a Windows compatible installation.

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Im sure i had the same problem with the last 3.0 beta on a windows machine which they fixed later on.......Maybe wrong though.

Had a mac then so wasn't too much of an issue.

They where releasing betas weekly at one stage last year.....just hoping my vmware installation continues to work.