ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 4.0 Event April 8th

57 Clio Campus Sport
Yeh, this is what I can't understand, something written by gsm arena.

Remember iPhone OS 4.0 is being made mainly for iPhone 4 which is rumoured to have a front mounted camera. There will most likely be some features of iPhone OS 4.0 that will only work on iPhone 4

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Multitasking is a must on this.

I have multitasking anyway because of my JB, (i also have bluetooth :D) but multitasking without JB is a must for me.

Will be watching this eagerly

Oh and Revels, its 2-1 to me on words with friends, hit me up with a new game if you want to redeem yourself.

AK

M240i
Revels kicks my ass on words with friends lol..

He's too scared to play chess with friends tho..

DB.

BMW 440i
As this comes out, ill regret getting my 3gs not that long ago! Until then, i shall enjoy my Iphone and the fact that my old sh*tter of a samsung was only good for phoning and texting. Pffft!

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
I've beat sarah172 once too iirc, we're half way through a second game.

Another feature I want (which i have through jb called bitesms) is for text messages to pop up and u can reply to them over the top of the app your on.

With bitesms if you get a txt whilst in a game, it pauses the game and the txt pops up on screen with a reply box, u just type your reply in the box, click send and then carry on txting. So much easier. Thats kind of multitasking again tho.

57 Clio Campus Sport
Multitasking is a must on this.

I have multitasking anyway because of my JB, (i also have bluetooth :D) but multitasking without JB is a must for me.

Will be watching this eagerly

Oh and Revels, its 2-1 to me on words with friends, hit me up with a new game if you want to redeem yourself.

What do you use for this? Backgrounder or something else?

Another feature I want (which i have through jb called bitesms) is for text messages to pop up and u can reply to them over the top of the app your on.

With bitesms if you get a txt whilst in a game, it pauses the game and the txt pops up on screen with a reply box, u just type your reply in the box, click send and then carry on txting. So much easier. Thats kind of multitasking again tho.

I saw that it looks alright but have to pay for it which is poop

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Yeh backgrounder, I used to use something else forget what but backgrounder is much better imo.

Bluetooth I use bluenova (costs money unless you know where to get it free, pm me)

57 Clio Campus Sport
When you say multi tasking, can you actually use to apps at once?

It lets apps keep running in the background, so say your part way through a game, you hold home button and it lets it run in background while you go use another app, then you just go back in app and hold home again to quit as usual deactivating the background running. You can do this to as many apps as you want so could run loads at once, not sure how iPhone battery would fare though.

BTW got iBluenova now, and bitesms (you can schedule texts, cool) lol :p

57 Clio Campus Sport
Well kinda yeah, but it keeps it running, which is multitasking, you can't exactly use 2 apps at once can you?

No, because that would be true multi tasking, using 2 at once, what it does isnt really multi tasking.

So it just keeps it open in the background for you to then reopen it when you need it? Any faster loading etc?

57 Clio Campus Sport
What would you need it to do to make it true multitasking then? I don't get how it isn't multi tasking...If your on a mac/pc you can have loads of programs open but you can only actually do one thing at a time? This is the same. The programs keep running, when you click on it, there is no load times, it opens exactly where you left it?

True multi tasking is simultaneous performance of two or more tasks at the same time, so this would maybe be playing an mp3 while browsing the web? What its doing isnt really multi tasking.

57 Clio Campus Sport
True multi tasking is simultaneous performance of two or more tasks at the same time, so this would maybe be playing an mp3 while browsing the web? What its doing isnt really multi tasking.

Well the example you used, the iPhone does out of the box.

AK whats your words with friends?

My battery was just on 3%, I was playing WWF and then this girl knocked on knocking and it died!!! ahhh

Last edited:

AK

M240i
172Ben said:

It does that already lol..

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
The multitasking backgrounder does is... say for example your playing a game, a text comes through, you just leave the game running in the background, reply to your text, then go back to it and it will be exactly as u paused it instantly as soon as u open it.

Normally if you close the game you then open it, and it has to reload itself, then u have to start the level again or whatever.

It also makes switching between specific apps easy because they are on a "roll" kinda thing, and u just flick between the 2 screens your using instead of going through your menus.

57 Clio Campus Sport
It also makes switching between specific apps easy because they are on a "roll" kinda thing, and u just flick between the 2 screens your using instead of going through your menus.

I didn't realise that, thats cool, how do you use that function?

I think thats what were going to get it 4.0, how much further can multitasking go?

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Just saw your post further up, u can get bitesms for free too if u know how :p lol.

On backgrounder u just hold down the home button and it opens the "roll" of all currently running programs and u can just flick between them. I suppose proper multitasking I guess would be like on your comp where u can have loads of programs open at once and can even use 2 at exactly the same time alongside each other. But for a phone what I described would be perfectly adequate IMO.

AK

M240i
No bad.

I only recently go my 3gs and it doesn't sound as if there will be much hardware change tbh so I'm not all that bothered about the new one.. unless they only release 4.0 on the new one...

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
interesting, wonder how the 3g/2g will run with multitasking, or if it'll be 3gs+ only.

57 Clio Campus Sport
If they did manage to get it on them it would probably be quite slow. I think the 3GS will do it alright but they will probably add more power to iPhone 4 so it can do it really well.

dk

911 GTS Cab
i'm not sure i want multitasking at the probable expense of yet worse battery life and a slower phone. I don't have an issue with how things work at the moment.

with previous nokias, it was a pain that apps didn't close and you had to go in and close them when the phone started to run slow.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I'd like the ability to choose up to 3 apps that I can have multitask which would then make services such as Spotify more worthwhile on the iPhone.

I have no desire for multi-tasking. Can't think of any situation where it would offer added value for me. Someone feel free to point one out though of course.

People have mentioned wireless sync with itunes.

I've lost enough data because of itunes through a cable, not sure I want my phone talking to itunes without some kind of pysical connection! Paranoid much.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I have no desire for multi-tasking. Can't think of any situation where it would offer added value for me. Someone feel free to point one out though of course.
i thought this and then someone just said to me having skype running in the background would be useful, and i tend to agree.

i am in a class for course today, and out of 8 people on the course, 7 people have iphones on the desk lol.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Does it not Annoy u Roy how u have to close down what your doing to reply to a txt then load it up again? Multitasking would in theory like bitesms does for me allow you to just reply to the text on the fly and then carry on, no need to close and open apps. It's not a big deal but it does make it much nicer to use IMO.

Tappd'd RS
I can't help but think that wireless sync would be incredibly useful.

How often have i downloaded tunes or added playlists in iTunes and forgot to connect my iPhone only to find out when I'm on the train that I've forgotten to do it.