ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPad Mini

133/225/CLS AMG
Ouch!

Anyone planning on selling their 3rd gen for a 4th gen?

Not likely for me. Having used my Mrs iPad 2 and my '3' next to each other, in the real world they don't do things that differently. I mean you can surf the web quickly, play a few tablet style games but the retina display in the 3 main noticeable difference. Ok so the new one is 'twice as fast' but in reality even the iPad 2 isn't slow!!

Wonder whats going to happen regarding iOS upgrades associated with the iPad 3rd gen.

Will it be ring fenced with the iPad 2nd gen or 4th gen?

If it's 2nd gen then apple have potentially shortened it's life by a good 6+ months.

I can't imagine they'll shaft it with the OS updates too much as the iPad Mini is based on the 2. You'd like to think they'll take that into account in future.

Anyone planning on selling their 3rd gen for a 4th gen?

I'm not. But I'm disappointed, as come the '5' launch, my 3 will be worth considerably less (compared to previous years) as there's now a 4.

Tom mentioned the 4 has a 720p front camera, I was under the impression the 3 had that anyway?

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I'm not. But I'm disappointed, as come the '5' launch, my 3 will be worth considerably less (compared to previous years) as there's now a 4.

Tom mentioned the 4 has a 720p front camera, I was under the impression the 3 had that anyway?

Nah mate, 0.3MP VGA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad_(3rd_generation)

In going to wait till the next release and trade then (providing there's nothing better on the market).

I can see Apple's dominance deminishing over the next few years tbh.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I'd like to see Apple offer some sort of trade option for 3rd gen customers.

3rd gen + cash = 4th gen.

Not that it'll happen but it might be enough to help retain some lost custom.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Unsure which one to get, the 16gb Mini or the 16gb 4th Gen. The only thing putting me off the Mini is it running the same A5 chip as the iPad 2.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I'm sure there's a f**king echo in here.

Unsure which one to get, the 16gb Mini or the 16gb 4th Gen. The only thing putting me off the Mini is it running the same A5 chip as the iPad 2.

Even if it is (and we don't know if it is the same clock speed ) the a5 is far from a bad chip. Even by today's standards. So put those fears away.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Is it really that big a deal?

The ipad 3 has essentially the same processor as the 2, in fact sometimes the 2 is faster. But nobody cared before.

Now all of a sudden it's a huge issue.

Upgrades happen. That's progress.

Clio 172
They can't win. There's no way they can bring out a new product, without annoying people who bought it a day before. Even if they announce it months in advance, people will still get cheesed off. Yeah it's a bit annoying its only a 6 month gap, but it's hardly a brand new device, with ground breaking new features. People have no need to upgrade from the 3. You can't have the newest products forever

Mountune Tractor
£269! I don't think so somehow.
SJ was right, there is no need for these things which is exactly the reason I am buying an iPad this Xmas and not a mini.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63

The ipad 3 has essentially the same processor as the 2, in fact sometimes the 2 is faster. But nobody cared before.

Now all of a sudden it's a huge issue.

Well a 6 month product is now obsolete (not from a technical perspective but from a product line perspective). A product that was probably sold to many on the basis of it being latest tech is no longer available for sale.

Over the past x years Apple has set a refresh trend, customers have bought into this trend as have most of Apple's staff.

Many base their purchasing decisions on expectations, unfortunately on this occasion many will believe their expectations haven't been met.

It's not all about the technology.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member

We're talking spending hundreds of pounds here.

I could understand if Apple couldn't backdate some features because of hardware issues, but to deliberately limit functionality for sheer bloody mindedness is stupid. And when you're paying significant sums of money it takes the piss if it's obsolete so soon after.

Remember how many precious metals (in limited supply) are inside these devices, is it really economical to make everyone get another one after a couple of years?

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
We're talking spending hundreds of pounds here.

I could understand if Apple couldn't backdate some features because of hardware issues, but to deliberately limit functionality for sheer bloody mindedness is stupid. And when you're paying significant sums of money it takes the piss if it's obsolete so soon after.

Remember how many precious metals (in limited supply) are inside these devices, is it really economical to make everyone get another one after a couple of years?

Maximising profits mate. Nothing more, nothing less.

Christmas is just round the corner remember ;)

My only annoyance is from an upgrade perspective next Spring. I (and I assume many others) could afford to upgrade yearly because the depreciation on the outgoing model was so minimal. This will presumably be more of an issue next year.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
Not sure if this has been asked, but how come the Mini has Siri, yet the Ipad 2 doesn't? Run the same processor don't they? Same memory? Same storage space?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Not sure if this has been asked, but how come the Mini has Siri, yet the Ipad 2 doesn't? Run the same processor don't they? Same memory? Same storage space?

its newer and nobody knows what the mini is running other than its an A5.

Siri was introduced with the 4S, anything before that wont get it.

No one knows what the new ipad will be like, as its not out yet.. Alot of people have been saying the 5 chips, whether they will use the same finish on the mini we don't know
Well the finish looks near identical, which would make sense, was just asking if anyone with a 5 would recommend against buying something with the same material back, but twice as big so more open to damage.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Well the finish looks near identical, which would make sense, was just asking if anyone with a 5 would recommend against buying something with the same material back, but twice as big so more open to damage.

its more the orders and edges that chip tbh rather than the back scratching. My 5 has been pretty resistant to scratches on the back but it's chipped to feck on the edges and corners

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63

You just need to be careful. My second 5 came with a tiny chip but I chose to ignore it.

I know others have chosen to go naked but I went for the safer option and bought a case.

If I buy a black mini I'll definitely buy a case, it's just not worth the risk.

Great excuse to buy a switcheasy canvas :)

its more the orders and edges that chip tbh rather than the back scratching. My 5 has been pretty resistant to scratches on the back but it's chipped to feck on the edges and corners

Ah I see, sounds like the iPad might weather better then.

You just need to be careful. My second 5 came with a tiny chip but I chose to ignore it.

I'm too OCD to ignore a chip, maybe white is the sensible option! :eek:

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Just sold a few unused items to create enough funds for an iPad. I'm going to have a test on the Mini in the Apple shop before I make my decision.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
You wont get one this side of christmas unless you preorder i suspect.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I'm too OCD to ignore a chip, maybe white is the sensible option! :eek:

It's tiny mate, most probably can't even see it, besides IT WILL get chipped over time.

White might be the better option if you're really bothered.

Is this going to sell pretty quickly?
Thinking of if i'll need to definitely preorder tomorrow to have in time for my mum's birthday at the end of November, is there much chance of this going the same route as the iPhone's when they launch? i.e 3-4 week delay etc..

^ Personally, I can't see demand for these being as high as the iPhone 5, but I still wouldn't leave it too long before ordering.

Ill be preordering tomorrow after work I imagine.

M2 Comp
Actually think I prefer the size of the Mini over the normal iPad!

Thinking of ordering one for the missus for xmas!