ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPad Mini

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
How is everyone finding the screen? The lack of retina screen is the only thing putting me off at the moment.

The screen is better than the 2 but not as good as a Retina'd device. Obvious really lol.

So far, I've not experienced the horrendous pixelation that a lot of folk (Most probably people that have never tried one) complain about.

Only downside is the speaker grill on the bottom edge hurt my pinky the way I hold it in portrait mode.

Have you used one yourself? You seem very against the mini.

I am in principle yes, mainly because Apple strive to make the best products. Full stop. The mini seems to be the first time they've bodged something together to fill a gap in the market.

You seem to come in here to talk yourself out of buying one a lot.

Either that, or you're trolling, no one is making you buy one! ;)

Very true. One thing that's bugging me is that my 1st gen ipod touch is showing its age, and the battery isnt lasting anywhere near as long now. But the 32GB one is only £30 less than a mini!

I will never get one (this gen anyway). I bought my Mum an ipad 2 when it came out, and I don't see the point in having a smaller version of something I already have, with exactly the same technology. If it had retina, and some other bells and whistles then I might be tempted. But Apple stupidly decided against it.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I am in principle yes, mainly because Apple strive to make the best products. Full stop. The mini seems to be the first time they've bodged something together to fill a gap in the market.

Very true. One thing that's bugging me is that my 1st gen ipod touch is showing its age, and the battery isnt lasting anywhere near as long now. But the 32GB one is only £30 less than a mini!

I will never get one (this gen anyway). I bought my Mum an ipad 2 when it came out, and I don't see the point in having a smaller version of something I already have, with exactly the same technology. If it had retina, and some other bells and whistles then I might be tempted. But Apple stupidly decided against it.

You can't really argue with this unfortunately.

DB.

BMW 440i

It has hardly been bodged, you're starting to sound like the Daily Mail with these exaggerations.

Filling a gap in their product range is part of their strategy, not just something done on a whim.

It's not made as an upgrade for those who have 2's, but for those looking for a smaller, or cheaper alternative.

Ok bodged is probably not the best term, but the fact it shares the same tech as the ipad 2 which is no two generations old (which in Apple time is now like a year old!)

LY 182

I'll reserve judgement until I've had mine for a week or so to give a proper review.

Your opinion seems to be formed fully on the specs rather than the far greater portability, which has to be one of the key selling points. If specs were all people cared about nobody would buy a Macbook or an iMac at the prices they sell for.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Ok bodged is probably not the best term, but the fact it shares the same tech as the ipad 2 which is no two generations old (which in Apple time is now like a year old!)

It's got an A5. The ipad 2 has an a5.

Other than that, they don't share anything.

You're thinking of it the wrong way; the mini is viewed of as a separate product - it's irrelevant that it might have 'older' specs. Unless you're really anal, you won't even notice anyway.

In all honesty, I kind of had a similar opinion to you until I had a play with one to other day; properly impressed me.

True again.

As a frequent flyer/traveller, the mini should be right up my street...I would love to loan one for a couple of trips to 'review' it too. But I ain't spunking out £269 to do it.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member

From what I've read, it seems you've misunderstood the mini mate.

It was never intended as an upgrade/replacement for the iPad. In the same respect the Macbook Air wasn't for the Macbook Pro, or the iPod Nano wasn't for the iPod. It's filling a gap in Apples products, one which at the moment falls in a very popular market - the smaller tablet.

It's aim of being smaller/more portable/cheaper than the standard iPad has been met. Has it worked? Based on Apples sale figures yes it has!

And in terms of people swapping their iPad for the smaller one...maybe people quite simply just want the smaller one?

From what I've seen I think it's a great product!

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
I agree completely, BUT they haven't made it as good as they could/should.

That's my only gripe with it really.

Quite probably true mate.

But in their shoes if they made the Mini with the same chip & screen as the New iPad, and charged around £150/£160 less than the RRP of it, I'd imagine sales of the larger iPad would be MASSIVELY reduced. And I'm sure they don't want that to happen!

LY 182
But they have to upgrade the mini 2 to retina, it'll be interesting to see how they separate the two product lines then.

For sure. But they'll cross that bridge when they get to it.

For now they've successfully entered the smaller tablet market with an iPad that has generally been very well received, and they still have it's big brother kicking ass too.

LY 182
I agree completely, BUT they haven't made it as good as they could/should.

That's my only gripe with it really.

This statement is funny because it's one that can be argued for and against.

Pretty much every product isn't as good as it could / should be. They just refreshed the main iPad after all, so the 3rd generation wasn't as good as it could have been.

I think the main issue is people are now so used to the retina display it seems strange to not have it.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
They should have used the same tech that's in the iPad 3.

Snag with that is it would alienate iPad 3 owners.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
Lets be honest here. The only reason Apple have not included a retina display and the chip from an iPad 3/4 is so that they have a way of upgrading it next year.

Not that it has bothered me, I still bought one and I think it's great.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Lets be honest here. The only reason Apple have not included a retina display and the chip from an iPad 3/4 is so that they have a way of upgrading it next year.

Not that it has bothered me, I still bought one and I think it's great.

They are just maximising profits.

High price + cheaper tech = maximised profits.

They'll build in line with customer expectations (let's be fair most customers won't notice or don't care).

Obviously they didn't deem the retina worth the increased price/financial hit.

Clio 172
Not sure if its been answered, but does the mini have Siri? Guess no as it has the same processor as the 2

It does, yes.

siri_gallery_siri_1.png

Clio 172
Interesting, of course, the processor could be entirely different (if it has Siri, then I'm sure it is. Mainly as the whole reason the 2 didn't get it was because it didn't have voice processing (IIRC) on the processor)

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
This 'processor doesn't have the right facilities' is b****cks. Before Apple bought the developers out, Siri was developed as an app that could run on most iOS devices at the time, and they were also building an android version (which is probably why the takeover happened)

hmmm might get one of these, not a fan of the full size version, too big for surfing slouched on the sofa.

Is it in stock in many apple stores? The website has a 2 week wait.

Never above 25mpg
Saw one in the Apple store in Bath on Wednesday, gorgeous devices but the screen would put me off, I would pay the extra for the retina iPad.

The screen sounds off putting but in the flesh I'm sure it's still great, gonna try and have a play with one at the weekend. iPad is too big personally.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
This 'processor doesn't have the right facilities' is b****cks. Before Apple bought the developers out, Siri was developed as an app that could run on most iOS devices at the time, and they were also building an android version (which is probably why the takeover happened)

The Siri app before was text based. So slightly different.

It's all done server side anyway, so it's got nothing to do with processing.

Clio 172
Think I'm gonna get one for the girlfriend for Xmas. Well, if they have them in stock I will..