ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPad Mini

LY 182
I've ordered a mini because of the portability. Currently trying to get a job in London so if I do end up commuting the mini would be much more ideal for my needs.

AKA I'm poor. :eek:

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Zero hype to the average Joe. Last I heard it was just a Daily Mail story.

Looks brilliant for yuppie LDN commuter tbf. iPad is still top for a sofa companion though.

2.2 bar shed.
If the 'mini' is small enough to sit in my suit pocket I might grab one as it'll save carrying my 2 around. Serious might though. Seems fairly pointless to me for everything else.

I've not really been following this thread or iPad mini news - so just wondered; how does it deal with iPhone apps? Does it resize them like you can on the iPad? and can you run standard iPad apps on it? Including ones specifically remade for the retina display of the New iPad/Old New iPad/iPad 3/whatever.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Just visited a store to check it out.

It's a lovely bit of kit, very very well made. Makes the nexus 7 look like a cheap toy. (But it would, as it's £100 more nearly)

Prefer the form factor, but there's no way I'm not having a retina one.

I'll have a 2nd gen.

LY 182
Just visited a store to check it out.

It's a lovely bit of kit, very very well made. Makes the nexus 7 look like a cheap toy. (But it would, as it's £100 more nearly)

Prefer the form factor, but there's no way I'm not having a retina one.

I'll have a 2nd gen.

I'm really tempted to go to my local store to have a quick play with one as well, but it's a 20 minute drive and is probably a bit pointless.

I'm hoping I won't find the screen too much of an issue. My 13" MBP's screen is far from retina so I'm thinking it won't be a massive issue for me. And it's not like I've had the bigger iPad with retina display beforehand.

I'm hoping I won't find the screen too much of an issue. My 13" MBP's screen is far from retina so I'm thinking it won't be a massive issue for me. And it's not like I've had the bigger iPad with retina display beforehand.

I like your thinking and I've got an MBP, love the display on full HD, so if it's anything near to that I'll be more than happy!

How does the spec compare to the MBP, if at all?

LY 182
I like your thinking and I've got an MBP, love the display on full HD, so if it's anything near to that I'll be more than happy!

How does the spec compare to the MBP, if at all?

In terms of numbers I have no idea. I just know that looking at my MBP the icons aren't perfectly crisp and I can always make out pixels. So if it's similar to that I'm unlikely to be too bothered.

LY 182
Just phoned up my local store in Milton Keynes.

They have some 32GB in stock. They can't tell me how many or reserve one for me. Tempted to bomb down there after work and see if there's one available. Then I can just cancel my online order. Can't swap my order over which is a pain.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Took a delivery today...

ava9e7yg.jpg

Now only 2 weeks wait for the iPad to be delivered :sick:

LY 182
Haha what a bunch of teases!

I'll be calling Apple before I leave work at 4.30 and hope they have some stock left in store. They'll probably have run out by then knowing my luck.

Clio 172
Still wondering if the finish is gonna be as "poor" as the 5? I guess the ipad will be more durable though, doesn't go in your pockets etc

Clio 172
The finish on the iPhone 5 isn't poor at all.
I've had mine since the day after release, not a mark on it and looks as new condition.

Poor was a poor choice of words (lol)

I haven't got one, the horror stories of it chipping away quite easily scares me tbh, it looks far too good to live in a case. Quite a few people on here have said it too. Just wondered if the ipad is so easily marked

DB.

BMW 440i
So question is, how does the screen compare to the new retina iPad, is it that noticable?

Z4
Typical Apple troll.

Not really.
I own the new iPad, iPhone 4, Mac mini, iPod classic, iPod nano, and more. Each has a purpose.

I don't see the point in this product other than to sell out. It hasn't been made to its full potential by any means.

LY 182
Not really.
I own the new iPad, iPhone 4, Mac mini, iPod classic, iPod nano, and more. Each has a purpose.

I don't see the point in this product other than to sell out. It hasn't been made to its full potential by any means.

Obviously they're looking to completely dominate the market, but there is certainly a demographic for it.

They say they used the iPad 2 display to keep costs down and keep compatibility with the app ecosystem which makes sense. But I think just as importantly it gives them plenty of scope for the 2nd model. They'll be able to sell that with a retina display etc.

Last edited:
  Clio 172
Not really.

Allright, Take it back! Sorry

I personally don't want one, dont need it. I have an ipad 2, and haven't thought once of getting rid of it for the mini, the 4th gen? Yeah I'm tempted, the mini, no. I can definitely see the attraction though. Commuters who read the paper/book on the train, suits them perfectly. I do find the ipad is a bit too bulky to get out on the train. Personal opinion though. I don't see it useful anywhere else, my ipad is the perfect size for everything else's do.

But, as you say, I know of 5 people who are buying one, as they can't justify the 400+ for a "proper" ipad. Catering for another market, or exploiting its fans, you decide.

Not sure if I agree that they are just making it to sell out, they will make an absolute killing on it yes, with Christmas coming too. But as Munson did say, the whole days of "apple = baller spec" does seem to be slipping away with this latest product.

They are a company though, if they can make millions on a product that fills a so called "market gap" then they will, who blames them. They won't sit back and think they are too good for low priced stuff