ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPad 3 - Released March 16th. Pre-Orders start 7th March

dk

911 GTS Cab
I've been using mine since launch solidly and no issues so far, I don't even think the battery is any worse as first thought, I think the % is just more accurate, it used to slowly go down for the first 30 odd (like a car fuel gauge, always takes ages to start moving but when it does it flies down) and then go down quicker at the end, now it goes down evenly, it's still going to solidly give me 10+ hrs of use.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Its definitely better. But not 3GS to iPhone 4 better.

Tbh i used my dads original ipad last week, i'd still be happy with one of those tbh. The 3rd gen just makes everything look awesome.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
I had a little play with one in an Apple Reseller in Leeds yesterday.

The screen does look good, however I don't think the difference is as big from the iPad 2 as some are making out.

I thought seeing one in the flesh would make me want to sell my 2 and get one. However it did not.

I guess it's all down to personal opinion though. From here I can see a lot are saying it's been a worthwhile upgrade.

One advantage of the new one however; it enabled me to buy my iPad 2 for £250 ;)

dk

911 GTS Cab
I had a little play with one in an Apple Reseller in Leeds yesterday.

The screen does look good, however I don't think the difference is as big from the iPad 2 as some are making out.

I thought seeing one in the flesh would make me want to sell my 2 and get one. However it did not.

I guess it's all down to personal opinion though. From here I can see a lot are saying it's been a worthwhile upgrade.

One advantage of the new one however; it enabled me to buy my iPad 2 for £250 ;)

So nobody upgraded from a standard definition tv to a HD one just for the screen?

Thats what we are talking about here, moving from standard def to high def in a tablet, with a tv, everything else is the same, just the picture is twice as good, same thing here, but with extra added bonuses. Nobody complained about buying a new tv and 'only' getting twice as good a screen.

The screen is the single most important component, it's the thing you are in constant interaction with.

If you can't tell the massive improvement, then you are in denial (which you probably are as you bought an iPad 2 as it was cheaper).

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Its not just the Res, for me its more the colour reproduction. Which is the best I've ever seen on any display.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
LOL at being in denial.

Perhaps he was thinking VFM when making the purchase decision?

I played with a new one recently - granted the screen is mightily impressive...but spend £x to change from my iPad 2? No thanks.

The comparison with HD TVs I don't think holds too much water tbh either...on a 50inch screen you need high res or else everything looks blocky and, well, crap.

On a 10 inch (or whatever it is) tablet, on my iPad 2, everything looks fine, clear and manageable enough for what I want it to do. There's no denial here.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
So nobody upgraded from a standard definition tv to a HD one just for the screen?

Thats what we are talking about here, moving from standard def to high def in a tablet, with a tv, everything else is the same, just the picture is twice as good, same thing here, but with extra added bonuses. Nobody complained about buying a new tv and 'only' getting twice as good a screen.

The screen is the single most important component, it's the thing you are in constant interaction with.

If you can't tell the massive improvement, then you are in denial (which you probably are as you bought an iPad 2 as it was cheaper).

OK. Thanks.

I think you need another quick read through what I wrote before you get all excited and fall off your chair again. That was my opinion after going and using one. It was in no way fact written in stone.

Once again, I went and bought the 2 after using the 3 and not seeing the upgrade worthwhile to myself. And that's down to a lot of things I guess. The amount I'd use it, what I'd use it for etc. I didn't see the extra £150 feasable. But that's mainly because I have a lot of other priorities that would see more use from the £150.

Please note in my above comment: 'I guess it's all down to personal opinion though. From here I can see a lot are saying it's been a worthwhile upgrade.'

If upgrading from the 2 to the 3 was enough of an impact on your life that you felt the need to argue with others purchase choices, then that's great :)

For me personally however, I didn't think that for what I'll use it for and the amount of use it'll get it was worthwhile.

Opinions are wonderful things.

Last edited:
Comparing them side by side I don't think gives a true appeal of how great it is. You don't notice that much of a difference.

Use the new one for a week. Then pick up the old one. It looks awful.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
Comparing them side by side I don't think gives a true appeal of how great it is. You don't notice that much of a difference.

Use the new one for a week. Then pick up the old one. It looks awful.

That probably is the case mate. And I'm not avoiding how good the screen looks on the new one. It looks fantastic.

For my personal needs though and with just buying a house I couldn't see the extra cost VFM at the moment.

A few inches?! Are you that blind?!

When I borrow my Mums, I hold it around 2-3 feet away.

An iphone you hold much closer, to the retina display is more 'relevant'.

A few inches?! Are you that blind?!

When I borrow my Mums, I hold it around 2-3 feet away.

An iphone you hold much closer, to the retina display is more 'relevant'.

Yes. I don't hold it out at arm's length. I'd say it's normally no more than 24" away from my eyes. Also, surely you only hold the iPhone much closer because it's much smaller? Whole point proven and closed in one post?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
LOL. Lets argue about something else. Like why i cant see behind the iPad with the front camera.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
So all apple needed to do was enclose the iPad 2 in a 3ft sphere. Granted you couldn't touch it, but it would look the same.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Chop 2 index fingers off, attach the pole. Voila! Double finger stylus'.

I'm suggesting that a screen which is near your face needs a higher PPI count than one which isn't.

All references to televisions are VOID.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Yeah.

The TV reference is void, because a 60 inch running 1080p would have terrible PPI.

1080p on a 42" TV is 52PPI

He's suggesting you are suggesting that the further away you have it the less you notice the resolution. Which is correct, i think.

Well of course that's correct.

Any device that you hold at a further distance, you will notice the increased resolution less.

The point I made about the iPhone is: as you naturally hold the iPhone closer, the difference between a non retina display and a retina display is greater. I know, as I'm typing on an iPhone 4, with a gen 1 iPod touch next to me.

I'm not saying a retina display on the new iPad is pointless, just not as big of a deal compared to the iPhone.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Its less noticeable, but its the same improvement from the 3GS to the 4 - if you measure the increase as a percentage.

Everyone raved about that. (including you just then)

True.

I must admit when I use my iPod, it's like a have cataracts! So I can only assume going from an iPad '3' to an iPad 2 would be the same. (just less noticeable )

All I know is I want one. In white.

Then again I've always been super disappointed with my iPad 2. I don't do fuzzy fonts. It's 2012.