ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insuring Modification???

Status
Not open for further replies.
  RS6 C7
i have been modifying my car for the last couple of months, nothing stupid , Lowered 40mm deep dish alloys with stretched tyres, twin exhaust and a couple of other bits, I know not one of my mates have insured anything they have done but is this a good idea?? i have been pulled a couple of times but they dont seem to bothered as long as you have the main things in order, M.O.T, Insurance, Tax etc..., I know if i declared my mods i wouldnt be able to afford the insurance as im already paying £2000 a year for a 1.6 16v, i am 18 so insurance sucks... Heres a picture of my car, its not to everyones taste i know ;)
clio002.jpg

clio001.jpg

Last edited:
If you crash your insurance is void. No ifs, no buts.

If you crash and you were to kill someone, with technically no insurance, you're going to prison.

This thread is going to get ugly :dapprove:

Astra Twintop
Get the mods declared.

Its people like you that are pushing my premiums up.

If / when you prang it, the insurance wont be valid.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
There are some things that I wouldn't bother declaring (the boot lip spoiler on my car for example), but I'd definitely be declaring what you have done. They are hardly subtle mods, as you call them.

RS6 C7
YES 2k and i know my friends who has just passed pays £3500 for a mk1 1.2.., What am i supposed to do pay even more to insure it?, i am going to insure the suspension because i know that wont make a huge difference but im not sure about the rest.

chumpmobile
do the suspension and wheels and it shouldnt be too bad

get a recessed system man, they wont even be able to tell!

Jap Box
as im already paying £2000 a year for a 1.6 16v

Consider yourself lucky, im paying £1800 to insure a 1.2 8v with springs. A 1.6 will cost me £4k to insure.

Without declaring them you mayaswel not have any insurance, as technically your not covered anyway.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
What's the point in paying £2k for basically no insurance?

If someone pulls out on you and destroys your car, then takes the blame you won't get a pay out,
god forbid you cause an accident and hurt or kill someone, you could do time for it.

Am I right in thinking it's only really springs and wheels?
Can't see that being too much more.

RS6 C7
Ye i was thinking of getting a hidden exhaust, the exhaust looks like it sticks out in the picture but it really doesnt its no bigger than the standard 172 exhaust to be honest. i think you can get away with wheels these days i mean most people change wheels at some point and i bet 99% of them dont say s**t to the insurance company. Im not trying to be a "Badman" and break the law or anything but its hard for me when i have to pay £180 a month to insure a car worth £1700.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Buy a car that's cheaper to insure then. Also, most people change wheels? I doubt that.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
If you can't afford it, why do it ?

Return it to standard, sell the stuff, have legal insurance, and some pocket money from the mods you've just sold.

I begrudge paying the wrong side of £700 for my bus. Sack blowing 2k on an undeclared car. Someone bumps into you at some traffic lights, and you're f**ked... the bad way.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I often see blokes with families driving people carriers with nice aftermarket wheels on,
alot of people are clueless of the fact you have to declare them,
anything happens insurance void.

If it's a choice between giving you a pay out or keeping the money, all insurers will look
for an excuse to keep the money.

Lol yes people change wheels, but I bet those people declare that to the insurer. When your cars being inspected and see you hvae non standard rims and you havn't paid the premium for it, you can be sure they'll refuse to pay out.

Jap Box
Ye i was thinking of getting a hidden exhaust, the exhaust looks like it sticks out in the picture but it really doesnt its no bigger than the standard 172 exhaust to be honest. i think you can get away with wheels these days i mean most people change wheels at some point and i bet 99% of them dont say s**t to the insurance company. Im not trying to be a "Badman" and break the law or anything but its hard for me when i have to pay £180 a month to insure a car worth £1700.

Well if you cant afford it dont do it. I saved up all my money from work to pay for a car (£1250) then smashed it up and had to buy another (£750) £1800 on insurance, along with £600 worth of repairs + mods.

Wish I didnt do it myself when I look back, my renewal is only £750 this year though which is decent enough :)

Standard renault aloys fair enough on not insuring them, but nay others I would just for ease of mind.

Reanult Clio mk2 red
So in this conversation/Thread, your saying that everyone should declare Mods on there car. Well I'm driving a Clio 1.2 Mk2 phase 2(I think), with no Mods. but if I choose to do all the mods that people have been saying I should do on my car, the insurance would sky-rocket. Its costing me £1,700 a year. I only pass last November. Hopefully my insurance will come down soon.

I wanted to change a few items on my car, but read this conversation/thread it has put me right-off doing anything to the car.

basically if you own a car in the first year/second years you shouldn't do anything to the car, HOW IS THAT FAIR ? ? ?

RS6 C7
Dont get your hopes up on your insurance i thought after been passed a year it would drop a lot but infact it went up £60 :(

Reanult Clio mk2 red
I really think I my insurance doesn't come down i might have get rid and save all the money it would be alot cheap

Jap Box
So in this conversation/Thread, your saying that everyone should declare Mods on there car. Well I'm driving a Clio 1.2 Mk2 phase 2(I think), with no Mods. but if I choose to do all the mods that people have been saying I should do on my car, the insurance would sky-rocket. Its costing me £1,700 a year. I only pass last November. Hopefully my insurance will come down soon.

I wanted to change a few items on my car, but read this conversation/thread it has put me right-off doing anything to the car.

basically if you own a car in the first year/second years you shouldn't do anything to the car, HOW IS THAT FAIR ? ? ?

Lifes not fair, grow a pair.

Dont get your hopes up on your insurance i thought after been passed a year it would drop a lot but infact it went up £60 :(

Mines gone down £1,100 ;)

i think you can get away with wheels these days.

Wrong.

I work in a bodyshop, young guy came into us after smashing the front end on his Polo, a totally standard car apart from having alloy wheels that came from a Golf. Insurance came out to inspect it, told him to go f**k himself as they knew straight away they weren't the wheels for the car. VW centre caps, genuine VW wheels on an otherwise standard car and they refused to pay out. Insurance companies are not stupid.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep

Statistics say young males will inevitably end up in ditches whilst saving for coilovers.

My first car was a 0.9litre 1986 Micra (no turinis in sight!) ... I now drive a >300HP Impreza and it costs the same to insure for a year as 6 months on my Micra. Yes all mods down to the uprated TMIC and 4-pots are declared.

Is THAT fair ? ? ?

RS6 C7
im actually selling the car as i want the new 1.6 16v 128bhp, i would leave this standard anyway ;), So i will risk it until its sold ;), Anyone know how to delete the thread?

Reanult Clio mk2 red
Statistics say young males will inevitably end up in ditches whilst saving for coilovers.

My first car was a 0.9litre 1986 Micra (no turinis in sight!) ... I now drive a >300HP Impreza and it costs the same to insure for a year as 6 months on my Micra. Yes all mods down to the uprated TMIC and 4-pots are declared.

Is THAT fair ? ? ?

How long have you been driving???

Reanult Clio mk2 red

Is THAT fair ? ? ?

How long have you been driving???

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
My point was we're all young once. A lot of young drivers end up in ditches / sides of buses .. hence insurance is expensive (statistics).

I'm not sure what 'changes' you want to make to your car, but there aren't many companies that will let youth + modification happen cheaply or infact at all.

Took me 6 years of driving old (awesome reliable Japanese) cars before I got a car with 5 gears FFS !! I never once wanted to put alloys, loud exhausts or eBay chips on my cars mind because I knew it was a waste of time / money modifying a slow car.

Just be have some patience, do things properly (legally!) and your time will come....

;)

If we told you to jump of a bridge would you???

Most people on here with 1*2 have done their stints of driving low powered/ first time cars. We had to deal with it.

Life isn't fair lol.....

Looking back I'm glad I couldn't afford to insure a faster car when I was 17 (granted at the time I was fuming)! It's those few years of having a slow/standard car that will make you appreciate a modified/faster car when you have a couple of years NCB. I know full well I would have endangered myself and friends if I'd have been let loose with anything more than a 1.1 at 17!

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
I know of someone who was with Flux, she declared her modifications and paid the extra money after declaring them...then she was hit and Flux said that she had declared them, but hadn't insured them...they tried to sneak their way out of it...some time later and court cases etc. she has managed to prove that by declaring them, and the company increasing her premium proved that the declaration had increased her insurance and she should be covered...insurers are c***s who will turn us over as they know we have to pay to essentially drive. Play it safe, as they will do ANYTHING to get out of paying...and why play into their hands and get stung with 6 points for no 'valid' insurance after losing a motor through potentially no fault of your own!

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
^
The mods are decalared, but flux will only replace OEM items. They tell you that when you declare mods.

clio 172
where iam the police have been known to ask your insurance company if you have declared your mods, and if not, bye bye car

Status
Not open for further replies.