ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance named driver problem

Ultra Red Clio 197
To cut a long story short my car broke down and my mum added me to her insurance for a week so that I could get to and from work.

My car still isnt fixed so she rang her insurance up to ask them to extend it for another week. They have refused to do this thus leaving me carless from 6pm tonight!

During the summer my mum added my sister on for a month and then extended that for another month while she was home from uni. So then last week she put me on it for a week and is trying to now extend but they said they wouldnt due to her doing it a few times before.

Does anyone know how I can get around this or what she could say to them?

A few things have been tried already to fix my car.. coils, fuel pump etc and the last one is the crank sensor which I hope will cure it but I cant be without a car. My own insurance wont give me a 3rd party extension due to me being under 25! All bad timing as im 25 in just over a month! lol..

Thanks for your help
Ross

It could be down to the person you got on the other end of the phone...

Try calling again. If this doesn't work, ask for the supervisor...

Just get temp insurance from someplace like dayinsure, pretty sure they were offering upto a months cover at a time. Admiral were offering 2 week stints as well IIRC.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
you tried upgrading your clio 182 insurance to cover you to drive any car?

Ultra Red Clio 197
It could be down to the person you got on the other end of the phone...

Try calling again. If this doesn't work, ask for the supervisor...

Going to try again.. thats if my mum agrees! shes gtting fed up of me hassling her at work!

Just get temp insurance from someplace like dayinsure, pretty sure they were offering upto a months cover at a time. Admiral were offering 2 week stints as well IIRC.

Looked into this but its not cheap - a weeks cover would be £112!! plus its illegal to insure a car twice!

you tried upgrading your clio 182 insurance to cover you to drive any car?

lol.. its only a rep! wish it was a proper 182 tho! ;)

Anyway tried this also.. I told my insurance that my car was off the road and that I was borrowing a car! For £17.85 they would cover me for another week but then the subject of the car already being insured came up and obviously it is already insured in my mums name so again thats illegal!

Why is her insurance being such t***s and turning down business! Im not ready to give her mini cooper up yet so need to get something sorted! lol.. or i'll be walking to work tomorrow.

I have till 6pm to get it sorted! thanks for the suggestions! ;)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
No need to insure the other car, just upgrade your policy to drive any other car third party.

Ultra Red Clio 197
No need to insure the other car, just upgrade your policy to drive any other car third party.

All ready said above that I tried this and have to be 25 years old to be able to do it with my insurance.. im just over a month away from being 25 which is a b**ch! so this has all been terrible timing!

Ultra Red Clio 197
What car has your mum got, if you don't mind me asking? Must be something decent for them not to touch you under 25?

D.

My mum has a Mini Cooper.. so its just your average car! its not that they wont touch me.. ive already been insured on it as a named driver on her policy for the 8 days and I simply want to extend it for another week because my car still isn't fixed. Its my own insurance companies policy not to offer 3rd party extension cover to under 25's.. Its just her insurance company are being a pain over it and have specified that they wont do it again because my mum added my sister for 2 months temp cover during the summer and now wants me on her insurance for temp cover.