ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

insurance for nearly 18 year old driver.

Clio 1.2
I didnt know what section to add this into but i think this looks like the appropriate one.

I was wondering if you could help me here with finding some insurance as its that time of year I'm gona get robbed again!

Im 17 at the moment however will be 18 when i start my new policy so i suppose i'm looking for insurance for an 18 year old who's two months off a years driving experience (not not claims bonus as I'm just a named driver at the moment)

My car is a 1.2 clio extreme 52 plate with the only modification of being lowered on 35mm springs. however i cant seem to find anyone who wants to insure me now.

I don't know what insurance im looking for but perhaps 3rd party fire and theft or just 3rd party with my mum as the named driver as she will be using the car more than i will due to uni, also the car is her's.

What suggestions do you have?

Shall i wait until i have held a full UK license for a year or is that not going to make a difference?

Or is there actually Insurance companies out there that dont mind this modification as it seems impossible to be under 21 with a very slightly modified car... (are the likes of 'chrisknott' insurance any good)

Thanks for your time reading this.

Henry

Iceberg 172
Re: (possible wrong section) insurance for nearly 18 year old driver.

There's a section called Interior, Ice, Security, Electrical & Insurance...

Iceberg 172

But if it's your mum's car and she uses it the most then you should insure it in her name with you as a named driver... Will be a lot cheaper.

there are loads of modified insurers, ive heard brentacre is one to look at. Am nearly at same stage as you, been 18 for a while and coming up to a years driving nearly. At the moment am with quinn and all mods on my car arent declared because it was so much. Lowering springs an extra 144 quid on top of 1600. ridiculous! its daylight robbery!

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
Im 18 paying £2569 a year with quinn in my own name tpf&t.That includes a few mods aswell :(

Honda civic ep2 05
Mine was £850 last year as a named driver and its went up to £1000 ish and i havent had a crash or claim or anything and thats still only as a named driver. With the same company :S

BG V6, LY 182
Try elephant / admiral they were the cheapest for me at 18. Quinn was a little more but not by much.

Oh and add named drivers! Especially females! To my supprise my 25 year old sister brought mine down almost £400 as fourth driver!

I got a sport for cheaper and im only 20 with 6 points!!!

I'll second that :eek: Got my 182 insurance cheaper!

On Admiral Im £1200, with me as main and my mum as named driver.
I'm 18 and thats with 0 no claims as well. Although the fact I'd had one years 'driving experience' pushed it down a bit.

Clio 1.2
Im 18 paying £2569 a year with quinn in my own name tpf&t.That includes a few mods aswell :(

this sounds realistic lol, im getting in excess of £3k to be in my own name with no mods. i dont understand what everyone is saying to make it so cheap!

On Admiral Im £1200, with me as main and my mum as named driver.
I'm 18 and thats with 0 no claims as well. Although the fact I'd had one years 'driving experience' pushed it down a bit.

This is interesting, defiantly admiral seems to be popping up a lot recently. i will have 10 months driving experience under my belt but i wonder if that would effect it. ill give a ring around tomorrow and see what i can find. thanks for the helps guys,

if anyone has any tips on what things to say to make insurance low within reason please share..

i live in a low crime rate area, cars parked on a drive over night, i dont drive all that much, back and forward to work or what ever but i still seem to get raped lol!

i will have 10 months driving experience under my belt but i wonder if that would effect it.

The difference between having 1 years 'driving experience' and 11 months 'driving experience' was about £200.

I was named with my mum on insurance with Quinn before, so obvioulsy didn't generate a years no claims, but the fact I'd had 'driving experience' affected it.

Also price drops dramatically if you add someone as a named driver who has a lot of driving experience, i.e. your mum lol.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
hahaha im 18 with quinn 1.2 51 plate £2400,
its literally rape
and theres nothing you we can do about it

You can shop around properly, its only 2 years ago since i was 18 and my insurance was never as much as people seem to be paying now, both on here and amongst friends.

On a 1.2 with 1 years experience and no bonus I was paying just over £1k with mods declared.

You can shop around properly, its only 2 years ago since i was 18 and my insurance was never as much as people seem to be paying now, both on here and amongst friends.

On a 1.2 with 1 years experience and no bonus I was paying just over £1k with mods declared.

Its not as easy as you make it out to be..

this sounds realistic lol, im getting in excess of £3k to be in my own name with no mods. i dont understand what everyone is saying to make it so cheap!

This is interesting, defiantly admiral seems to be popping up a lot recently. i will have 10 months driving experience under my belt but i wonder if that would effect it. ill give a ring around tomorrow and see what i can find. thanks for the helps guys,

if anyone has any tips on what things to say to make insurance low within reason please share..

i live in a low crime rate area, cars parked on a drive over night, i dont drive all that much, back and forward to work or what ever but i still seem to get raped lol!

There was definitely around £200 difference between me having 11 months driving experience, and having a year. When I rung up admiral I had around a few weeks to go untill I had a full year, but when I rung up and I said asked about the price difference, he spoke to his supervisor, and then agreed to give me the price I was quoted for having one years driving experience, when actually I only had 11 :)

R34 GT-R & 172 Cup
I was shocked the other day to find insurance is cheaper for me on a turbo than on a shed of a 172 by 900 quid

I'm 18, one years 'driving experience' , no no claims, renewed in April this year and am paying £1200 on a 1.2, so Im not sure why people are getting such high premiums.