ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Immobiliser, key fob and central locking - HELP PLEASE

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
5 years back I couldnt start the car - AA guy tried all sorts and in the end it started. Took to Renault - after a day they phoned me up asked about a spare key I used that and it was good until Sunday.

Sunday key fob would not activate central locking so opened the door but this did not activate the central locking? Car started OK. Today wouldnt start (light flashing) so I pressed the reset button and it went OK. Tonight did same nothing - light flashes away happily and the car is dead. (walked home.......)

So - is it the key fob battery - votage check is 3.4V?

Should the key in door activate the immobiliser or the central locking?

My passenger winder winder has been removed and the window propped up - could the incomplete system affect the immobiliser.

and finally anyone in Bristol know how to remove the immobiliser?

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
SOLUTION UPDATE - Immobiliser, key fob and central locking - HELP PLEASE

Turn key in door - door opens but no central locking clicks or noises. No other doors affected. Put key in ignition, immobiliser light flashing fast. Engine turns over but engine does not start.

Key in ignition turn and press fob nothing (no resetting of system). One idea from forum.

Activate the resetting with the internal locking mechanism, ie switch to lock wait, hold until you hear lock opens - activate key fob (expect that the twoclicks open and close car but o this occasion nothing happened) then car lock automatically opens.

Here's the rub after the above I put in key, turn, immobiliser light goes out and heh car starts.

Repeat - works again. There is no battery disconnect just using the internal locking switch to reset by olding it closd until the reset kicks in - so?

HELP! whats going on.

Explanations please?

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
UPDATE : Used the old key this morning nothing (this is a key that Renault said would not work I was trying to reconnect it to the car) Next I used my spare key which was working last week - put the OK key in and it works OK - this makes me think that there is some kind of trigger on the ignition that detects the key and turns off the immobilisher.

So problem seems to be that my key and immobiliser are OK but the sensor or something in the system wont fire the central locking - any ideas if thats right?

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Sounds like a dodgey decoder ring to me, as its not telling the ecu that the key is in the barrel even tho it turns over fine.

Have you got anyone with a clio sport that you could borrow a decoder ring?

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
Sounds like a dodgey decoder ring to me, as its not telling the ecu that the key is in the barrel even tho it turns over fine.

Have you got anyone with a clio sport that you could borrow a decoder ring?

Since I reset the system using the interior locking switch the good key works fine - I assume the decoder ring senses the key in the ignition. That works OK.

Probem now is that when you point the key at the car the central locking does not work but the light on the key fob comes on and the key I think must be OK as the decoder ring senses it in the ignition.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Just geta 2nd hand one danno, they are not programmed to the key atall its just picks up a signal to the Ecu,

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
Have you tried to change the battery in the key to see if that does anything?

yes new battery and voltage is over 3V tried it and it made no difference - car goes OK now but I did not mention that after about a mnute as your moving along the car doors lock, switching the lock to open doesnt stop the motor and also the car doesnt then relock.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
yes new battery and voltage is over 3V tried it and it made no difference - car goes OK now but I did not mention that after about a mnute as your moving along the car doors lock, switching the lock to open doesnt stop the motor and also the car doesnt then relock.

Theres a thing on clio its like a safety device, as soon as you go over say 5mph the doors lock automaticly, after its locked and you press open on the dash it wont re-lock, you have to either press that again or stop and set off again.

I think the issue with the car not locking could still be down to the decoder ring, as that isnt picking up the signal from the key,

Have you got a spare decoder ring you could borrow to try?

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
my guess is a key is on its way out i would have said its unlikey to be decoder ring. but hey what do i know

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
Last week I was in France gong through scanners with the keys in my pocket - has anyone lost a key due to airport security (took a lot of flights to get around the country)

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
I wouldnt think a scanner like that would break the signal in the key, because the key is programmed to work for your car via VIN, hence why you cant just buy it off the shelf as they have to be made in France..

172 Phase 1 & 172 Ph
Right just to add my experience of a similar problem i had with mine and i've skimmed through the posts quickly as in a rush, so apologise if this has already been covered!

So when turning the key is the engine turning over but not firing?

I broke down in the middle Dusseldorf (was in germany to do the 'ring)in my Ph1 172, basically same scenario parked car up and when i got back it refused to start. Called the RAC out and after the guy spent ages messing around with the key, alarming it, un-alarming etc all of a sudden it fired, guy could not talk any english but just pointed at the immobiliser sticker.....so this lead me to beleive it was the alarm....

However the problem conitnued to persist when i got back, come to start it would turnover but not fire leave it 20 mins it would start....it was really starting to irritate me at this point and then it happened again so i called the RAC again and he told me it was the TDC sensor beginning to fail. He took it out cleaned it all up and no problems ever since.....so perhaps not the alarm at fault afterall?

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
thanks - old key in ignition car turns over immobiliher light flashes, spare key light goes solid then out car turns over and starts, as I move off car locks (not happened before). So my good key talks to the decoder although at the start of this post it didnt and I had to re-arm the key system by using the interior locking switch - ie lock car hold button system opens lock and you have 10 secs to get the key and decoder to talk - however now I have to use the key in the lock as the central locking does not work with the key when outside the car (new batteries in fob etc)

TDC sensor is fne - AA guy cleaned mine also (another Renault fault in a line since I brought the car in Belguim back in 2001)

But when its running and your hugging curbs just dont it bring a smile to your face!

Very impressed with the looks and reviews of the 200 obviously a glutton for punishment.

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
Raid new to me too - RAID (Renault Anti-Intruder Device) stops you getting a visitor at the lights and dont know how I turned it on but you turn it off by holding the lock button to unlock for 5 seconds.

Anyways latest news is pretty weird - acidently left the car open all last night. Came out to a snow covered car - dont know why but pressed the key fob and the car locked - worked tonight too and had a few tries and it works OK. Kinda makes me think that theres something in the car rather than key fob?

Any ideas?

Williams 2 & 200
Just bumping this thread as i had a similar problem this morning:
Car started fine drove 500m to the petrol station and it wouldn't start again so i got some jump leads which didn't help so left it there for 2 hours. Car still wouldn't start due to immobiliser so fiddled with the connectors under the stearing column and that seemed to do the job.

I think the cold weather is causing condensation on the connectors once the car warms up thus why it started first time then not again. Just a theory though :S

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
all im going suggest is get is diagnosed

recomend anyone? Usually use City Motor but the car is now hardly worh the cost of a service - I think City Motors now charge a £50 have a look fee for all old cars. At the moment my nearside window mechanism has failed and the door trip is dumped in the back. Other option is to get the AA to plug a tester in but do I need a Renauly computer?

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
gets a window reg off the net i just got one for a clio £67 brand new. S J cooks have a deal on for renault sport owners at the mo mension my name (Paul) the AA cant see as many things as we can on our computer

Pug 205 gti
dude, sort of same boat as you. the button wont do anythin, battery is fine. mines immobilised so im gonna have to sort a new decoder ring out then tow it to renault for the new key. good 300 quid there

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
Car is still OK, opens on the key fob, starts first time (including -6C), RAID trips in drives fine. Weird? Something must have reset.

Many thanks for advice guys.

On the window front all the bits seem OK - no wire ends missing pawls OK but not connected to bar - so a bit of araldite (or West System Epoxy), a jig, some time and some luck and .....