ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ie7

cock mobile.
Anyone using it?

Just downloaded it. First impressions are pretty good, tabbed browsing at last (I know you could get add ons for IE6 but that's not the point).

I'm like the anti-alias fonts. The smooth scrolling is also very nice.

Don't like the plain toolbar but sure that can be changed around.

Still needs add ons like FireFox does, not sure if MS will do any though :S

Not a Clio
Chris3125 said:
care to explain, all i see is validate, cancel or back buttons, nothing bout managing addons?? :s
Managing addons is in the tools menu in IE. There's an addon called Genuine something or other. You used to be able to disable it and that would solve the problem but I'm pretty sure MS got wise to that one rather quickly

Just installed it, complete copy almost of Firefox, im kinda in two minds on which to use now. ive used IE for ages and recently moved to firefox, ive been liking this as you can add things too it like email stuff and that.

Hmmmm

Audi RS4
just installed it too,I like it although the typeface is taking a bit of gettin used to,had to adjust all my monitor settings!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
IE = Viri/Security Exploits

DId I ever mention what a great idea it is to tie a web broswer into the core OS ?

SLK 350
KDF, please don't start talking about exploits as a Firefox user. As soon as FF became popular there was a multitude of exploits and security issues. Every program has loop holes, just they're not exposed until a program becomes popular enough to deem it a good target. The same would happen for Linux if it became mainstream too.

Red Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus RS
ozzyo99 said:
KDF, please don't start talking about exploits as a Firefox user. As soon as FF became popular there was a multitude of exploits and security issues. Every program has loop holes, just they're not exposed until a program becomes popular enough to deem it a good target. The same would happen for Linux if it became mainstream too.

Yes, but Mozilla actually fix the problems in a timely fashion, unlike MS.

Look at the advisories on http://secunia.com/

Anyhow, security is no concern to me as I won't be using it. I do have to write for it though and IE7s standards support is unsuprisingly dissapointing.

cock mobile.
ozzyo99 said:

I do agree.

The only reason that IE has so many exploits is that it is still the highest used browser.

I've already stopped using IE 7 though, back to FireFox :approve:

SLK 350
Have to be honest - the words MS and Beta does ring alarm bells, so think i'll be waiting for the guinea pigs to make sure its safe to use :)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
ozzyo99 said:

Your ignorance serves you well.

Yes FF does and will continue to show exploits, this is an eventuality in all software. (although no where near the mamoth scale of IE)The difference is in the time to fix released. Generally with MS you should get a fix within 6 months, sometimes if its not a major flaw just a small one they dont even bother. My point was that IE is so heavily tied into the OS that any flaw in the browser affects everything on your system.. have a flaw with firefox and it only affects firefox. If you bothered to read my post or if you actually knew what you were talking about you wouldnt have posted what you did.

MS state that 90% of flaws found have a patch within 24 hours, what they dont say is they wont acknowledge a flaw until they already have a patch sitting waiting to be released eg. 6 months after the flaw was discovered.

Please dont talk to me about how if linux was as popular as windows it would have as many flaws, its just simply not true. The inherent design of the Linux OS prevents such wide system takeovers as seen on windows boxes, viri would only be able to affect user files not system files etc etc... The last time I checked there were 12 viri for linux the last time one was in the wild was 6 or 7 years ago.. Last time I check windows they were up to the hundreds of thousands of viri .. go figure..

You are probably forgetting that linux owns the server market, so while they may not be mainstream desktop yet, the certainly are mainstream server..

Monaro VXR
Firefox has some security holes not as bad as IE though mainly cause the program is open source meaning anyone with a bit of knowledge can patch it.

Same can be said with linux. And linux is a hell of a lot more mainstream than you may think. Next time you turn on your sky or cable etc your using a linux. Next time you play your playstation its linux.

The server you connect to for your isp is also linux.

IE's source code has been leaked out but they dot make much of an effort to patch things up.

Firefox on the otherhand has nightly builds if you wanna be at the bleeding edge you can get a new version everyday.

SLK 350
Some interesting reading for you KDF:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=103

I don't discredit the fact that FF issues are patched more readily, but people still become somewhat embroiled on the FF fanboy bandwagon. But I believe this article presents an argument for your first point regarding the scale of exploits exposed.

Also there was a somewhat critical exploir released last year which allowed a user to hijack your computer via running remote based Javascripts from a html page which targetted the favicons and sidebar aspects of the browser.

Please KDF don't insult me with useless comments questioning my knowledge, the scope of my argument in my initial post was regarding someone (yourself) questioning the security of an MS product, this is somewhat hypocritical given FF's track record. Since its become popular its seen more exploits and hacks than IE has seen in probably 2 years. And undoubtedly theres many more to come.

As for Linux, well i shall point you here:

http://www.computing.co.uk/vnunet/news/2122458/linux-hacks-hit

I'm not looking for petty arguments about software, and im not looking to be insulted - if you can't discuss something witohut using a derogatory manner, then i suggest you don't debate matters with people. I rest my case.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
ozzyo99 said:
Some interesting reading for you KDF:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=103

I don't discredit the fact that FF issues are patched more readily, but people still become somewhat embroiled on the FF fanboy bandwagon. But I believe this article presents an argument for your first point regarding the scale of exploits exposed.

What it doesnt list is severity of the exploit, as with most IE exploits it leads to total system takeover, can the same be said for firefox ? no because it is run at user level permission and any exploit cannot escalate with out somehow exploiting another vulnarability.

Also there was a somewhat critical exploir released last year which allowed a user to hijack your computer via running remote based Javascripts from a html page which targetted the favicons and sidebar aspects of the browser.

Which was quickly fixed and again brings up my previous point that the expliot could not have escalated to affect system files in any way without first using an additional exploit.

Please KDF don't insult me with useless comments questioning my knowledge, the scope of my argument in my initial post was regarding someone (yourself) questioning the security of an MS product, this is somewhat hypocritical given FF's track record. Since its become popular its seen more exploits and hacks than IE has seen in probably 2 years. And undoubtedly theres many more to come.

Count IE exploits (and their severity) vs Firefox's exploits, add into that the response time to fix released, add into that the fact that I can make changes to it myself if I so wish, add in to that the security of running firefox in a Jail and I think I will stick with what I have got thanks.. my point about IE being inherently flawed by design remains, and nothing will change that until they remove it from the core OS. Windows by design is inherently flawed for simmilar reasons.

As for Linux, well i shall point you here:

http://www.computing.co.uk/vnunet/news/2122458/linux-hacks-hit

Oops, looks like your source used deeply flawed methods and forgot to add the important bits in... http://www.serverpipeline.com/52500233

I'm not looking for petty arguments about software, and im not looking to be insulted - if you can't discuss something witohut using a derogatory manner, then i suggest you don't debate matters with people. I rest my case.

Im afriad I just destroyed your case.... next ...

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
haha... he started it..
gayfight2.gif