ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Icemans Britcar Endurance project 182

BMW Z4
That's because it's for a 774 lump from a mk2 rs megane, the sump is different as the bell housing pattern is different.

The sealing procedure is the same though, the top picture is a 730/732/736/738 lump as the 774 doesn't run an aux driven water pump. It's just the tightening sequence that's different.

Ok Now im confused? So to clear that up. I shoud use the torque values and sequence from the above yes? Im using a different sequence and 8 and then 15nm for tourque on all bolts.

BMW Z4
This is what I have been using although as I say MY sump has the pattern from your picture and 22 bolts in it which is why I was always confused as this picture is from the F4R.730 PDF I have with only 21 bolts!

Sump.jpg

BMW Z4
Typical for Renault that sequence is bollox as it misses out 6 LOL I am assuming the sequence is as follows

18Nm

then 15Nm for the following

8 (Ehh Ive just done this one to 18)
15 (and this one too)

where is 6??

Cup In bits
I wouldnt worry too much Mark about the torque sequence, just start in the centre and alternate tightening the bolts from side to side untill theres none left and you'll be fine.

I would worry more about getting some sealant on points 'A' & 'B' in above picture and a smear of sealant on the flanged parts of bolts at g/box end.

Its such a small torque, it's not as important as torquing up the likes of a cylinder head etc.

BMW Z4
I wouldnt worry too much Mark about the torque sequence, just start in the centre and alternate tightening the bolts from side to side untill theres none left and you'll be fine.

I would worry more about getting some sealant on points 'A' & 'B' in above picture and a smear of sealant on the flanged parts of bolts at g/box end.

Its such a small torque, it's not as important as torquing up the likes of a cylinder head etc.

Will do buddy. Just spoken to Ash and we are assuming that for the 182 Renault fitted a meganne sump with 22 bolts and not a 172 sump with 21?

Cup In bits
You could be right, I'm not that familiar with the differences between F4R's but most torque sequences start in in the centre and work out so you'll be fine.

My 172 has 22 bolts :)

Like Swede says I wouldn't worry too much. I have in the past left the extra bolt until last and I've also fitted it into the sequence in what I thought was the correct place - there is quite an obvious pattern if you look at the sequence.

Both worked fine. I did apply sealant in the specified places though and I have reused the gasket as well.

My engine is filthy so I couldn't tell you if it leaks or not. But there are no drips on my garage floor and I don't have an under tray.

Edit: I only do them up to 12Nm as the bolts seem very soft and look a nightmare to get out if you have issues with he head rounding.

BMW Z4
Well it's now refitted :)

Used the new sequence with new bolts in the difficult to get to ones if they round off and also the higher tourque setting (18Nm) on some of the bolts and then 15nm on all the others. Sealed up the end caps as specified with sealer and also put sealer on the bolts too. Just letting it settle in for s couple of hours now :coffee: and all go off before filling with oil and running it up.

Dare I start it though :quiet:

172 cup, Impreza P1
Am I missing something. 6 is between 2 and 10?

Hope it all works out.

Typical for Renault that sequence is bollox as it misses out 6 LOL I am assuming the sequence is as follows

18Nm

then 15Nm for the following

8 (Ehh Ive just done this one to 18)
15 (and this one too)

where is 6??

BMW Z4
Still leaking through the same bolt hole ROFL. What a load of s**t. Ordered a brand new sump from Renault as it must be a crack I cant see. It took 30 mins before it leaked this time though.

I will persevere, I have the force and it is strong.. :hail:

Golf GTD Mk7
Weird one Mark. You'd think you would be able to see one. It must be something if it happens when the oil pressure builds.

BMW Z4
Weird one Mark. You'd think you would be able to see one. It must be something if it happens when the oil pressure builds.

Weird, you got that right buddy!

I am at a total loss on this one! It MUST be the sump either very slightly deformed (possible) or cracked also possible. Thinking about it my money is actually on deformed and hence not quite seating right. Either way I was trying to avoid a new sump but have given up and ordered one, let's see. If it still leaks then I will try a different end cap as it's that hole its leaking from. Sump arrives tommorow so let's see.

Racing next week, car in bits again, no pressure then to fix this.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Weird, you got that right buddy!

I am at a total loss on this one! It MUST be the sump either very slightly deformed (possible) or cracked also possible. Thinking about it my money is actually on deformed and hence not quite seating right. Either way I was trying to avoid a new sump but have given up and ordered one, let's see. If it still leaks then I will try a different end cap as it's that hole its leaking from. Sump arrives tommorow so let's see.

Racing next week, car in bits again, no pressures then to fix this.

End cap as in main bearing end cap??? :quiet:

Golf GTD Mk7
If it was deformed, wouldn't the 22 bolts bend it back? I know they aren't exactly torqued much, but the sump isn't exactly sold either.

BMW Z4
If it was deformed, wouldn't the 22 bolts bend it back? I know they aren't exactly torqued much, but the sump isn't exactly sold either.

What I have noticed and this is especially so at the end cap end (last crank cap flywheel end) is that the gasket runs right at the innner edge of the cap when in place, the smallest deviation sends it over the edge and because the design of the gasket sees the bit that goes round the bolt is lower than the rest of the gasket and therefore does not act as part of the seal the oil leaks down the bolt hole.

Yet another gem design from Renault to be honest. No earthly reason not to surround the bolt with gasket but hey ho the French are f**king morons eh. Like giving you daft M7 bolts with star heads for everything when a nice M8 cap head would be much better for the job!!!

Golf GTD Mk7
Yeah the sump bolts are rubbish and made of butter. Plus there are two which are a pain to do/undo unless you've got the right tool. They use the same bolts for the water pump too iirc :(

Golf GTD Mk7
Which two are those? All mine are the same!

Might be three come to think of it. Flywheel end where you're pointing on your pic. The socket needs to go through a hole to get to the nut.I didn't have a narrow e-torx socket so had to hammer on a long narrow socket instead :)

BMW Z4
FIXED :cheers:

New sump seems to have cracked it. Fitted a new gasket dry with just the sealer on the 4 points as specified, ran it for an hour so well up to temps and et voila no leaky bolt hole!!!

PS
I have a long thin e torx set and use a reducer on my toruque wrench to a quarter inch extender

BMW Z4
Hi Guys

Here are some extra pictures of my Saxo power steering pump behind the bulkhead. As you can see the high pressure pipe on the rack is off the renault pipe bolted onto a different pipe. The low pressure pipe is just an ordinary pipe. Couple of shots of my nice new leak fixing sump too :)

SNV82728.jpg

SNV82729.jpg

SNV82730.jpg

SNV82731.jpg

SNV82732.jpg

SNV82733.jpg

SNV82737.jpg

SNV82738.jpg

Ive fitted some nice pop it vents in the rear side windows to let the heat out, put a scoop on the drivers window to let the air in and also fitted an undertray. Finally fitted my brake cooling ducts too.

Mark

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Yay :clap:

FIXED :cheers:

New sump seems to have cracked it. Fitted a new gasket dry with just the sealer on the 4 points as specified, ran it for an hour so well up to temps and et voila no leaky bolt hole!!!

PS
I have a long thin e torx set and use a reducer on my toruque wrench to a quarter inch extender

TrackCar & F30 330d
You and me both!!!!!

Next race is next week buddy at Snetterton on Saturday, I am testing all day Friday.

Oh well can you pay for my flight back to England please so i can come watch! I've missed every bl**dy race this year because of been abroad!! :( lol

Cup In bits
Apart from the lack of rusting effects I fail to see the benefit. Boiling point is practically the same as standard coolant. What am I missing?

190 degree c at 0 psi boiling point, that's a fair bit more than a 70/30 mix coolants boiling point at around 140 deg c maximum and then that mixture is a little to strong to be ideal with the increased viscosity which makes it harder for the radiator to cool at that mixture.

Golf GTD Mk7
190 degree c at 0 psi boiling point, that's a fair bit more than a 70/30 mix coolants boiling point at around 140 deg c maximum and then that mixture is a little to strong to be ideal with the increased viscosity which makes it harder for the radiator to cool at that mixture.

Thought id missed something :)

BMW Z4
Im using halfords pink stuff in mine, the ready mixed stuff ready to go stuff. I will set my dash warning to 110 then. It was up at 106 at Cadwell on the small polo rad so should be cooler now on this larger Golf rad. Runs at around 96 when standing still in my garage.