ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Icemans Britcar Endurance project 182

BMW Z4
Dont worry im not gonna start stripping it this close to my first race, just thinking out loud. I will do the oil pump and gaskets etc though and possibly the diff as I have a test day on friday 23rd at Brands and race on the Saturday. Diff is 1500 quid inc VAT to do at gearboxman as they replace bearings etc and machine it to fit too so you get a recon box pretty much.

BMW Z4
Heres a thought. On the Saturday morning at Brands it was hellishly slippy, made my heart skip a couple of times. Would I be better off having a set of great wet type tyres from list 1A that I could put on instead of the Direzzas in case it's raining or damp? (will have to check regs to see if you can change wheels in pit stop as we do a 2 min stop)

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Heres a thought. On the Saturday morning at Brands it was hellishly slippy, made my heart skip a couple of times. Would I be better off having a set of great wet type tyres from list 1A that I could put on instead of the Direzzas in case it's raining or damp? (will have to check regs to see if you can change wheels in pit stop as we do a 2 min stop)

They will be worse in my opinion and experience. They are tyres... they cant work miracles. A slippery track is a slippery track. Once you get some heat in them a track orientated tyre like a Direzza will work better in the rain and slippery track than a road tyre.

For me in damp and wet... the 888 is the best track biased tyre. Dunlop 02 and 03 and Yoko a048 better in dry for ultimate grip IMHO

Road based tyre will only be the better option once they is MASSIVE MASSIVE amounts of standing water.

Unless they are PROPER wet slicks. They are incredible even in massive amounts of puddles!

172 Race Car
R888's as Porkie says, surprisingly good in cold/damp conditions. Direzzas very hard to get heat in at this time of year from our experiance

BMW Z4
Ok I'm having fun :)

The car went to TDI for its official power test and whoa Neddy has come back with 181.1 at the hubs on their hub dyno. Suffice it to say this is slightly more than NMS 168 and has sent me out the top of B class and into a now non existent A class :(

I am not the only one to have suffered this and there is much discussion on the TDT drivers forum about it. It means I have to ballast the car which is being done now. My cartech cutoff decided to pack in too so have had to get a new one of those last minute also. NMS have moved my cameras now and also fitted wide angle lenses so it should look better for my next video on race day next weekend. Got a test day all day Friday next week at brands.

Mark

Renaultsport 220T
There are a few recommended rolling roads for TDT, could you not get a second opinion?

For 2012 there are only two centres that are approved as they both have the Rototest VPA hub system. Ultimately this is a good thing, because it makes it more of a level playing field.

One job I forgot is to add the ballast posts, I think I need 4 according to blue book. Tony? Jay?
Just noticed this Mark, I was having a flick through the bluebook the other day and I'm sure it said in these cars that the ballast post has to be located where the passenger seat would be and it stipulated the size of the fixings etc so if you still haven't found out then it would be worth a quick read :) Off the top of my head it was pg150ish of the 2011 BB.

Shame that you have to put weight into the car but it's not too much!

Best of luck for the race next weekend and can't wait to see how it goes for you :)

TrackCar & F30 330d
Hi Mark, shame you've now been bumped up a class. But adding 25kg isnt too bad I'm sure NMS will be able to set the car up just as well with the weight!

You must be soooooo excited about the race next week! Good luck I hope it's all goes well!

P.s is Johns race car ready too?

BMW Z4
I actually feel quite sick about the race this week to be honest. I am very nervous when I think about it and don't mind saying so. On a good note I just looked at my best lap time from my track day which was 57.35 and then looked at 2010 march TDT results from BH and best quali time was 57.289 so I guess im not to far off then :) I know I can go faster too. Still feel sick mind you LOL, God knows how F1 drivers feel.

So ballast. The ballast specified in blue book is success ballast. Normal car weighting ballast can go anywhere :) Over the back wheels for me then. Checked this out with the race scrut. Got a Autotel radio fitted now and we also moved the whole video unit so its vertically mounted and easier for me to start. Will post pics soon. The car is at the wrappers tomorrow and I am at brands on Friday testing.

All oil leaks have been fixed and we also fitted a new oil pump and ARP rod bolts too.

Mark

Jons car is not ready as he has just sold his soul to the devil and bought a house :(

BMW Z4
Some pics of the Track day at Brand Hatch

clearways.jpg

Clio_Brands.jpg

Clio_Druids.jpg

Clio_Druids2.jpg

Mark

BMW Z4
What are silvervisions? I didnt realise Jay that although my dash was not working or the overlay the GPS was recording my laps along with the video. I was having a play trying to learn the analysis software and loaded up my run and then overlaid it with the track map. I then added the sectors and all the times popped up :) Ill post up the data later so you can see my sectors but im very happy if you say 57 is good as that means im not slow :)

182 track, Mk7 ST
Looking good Mark, shame about the ballast issues but needs must and all that ;)

The pictures from Brands look good, I've got to upload mine still but my internet at home's playing up and I have got a few of yours that I'm pretty pleased with :)

BMW Z4
Good day yesterday. Best time was 57.15 with 35kg of ballast and half a tank of gas so I'm pleased with that. The Ebay BTCC Beemer was doing 54's I think.

Tony you didn't tell me nerves would be this bad!!

Glad to hear it went well Mark :) That sounds like a great time to me! I couldn't believe the other day that the the clio cup boys were doing 52.055's it's incredible to think how they can make up so much time just on slicks! Best of luck today I really hope it goes well for you and I can't wait to see how you get on.

I hope the nerves aren't too bad for you!

182cup & 172 racecar
Good day yesterday. Best time was 57.15 with 35kg of ballast and half a tank of gas so I'm pleased with that. The Ebay BTCC Beemer was doing 54's I think.

Tony you didn't tell me nerves would be this bad!!
Nothing like actually being there is there.;)

Good luck

BMW Z4
So here we go the short version

1. Qualified in P3 :) Can you believe that! I was soo pleased

2. At race start I only realized I had NOT practiced race starts when the 5 seconds board cam out and I sought of went inside ooo s**t now what do I do. Suffice it to say I decided to stay on the line waving at my ten friends on pit wall whilst spinning my wheels for effect and losing about 10 places.

3. Got going and all seemed well until clearways where I either lost the backend or got punted and ended up just in the gravel on the edge.

4. The marshals would not push me back on and called for a safety car and tractor which took no less than 8 laps to organize

5. Got going again very disappointed but determined to enjoy myself

6. Darren (he runs an Audi with my team) and I Got called to the stewards office and both given 2 points on our license for overtaking under yellow at hailwoods!!!!!

WHAT A DAY

Yes I was disappointed after such a good quali but i quickly realized that ALL these things will happen to you in motorsport and if I am to enjoy it I have to learn to cope with them in the right way or ill just be unhappy and stressed which I don't want from this hobby.

Bubble and Kick are awesome and worth ten times what I pay them to be honest. The hospitality was awesome and it's nice not having to do anything but drive the car.

So what have I learnt

1. Practice starts, a lot

2. Don't start a race on tyres that have done two track days one test day and one 30 min quali session

3. Enjoy my day no matter what happens

I am HOOKED

Now to the questions Tony and Jay and anyone else with race experience?

1. My back inside wheels lift a LOT I am told in cornering, is that a bad thing?

2. I lock my wheels occasionaly up hailwoods hill, should I refit my ABS do you think?

3. Occasionally under heavy braking I get a bang/clonk frown the back, is that the cup bias thing clonking do you think as all is tight under there?

I think the car has the measure of the field apart from the the Pug and the civic. They were very quick in both quali and race too, the pug left me on the straight like I was standing still.

PS
I shall appeal my points now I have seen the video footage.