ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Iceberg 172 Cup

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos
Thanks Steve, it is rewarding doing it yourself, and helps me at least understand a bit more about how these cars are put together. Lots of colourful language mind :rage: and obviously your own time, but I got to clean dusty bits of the dash and air vents which would've been hard to clean otherwise (wahey) :mask: plus it sounds great.

Glad its all looking stock and sounding much better, I don't really think you can go wrong with Alpine gear to be honest, much preferred to the Halfrauds Chinese budget vomit :down: And yes, you're definitely doing the right thing by not taking it there!!

Yes I definatly understand that about the cleaning, perfect chance to get to the hard to reach places!! Sounds crazy I guess but little touches like all add up to getting the interior perfect........ looking forward to getting mine done, the local car audio place here is superb and I've been using them for over 10 years now so it's one of the rare places I trust with my car

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos
Hope all goes well for the install Steve, let us know how you get on, I'm sure you'll be pleased with it once you have the car back. And places you trust with your car are few and far between, so good to know and keep using places like that :up:

Will do matey, have a look at my thread in the projects section, will update there asap :up:

Btw, just a quick thought, I see you have the foot rest same as mine has, did you fit that or is it standard? I thought mine was just an aftermarket cover as it was bolted over the top of the plastic underneath... seen these a few times now

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos
Will do matey, have a look at my thread in the projects section, will update there asap :up:

Btw, just a quick thought, I see you have the foot rest same as mine has, did you fit that or is it standard? I thought mine was just an aftermarket cover as it was bolted over the top of the plastic underneath... seen these a few times now

Yes, I'll follow your thread buddy to see how it goes :)

Re. the footrest, no, its an aftermarket piece, it was the closest part I could find to match the OEM pedals. I think from memory if just fits over the top of the plastic OEM cover. Remove the existing hex screw, place the new alloy cover over the old plastic one, replace the old hex screw with new one supplied with ally foot rest, and that was it I think!

It's a good fit and looks like a good match, plus its easily removable if you need to go back to OEM :)

Ahh cool that answers a question haha yes mine sounds like its exactly the same as was just over the top of the oem plastic one, held in place by a hex screw.... I've taken it off for now but will clean it up and probably re-fit to match :up:

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos
Quick update, I really felt that the Turini's on the car let it down, so I was contemplating getting them refurbed, but I saw a mint set of Turini's come up in the classified's last week from @Dr Jekyll - Top bloke BTW :)

They're finished in a metallic anthracite colour and look almost new with no kerbing or damage, wrapped in Pirelli P-Zero rubber all around.

We agreed to meet yesterday and did the deal - I got the new Turini's on yesterday afternoon, so just a quick pic, which doesn't do the wheels justice at all, but I'll get some more once the car has been properly cleaned and gone through the MOT this week. I'm gonna paint my brake calipers too as they look awful through the new wheels now. New OMP discs for the front received, and just debating what pads to buy now. Also I've removed the Heko wind deflectors as I didn't really think they suited the car.

The rear end is too high on the Eibach's too, so thinking of sorting that out soon. I'll stick my old Turini's in the classifieds today once I've finished cleaning them up.

E6AC40FD-84E4-4DD8-96C5-82B21FCEF33E.jpg

Last edited:
  Clio 172 Cup, Eunos
Thanks Mark, yeah, the Heko's didn't suit it at all, it was a bit of an impulse buy, they're sold now anyway.

The plate looks better too, but that just reminded me - I need to take it off for the MOT on Wednesday. Really need to paint the calipers too as they look awful under the new wheels.

Not sure what colour would suit though, maybe silver or black - I think red or yellow may be too garish.

I think I'm gonna remove the fog tint and get some new bulbs ordered this week.

I also managed to bag a bargain on eBay last week, some PIAA motorsport horns - £7.85 delivered :)

A few other pre MOT jobs done today which included sorting the intermittent airbag / serv light issue - which turned out to be a loose wire in the door rubber connector.

Hopefully it will pass with no issues, I'm gonna stick a bottle of Red-X in it tomorrow I think.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Do you not know a friendly mot guy?

Silver will look nice behind the darker wheels I'd say, especially on a silver car. If it was a different colour then perhaps a more lairy colour would suit it but silver always looks fresh.

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos
Come to think of it, I've used this MOT place for a while and he's pretty friendly. I'll take the old plate with me in the boot just in case!

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos
Looks spot on with those wheels, as said silver for the calipers i'd say :up:

Notice a good difference with the horns?

Thanks Steve, yes, I've bought some silver caliper paint, along with some new Brembo front pads and OMP front discs. I replaced the rear discs, bearings and pads a couple of months ago with Brembo items, so they're holding up pretty well so far, just the calipers to paint on the rears. The wheels have lifted the car more than I expected looks wise, so the new discs and painted calipers should finish the wheel area off nicely.

I've got some Goodridge braided hoses on the way too, and I already have some ATE Super Racing Blue fluid, so I'm hoping to fully rejuvenate the braking system over the weekend :)

The horns sound great! They're pretty loud compared to the stock items, and kind of have an Italian tone to them, like maybe something you'd expect from a 60's or 70's era Ferrari - highly recommended!

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos
I forgot to mention, MOT time yesterday. It failed first time around :( Only on a front NS track rod end though. I had both the NS and OS replaced, then it sailed through with no other advisories, so all good until August 2017 now :)

I've also managed to pick up an unsilenced supersport center section for the K-Tec stealth system currently installed, I'm curious as to how this will transform the sound of the car, so will hopefully get that fitted next week when it arrives.

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos
A slightly better pic of the car with the new wheels after a quick wash today. Its hard to get the wheels in the right light without adjusting the image too much with them being so dark, it doesn't catch the flawless finish enough!

2fd23d91-f686-4edf-a885-857c6f850104.jpg

5efbdc2c-3715-4bf5-8c85-95c5fe413714.jpg

8a6ab592-845c-43c0-bd2e-695c69034aad.jpg

E18EA258-7D6C-4AC8-AFE0-5C83933B08DE.jpg

c46492ad-c067-4fe1-bd62-6b3be5132716.jpg

I really do need to get that back end down though, its way too high. May try some H&R's, Cooksports or similar in the not too distant future.
The new Goodridge hoses won't be here until next week, so I may paint the non contact parts of the new OMP discs tomorrow in prep for the brake overhaul.

I'd also been thinking about the timing belt and if it was overdue for a change, as I could'nt remeber when it was due. But after checking through the history that came with the car, it was only done 16K ago in 2014, so may look at that in another 12-18 months or so, if no problems arise in the meantime.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Filler cap and fogs need to be oem, and personally think silver turinis look better , and yeah needs lowered. Apart from that, I like it. :up:

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos
@imprezaworks yeah in need of Cooksports or Gaz coilies I'm thinking :smile:
The Eibach's and OEM Renault Cup shocks are great handling wise, but, it needs to drop down at the rear I think, it would change the look and hopefully the handling of the car. the rear end can sometimes be a bit light through the corners at speed :/ Much lift off oversteer, especially in the WET! Got to be careful haha!

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos
Plus a decent Geo set up I suppose we're talking about £650 all in if I fitted them myself then. Hmmm...need to do a little bit more business then :)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
And then you have the bc coilovers too which are supposed to be very good, about £100 more I think. I'm happy with the way nine drives and looks on the h&r springs though.

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos
What is that blue car running? BC are made in Taiwan aren't they, same factory as the Meister R stuff? But do both have top mount adjustable damping?

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Have you fitted the unsilenced centre section yet?

I'm thinking about removing my centre silencer and I'm curious as to see how the sound/loudness will change, albiet mine is a Piper exhaust not Ktec.

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos
Yes, i fitted it, i managed to break the manifold to cat spring clamps in the process though, so had to order a new kit from Renault. Real PITA job that!
Then I realised that the rear box exhaust mount was failing badly as the back box was hanging down way too much, so replaced that with a red Powerflex exhaust mount.

In terms of sound, yes it is noisier. I don't daily this car any more, but i think it would do be difficult to cope with up and down the motorway.

But, it does sound nice, a deeper tone, and maybe a few pops on overrun. I don't mind it at all as its more focused towards the car, function over form and all that. If I were to daily it though, I'd put the silenced section back on. With the RamAir induction kit, this car breathes and exhales rather LOUDLY! But its not obscene, just purposeful.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I've replaced the gasket and springs etc on mine but it's still blowing at that joint as my exhaust is sagging in between the cat and silencer. It's been sleeved but just wondering to remove the silencer and take a bit of the weight out of it. Mine does sound pretty good but wouldn't mind it a touch louder but from researching it seems it makes it more raspy.

I use the motorway quite frequently so I'm on the fence at the moment on whether to get it done or not, hmmmm.

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos
To be fair, it would do my head in if I were using it for work and what not. I do really like it though purely for enjoyment, and I think using it daily would take something away from that enjoyment.

I'll try and post up a vid later if I can.

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos
Ok, so a small update. I broke something :/

I took the Clio to a local rolling road day:

E22F5753-9D55-4F91-B96F-6125AC64A42B.jpg

7092B73D-3ADD-4BC6-AFFA-19EAABF4461F.jpg

The Cup made fair power for a pretty much standard 13 year old car, other than breathing mods:
CD4B3194-61C4-46CB-B5FE-21F958C748C6.jpg

But over the last few days, I noticed a clunking noise from the passenger wheel area. I had a look around and found a this was the culprit

Not my video, someone else's on here, but this is what my passenger side knock noise is, probably knackered CV joint. Goddam rolling road has probably exposed this weakness in the car.

So, need to source a passenger side drive shaft, of a complete pair and along with some fresh gearbox oil A.S.A.P. The genuine Cup refurb shafts from Wolverhampton Renault are £121 delivered each...although I'm currently looking to see if any uprated aftermarket shafts exist for the Cup.

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos
Ok, so new drive shaft installed, along with 3.1 litres of Elf gearbox oil from Renault (£42 WTF!).

But, I've been looking at another car, so this may be up for sale shortly. I'm a bit gutted really as this is by far the best Clio I've owned to date. But, if it goes for the right money, I'll let it go. i'll post up an ad in the classified later today :(

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Ok, so new drive shaft installed, along with 3.1 litres of Elf gearbox oil from Renault (£42 WTF!).

But, I've been looking at another car, so this may be up for sale shortly. I'm a bit gutted really as this is by far the best Clio I've owned to date. But, if it goes for the right money, I'll let it go. i'll post up an ad in the classified later today :(
Whats the right money???