ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I want another Clio. Am I mad?

Swift Sport
I've tried and tried to fall in love with the Civic, but I can't. It just doesn't feel special, and it's not enough fun. I thought that after 4 Clios surely I'd be bored by now, but after numerous new car threads the only conclusion I can come to is to get another Clio.

My only main concern is reliability as I've only ever had nearly new ones, and I don't really want a 200.

Would I be silly swapping a well looked after 2004 Type-R, for a late 182??

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'm the same Steve. I've been through M3, 3 imprezas, Evo, MR2... I always come back to a clio.

I just think they're the best all round package. (unless i suddenly become minted and get a caterham)

Swift Sport
For anyone who doesn't know... I've owned a mint mk1, an Iceberg 172, a RB182 Cup and a 197. I've loved all four and they've all been 100% reliable (but were all quite new).

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I wouldn't mind swapping my mint 182 for a CTR. Never had one of those...

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Whats your Civic worth Steve? I've no idea as I know nothing about them.

My 182 is in the for sale section.

Slow red one
FCS - mine next to yours I believe.
IMG_7488.jpg

Swift Sport
Whats your Civic worth Steve? I've no idea as I know nothing about them.

My 182 is in the for sale section.

Good late models are fetching around the £6k mark, I've no idea about the private market as I've never looked. I'll take a look at yours dude.

n/a
Im in the same position i have had two 172's and now a Ep3 CTR and i cant help but want a 172 again. only had my ep3 a month but it dont feel as good as the clio.

Swift Sport
Im in the same position i have had two 172's and now a Ep3 CTR and i cant help but want a 172 again. only had my ep3 a month but it dont feel as good as the clio.

The Civic is much better as a car, but it's too good at its own game. What it prides itself in build quality and reliability it lacks in any way of character or involving drive. They're crap on fuel too.

n/a
The Civic is much better as a car, but it's too good at its own game. What it prides itself in build quality and reliability it lacks in any way of character or involving drive. They're crap on fuel too.

I bought it for reliability and to be on par with a 1*2 speed wise (thats enough for me) and sometimes it feels as though as its just a normal car if you get what i mean? the clio just felt like a proper raw car and i miss that. i get 230 miles out of £55. no belt worries but im honestly thinking of selling but dont know if i can get rid as i only had it a month and the pevious owner only had it a month to (woman bought it off boyfriend but got a company car just after buying).

aftermarket parts are way overpriced imo

Swift Sport
I don't mean to sound rude but that's hillarious. Mine has done about 18-20k a year for two years and it's blinding.

No issues? That's good going... Just goes to show what a well looked after car can cope with.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
No issues at all, it's never broken down, ever.

I've changed the clutch, had the belts done on time, done basic servicing at the correct intervals and changed the engine mounts, that's about it.

There are some cheap ones, but even the good ones aren't a lot of money, and a well looked after one will just be problem free.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
As long as it's been looked after you'll be fine. My 172 is now on 136k and runs great TBH.

Its not shy to be fair :cool:

Pity the civics not worked out Ste. Can you not play around with damping/ARBs to liven it up a little before you throw the towel in with it?

Swift Sport
Why old over new though? I don't mind owning a ph1 or a 172 but surely if I can get my hands on a nice 182 I'd be better off? Are they really more fun, bearing in mind that I'd be fitting coilovers on whatever I had? The 172 and 182s I had felt very similar.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Its not shy to be fair :cool:
?

Looking forward to some more track tussles with your bus next spring-summer Paul.

Why old over new though? I don't mind owning a ph1 or a 172 but surely if I can get my hands on a nice 182 I'd be better off? Are they really more fun, bearing in mind that I'd be fitting coilovers on whatever I had? The 172 and 182s I had felt very similar.

What's your budget?

Swift Sport
Budget is pretty flexible, it just depends what I decide to go for. I could treat myself to a 200 but I'm pretty sure I don't need to spend that kind of money.

172 Cup
IMO renault sports are great cars to own in this day and age if your a car enthusiast, especially 1*2's because of the price they can be picked up for now. Great fun little cars to drive, relativly cheap to insure/tax, parts are cheap, they are good on petrol and they dont look out dated when they are clean and well looked after. Do it! lol

R34 GT-R & 172 Cup
I loved the red 197 ste was a brilliant car, i want to get a clio again but i think the step down in power would put me off :(