ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How would you describe Clio II build quality?

I took our 2004 Clio into the dealers today to flag up the melted steering wheel. They told me it was fair wear and tear and that it was caused by someone "gripping the wheel too firmly". :rolleyes:

They seem to accept build quality problems on the older Clios these days but I noticed that Renault are really trading on product quality with the newer Laguna, Clio and Megane.

What do you think of the quality of the Clio II in general?

Basically the steering wheel is made of some sub-standard material, they all get knackered, but they will just put it down to wear & tear.

My yr 2000 Ph1 is holding up quite well, the steering wheel is fubar'd but apart from that its ok, rattles like fook though and its not even lowered. I miss the german interior of my lupo.

Anyone tried to cure the rattles? I found getting a load of dense foam and shoving it in the right places kills most of them.

Also works with dealers.

Trophy #490
Mine has been brilliant, cannot fault a thing build quality wise. Ok, the plastics are scratchy and cheap in my Trophy but it's a cheap car at the end of the day so it's to be expected.

No problems with steering wheel wear either, must be a good 'en!

J03

MX5 1.8
clio falls last from all the cars in its league. eg corsa, fiesta etc.. i love the fords interior! looks soo snazzy, (not talkin about the new new one)

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
i dont think there too bad to be honest, we've gone through 2 x 1.2's a 182 and now a vee and not one has had any problems bar the steering wheels on the vee and 182

200 cup & 106 GTi
Modern cars aren't anywhere near as overengineered as they used to be, especially the germans(bmw, VAG group etc)
But some like ford are better than they used to be.

BG 182 FF
i have had problems with mine but it aint just clio's can happen to anyone in anycar i suppose.

Lol from having a Saxo my Cup is solid. I think the build quality is quite good. But i have only had the Saxo i cant really say. I think there mint tbh.

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
"Meh"

Nowadays even BWM and Mercedes are s**te. BMW don't even paint underneath your bonnet and the engine bay. Visible primer FTL on your £36K car.

Mind you, the new 197s aren't any better. I've had 2 in the workshop with rust developming round the taillamps. The quality of the "carbon fibre" plastic sideskirt extensions and the spoiler is SHOCKING. I have about 20 picture of me filling holes in the paint of the Cup spoiler and repainting the stock yellowish bumpers on a white Cup too. Insane. Wouldn't touch a new one.

Audi right now is the only car I've driven both old and new that I can't fault in the slightest.

2008 Clio 1.4 Dynamique
Well, let me just say as someone on his 6th Renault and 4th Clio, Ive never had any issue with the build quality of any of my Renaults. Electronics however....... :mad:

Though I must admit to a worrying looking rust spot developing on the passenger side just below the window :dapprove:

Renault clio 1.4 16v
the build quality is good for the valve, compared to ford and other makes where the quality is shocking and reliability ,apart from th steering wheel but every car has its down side

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
When discussing clio mk2's, the words BUILD and QUALITY are rarely in the same sentence.