ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How reliable is your Clio

I think its just a case of noone ever says anything if all is well, but complains like hell if it goes wrong.

Ive got a 9 year old car with only 20k on the clock, and have had no problems

Mk2 V6, MK1 Track Sl#g

Ive got a nine year old car and it was ok for the first year but now things are starting to go wrong. 2 ball joints, 2 wheels bearings, gear box on its way out (again), and its leaking oil. all good fun though

Mk2 V6, MK1 Track Sl#g

Quote: Originally posted by jpmad4it2 on 13 May 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Scribbler on 12 May 2004

You must drive like a girl get hold of the f**king steering wheel and tell the car where you want it to go. Its essentially a point and squirt car. I know exactly what you mean about following the depressions in the road but at the end of the day its a track car for perfectly flat sticky tarmac. England just isnt the best environment but you sound like you need to grow some muscle in your forearms. Ok the car suffers from torque steer and the suspention is so hard it doesnt absorb the uneven surface but what did you expect when you purchased it buy a VW golf for god sake! Did you just like the blue colour or the OZ wheels, its not a runabout its a hardcore hot hatch with impecable handling. I think people need to get agrip, often the people who can aford to buy these cars arnt often the best people to be driving them. You probably dont want my opinion but i think you have the best handling hot hatch available for the money and you just dont have the minerals to drive it!

haha. instead of me growing muscles, i think u need to grow some brains or even grow up a little instead of trying to insult people. i understand what the car is and what it was made for.

best handling hot hatch...........no u see thats why i aint happy because it just doenst handle. Do u think id be moaning if i had the best handling hot hacth..........dur no i dont think i would. Its funny how my friends who have these crappy standard fiat puntos can go into corners a lot quicker than me. Now does that sound right to you...........no. i think u would expect a 172 cup being able to go into a corner a lot quicker than a standard Punto. If i go into a corner hard all i hear is the f**king rattle rattle rattle coming from the front suspension......the car drifts and bounces all over the place its a bag of sh*t..............YEA mate brilliant handling :) a car that bounces and drifts in corners.....SUBERP HANDLING!..........do u want to come and f**king drive it and then you might see what im talking about?

Ill come and drive it, if your stupid enough to let me have ago that is. Ask silver, jon1978, rich_m, 172mgw or ukravo how my driving is and then youll understand

clio 172
my 172s waterpump failed at 59000mile
and in the garage tomorrow as the powersteering pump is on its last legs (61000miles)
whines like my wife!! lol

all my problems have come a once!!

also my car makes a whining noise during aceleration in 1st and second plus going around roundabouts hoping it relates to the powersteering pump!!

if not probably more money!!!!!!!

still love the little git though!!!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Only parts i've not replaced are the drive shafts pretty much.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
My 172 was ok. I had it for 4 years / 80K and drove it hard most of the time

• The coil pack, ignition leads and, plugs went at 60K

• I had two “starter packs” (for get the name but the box behind the headlights) replaced and two Xenon bulbs one go at 30K the other at 60K.

• My OE exhaust was rotten by 40k so I had a full SS one put in as it was CHEAPER then a OE crappy one.

Although in the 80k/4years I had to replace the front discs and pads each year / 20k. This seemed abit excessive when I had done over 60K in my W-reg Astra before its discs needed replacing. I didn’t find the OE parts were any better then aftermarket.

When I px-ed it the CV joints needed looking as (sounded like two skeletons’ having sex) and the A/C compressor had busted.

What pissed me off about the above were the Xenon headlights. Basically I spend £500 just to see in the dark!

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
4 year old thread...nice.

75,000 miles...zero problems. Drive it like it's stolen most days too.

Fiesta ST2
1.2 16V Dynamique Clio 2003 17,000 mile when bought 23,000 when sold.. (within about 3 months the following happened)

Accelerometer went

Engine wiring loom needed replaceing due to the ECU rubbing crap

Exhaust had a hole

Coils replaced

white stuff forming on top of engine oil cap.

Clio v6
Wow! Blast from the past indeed.

Car has been up and down. Major mods done, major mods undone, major mods planned. I would say the air freshener has been the most reliable part of the car over the past four years. (I fitted it)

:)

95% reliable for mine. Fuel line split (cost me more in petrol replacement than parts) and a crank sensor went, but apart from that it's doing really well.

85k now, was converted to ITB's on 36k, run on them to 82-83k and compression is almost as new and it's been tracked several times and driven pretty hard. It's well looked after though which makes the biggest difference, it's serviced every 3-4k by GDI and gets a lot of money thrown at it.

Dodgy one
Needed a pair of shocks and a new driveshaft in the week i got it plus brakes because of the split CV, Now needs a new top mount and bearing after a pothole also needs a steering wheel as the rubber has cracked.

Needs the splitter and 4 new tyres as they are shite, the geometry sorting out as its seeming to wander

Not overly impressed so far, would go back to a GTi6 or Rallye anyday
never had a problem like ive had with the clio and theyre a lot easier to work on

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Only owned my Ph1 172 for 3 months, after owning a Honda for a year and a half you dont realise how diffrent the cars are put together until you own both...

It had 46k on it when i first got it, it had FSH and evey MOT and taxdisc since the warranty ran out.

I also had to get the timing belt and tensioners done as this hadnt been done, apart from that ive replaced both driver and passenger side window regulators (they went within 2 weeks of each other).

I have noticed that they rattle like f**k when driving so i opened up the door and put gaffer tape just about everywhere, seems to have cured it, the sound deadning device (honey comb shaped back thing) seems to be the culprate, i secured that back to the metal on the door seems to have sorted it.

Nearside rear bearing went also.

I have to remind myself that i own a 7 year old car, its not going to be perfect, would i own another? Aye probaly, its a cheap car to run if you know where to look.

53 Clio's & counting
um well in 116k mines needed (apart from routine stuff)

an alternator at around 65k
rear shocks at 90k
idle control valve
tie rods and track rod ends
exhaust from cat back
front shocks (not completely nessary but were original so after 115k i replaced)
springs (one snapped rear and one snapped front)
engine mounts
n/s driveshaft (cv joint collasped)

thats about it, not bad as its on 116k now and still on its original clutch ( and gearbox lol ;) )

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
um well in 116k mines needed (apart from routine stuff)

an alternator at around 65k
rear shocks at 90k
idle control valve
tie rods and track rod ends
exhaust from cat back
front shocks (not completely nessary but were original so after 115k i replaced)
springs (one snapped rear and one snapped front)
engine mounts
n/s driveshaft (cv joint collasped)

thats about it, not bad as its on 116k now and still on its original clutch ( and gearbox lol ;) )

It also makes me kinda happy your on your orignal clutch my car only has 47k on it so i hope i dont have to replace this nor the exhaust lol

Clio 182 - Cup Suspension
Keep it clean and shiny, let everything warm up properly, hit the limiter at least once on every journey and you'll be rewarded with many happy years of three-wheeled cornering antics.

Although mine only does about 5k a year...:race:

Focus RS mk1
Re: Archived Post from old forum

Quote: Originally posted by CRS172 on 11 May 2004

What do you find terrible and dangerous about it?
the fact that is pulls you violently into any crack, bump or hole on the road. If im driving through a narrow bit of road with cars parked on either side of the road, and a car is coming towards me, it will pull suddenly towards the on coming traffic just because ive ahd to drive over the line painting in the middle of the road, or if there is a small depression / fault in the road it loves to get in them and bounce around as much as it can. I just dont know which way the car is going to go! It feels dangerous as its so unpredicatble. I dread over taking people as sometimes the car can pull in towards the car im oer-taking! Renault just said its following the camber of the road on the dirve test. On open smooth roads its not too bad....it pulls to the left a little and vibrates a bit. On a rough main road its awful. I just hate driving it!

what size wheels do you have on it?

LY V6 with Recaros
Never had a single problem with the 182 in 2.5 years of ownership. Hopefully the vee will be the same!

Yaris Hybrid
Had mine (182) three years and it sailed through the first MOT with no problems.

Only issue was the knocking engine mount that I fixed with some old inner tube and an emissions light that used to come on and off if I did really short journeys but it never broke down or affected the performance.

Clio Dynamic S 2.0VVT
No probs on my car that is now 13 months old or my wife's that is 18 months old. Two great cars so far:)

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
03 plate cup and nothing but exhaust and engine mounts have let me down. all sorted now any of the other things were just wear and tear.