ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How do you properly reset the ECU?

Chase Racing Clio
Disconnecting the battery clearly doesn't do this. Anyone care to tell me the full procedure for doing a hard reset of the ECU?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
has to be done in clip. Other Diagnostic tools can clear down fault codes but not long term fuel and ignition trim values

Chase Racing Clio
What do you mean by in clip...? Is this manufacturer's own diagnostic equipment?

Chase Racing Clio
Well, both my road car and the race car keep deciding they don't want to start. If we swap the ECU's over it seems to trick it into starting, but then once we turn it off again, there's no guarantee it will start again.

On my road car, I've got the original set in and nothing has changed, nothing has been cut out but it won't work reliably. I can turn the ignition on and off 30 times and it will continue to give me a flashing red light and then it'll decide it's going to give me a solid red light. Then, out of the blue, it might turn off and I can start the car. I've checked relays and fuses (got plenty of spares) but cannot trace anything!

On the race car, the symptoms are a little different. We have cut a fair amount of wiring out (ABS module, Airbag stuff etc), but once it's running, there's nothing wrong with it. We can turn the ignition on and off a few times and it will start again fine, but sometimes it will default back to being a solid red light and not let us start. I'd like to wipe the immobiliser off both ECU sets, but I don't feel confident that it will solve it for both cars. And it'll be rather costly. I'd like to find the frenchman behind the wiring of these cars and beat him into a pulp!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
racecar will be down to having a cut off switch fitted. Immobilisers don't like that. Mick did something to Pete (Toastfrenzy)s wiring of the cut off and seems to have solved the immobiliser issue.

Immobiliser data can only be cleared down by virginising the ECU and re-installing the map as far as I know. and will re-sync as soon as you plug back in. Not something I get involved with if i can avoid it. Don't think it's the right way to approach the issue

The road car sounds more like the key, a relay, or something related might be at fault

Chase Racing Clio
Any advise on the best way to diagnose the road car problems then? Which relays are the crucial ones?