ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how do people lower their cars 50-60mm when my driveshafts are rubbing with just 35mm

172 ph1
standard distance from wheel center to wheel arch was 350mm, was lowered to 315mm on KW V2... had a lot of buzzing while on track under hard cornering, turned out the driveshafts were rubbing against the body, made driveshaft shaped dents in the body :dead:

It's been raised to 320mm now, which is 30mm lower than standard, won't find out until the next trip if that's enough...

Are the bumpstops in the KW V2 not located correctly or something? :S

172 ph1
Re: how do people lower their cars 50-60mm when my driveshafts are rubbing with just

just measured... current distance from ground to top of arch is actually around 600mm all round... if that helps

seems to be about the same as the Trophy's standard ride height according to yozza's page :eek:

182 (Conversion)
Re: how do people lower their cars 50-60mm when my driveshafts are rubbing with just

600mm on every corner? Surly that's not correct. A proper corner weighed (setup) car will never be the same at every corner.

172 ph1

600mm on every corner? Surly that's not correct. A proper corner weighed (setup) car will never be the same at every corner.
roughly 600mm

Black RS200

Sounds about right, just measured mine and its 580mm on 3 and the n/s/r is 575mm

Italian 3.2 V6

What's standard (not trophy, reguler 172) .. 620mm or something!? Will check mine this aff when I get home.

172 ph1

What's standard (not trophy, reguler 172) .. 620mm or something!? Will check mine this aff when I get home.
Unfortunately I didn't measure them myself before I got the V2 fitted :(

Italian 3.2 V6

ohwell the,

measured mine today, all came to roughly 570mm-580mm ...lol..

my car is fine bar an odd knocking noise, but thats getting looked at tmrw and i have been told its to do with top mounts..

iv never heard of driveshafts being a problem.. seems odd to me mate..

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR

Doubt its a driveshaft, I went this low and only rubbing was tyres slightly...

CIMG1030.gif

CIMG1028.gif

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.

Huh? Where can they rub? Pics?

ITB'd MK1

ph1 is lower to the ground than a ph2 for a start (smaller wheels) so referencing a trophy is pointless. Also the front wings are different....

Can't see why driveshafts would be a problem, there's been some EXTREME lowering without them being an issue

182 (Conversion)

If rubbing they'll probably cause major problems very soon. Bad angle.

172 ph1

I'll take some pictures when I get the wheels balanced today :)

172 ph1

2 shots showing the problem, it is possible that it happened when the car was about 10mm lower than it is now, at 45mm of lowering
IMG_9235.jpg

IMG_9236.jpg

2 shots of the car to show its current height:

IMG_9244.jpg

IMG_9245.jpg

also, outside edge of what was one of the front tires, now switched to the back:
IMG_9238.jpg

inside edge:

IMG_9239.jpg

should I switch the tires between left and right already?

Last edited:
  Italian 3.2 V6

jeez that is odd, never ever heard/read of that happening!? lol?

Dodgy one

Stiffer springs and get your tracking looked at ;)

172 ph1

Stiffer springs and get your tracking looked at ;)
Stiffer springs to replace the springs of the KW V2? First I'd have to find springs of the right length, then I'd have to find stiffer springs for the rear to keep the same balance

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT

this is just too odd! never heard of that problem also!

172 ph1

The front's been raised another 10~15mm, and yet I'm still having the same issue under extreme cornering.

I must admit that I am going rather quickly nowadays, have kept up with the Ring Taxi on the 2 latest trips, both times from Carrousel to the end of the lap. First time it caught up with me after some yellow flags, the 2nd time I was going slowly behind a friend, but decided to give chase after the Taxi went past, managed to keep up till the end of the laps on both occasions.

I'm sure the Clio would get murdered on the open sections in the first half of the lap though.

People have suggested the engine mounts as possible culprits, but they've been replaced less than 2 months ago, had them checked today at Renault, and they say that the mounts all seem ok

Last edited:
  Golf GTD Mk7

sounds a bit stupid, but has one of the lower mounts, or gearbox mounts gone? Is a bit strange, but that's renaults for you I guess

172 ph1

sounds a bit stupid, but has one of the lower mounts, or gearbox mounts gone? Is a bit strange, but that's renaults for you I guess
I've had the engine mount, dogbone, and geabox mount (under the battery) changed, with standard Renault items. I think there's a 4th somewhere but that seems to be a minor one and not listed on sites such as K-tec

The suspension bushings are Powerflex items, fitted half a year ago

Golf GTD Mk7

something's definately not right. wishbones sitting too high?

SQ5

This is very weird! It almost seems as if the wishbone is coming up to high. Where is it hitting as it looks like its hitting the wishbone from that angle and where the marks are?

172 ph1

I'm confused as to the wishbones comment :eek:

The driveshafts were hitting the car frame, notice the dark line around the driveshafts and the dents in the car body right above the dark lines.

The photos were taken from the front of the arches when the wheels were removed, with the car lifted up on a bridge, so the suspension was at full extension.

SQ5

Sorry, I didn't see the dents up the top! It seems as if your engine is sitting to high, causing the wishbones to then be higher. Only thing I can think of!

Golf GTD Mk7

I'm confused as to the wishbones comment :eek:

The driveshafts were hitting the car frame, notice the dark line around the driveshafts and the dents in the car body right above the dark lines.

The photos were taken from the front of the arches when the wheels were removed, with the car lifted up on a bridge, so the suspension was at full extension.

Lol, oh, wasn't looking at the pics properly obviously. :D Dampers haven't gone have they?

RS RIP

i will be checking this thread regularly as it is a strange problem unseen before :S

Rideheight looks fine to me, i'm absolutely baffled !

***edit***

removed my gearbox-mount comments ; cannot be the problem !

Your springs/shocks are no good i think !

Last edited:
  RS RIP

... + get in touch with the KW dealer who sold you these ; something is'nt right with your suspension. Only worthwhile option left to check is your suspension

172 ph1

Lol, oh, wasn't looking at the pics properly obviously. :D Dampers haven't gone have they?
the KW V2 is half a year old

handling is fine, so I don't think the dampers are gone

172 ph1

... + get in touch with the KW dealer who sold you these ; something is'nt right with your suspension. Only worthwhile option left to check is your suspension
I'll try

Golf GTD Mk7

It must be something suspension related surely. If everything else is fixed in as it should, there can't be anything else :S