ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How accurate is the computer on 1*2's ?

How accurate is the computer fitted as standard to 1*2's

Reason i ask is i filled up yesterday to the brim with fuel and reset it and got the following.

IMG_0559.jpg

If only i would get that sort of miles to a tank, so needless to say i reset it again and got this.

I've a feeling its talking balls and its built by the french so i aint gonna trust it at all.

IMG_0563.jpg

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Depends, if youve got a full to the brim tank, and you drove down the road for 2 mile really steady.

You could get to 45mpg and probs calculates that.

Sam!

Works out your fuel consumption using your MPG, going downhill with the clutch in was it?

Driving out Asda petrol station ;)

And the pump clicked off a few times though.

The gauge went of the last line on the scale too.

Took 47 litres. :lolup:

Fabia vrs tdi
take it u know to turn the key while holding in the trip computer to tell u how many litres u have? And u can do it anytime to tell u how many litres you have used? My trip said I got 40mpg but was actually 36mpg it tells lies lol

take it u know to turn the key while holding in the trip computer to tell u how many litres u have? And u can do it anytime to tell u how many litres you have used? My trip said I got 40mpg but was actually 36mpg it tells lies lol

I did that and it read 51 :eek:

Lionel Richie
if you knew the in depth electronical milarky behind it you'd know infact its actually bloody accurate

if you knew the in depth electronical milarky behind it you'd know infact its actually bloody accurate

And what in depth milarky is this ?

Where does the computer take its readings from for MPG, Fuel Range, Av Speed etc ?

Ecu somewhere or sensors ?

Lionel Richie
i'm no electronics expert, you'll have to ask Icarus for that, but its actually very clever how it does it IMO

And what in depth milarky is this ?

Where does the computer take its readings from for MPG, Fuel Range, Av Speed etc ?

Ecu somewhere or sensors ?

It knows how much fuel is being used, there is an output pin on the ECU for 'flow data' which drives the dashboard computer giving it information on how much fuel is being used (Well thats how its wired on my 172 Ph1 clocks from the ECU anyway). This is then calculated against the distance travelled (Speedo sensor) to work out the various figures...

- MPG is just fuel usage against distance traveled
- Fuel Range is just MPG against fuel level
- Average speed is just an average of a set of snapshots taken from the speedo sensor over a period of time

The litres in tank figure seems to work off the fuel gauge reading the clocks get from the pump - as I only have two wires from the pump (level and reserve warning light/low fuel) connected, and the number of litres in the tank still works...

BMW F21 125d
The computer on my 172 was a bear faced lying heap of junk, however the one on my 182 is within 0.1/0.2 of a mpg when I fill up and also the gallons used is very accurate too, so I can safely drive it until 10.2 Gallons or so without worrying about the ----.

I got 51.4 mpg on my trip to Dublin a few months back!

Fecking hell !!!

Who needs a derv when you have a light right foot.

What is down to your car ?

It knows how much fuel is being used, there is an output pin on the ECU for 'flow data' which drives the dashboard computer giving it information on how much fuel is being used (Well thats how its wired on my 172 Ph1 clocks from the ECU anyway). This is then calculated against the distance travelled (Speedo sensor) to work out the various figures...

- MPG is just fuel usage against distance traveled
- Fuel Range is just MPG against fuel level
- Average speed is just an average of a set of snapshots taken from the speedo sensor over a period of time

The litres in tank figure seems to work off the fuel gauge reading the clocks get from the pump - as I only have two wires from the pump (level and reserve warning light/low fuel) connected, and the number of litres in the tank still works...

Cheers for that Foxy, so i guess the computer is damn accurate.

So when i turn the key while holding in the trip computer button to tell me how many litres of fuel i have left (as its beeping at same time).

The next push of the button shows me figures with a decimal point in it that increase as the engine speed is increased.

Am i correct in saying that this is how many litres of fuel i am using per min/hour ???
I'm sure i read it on here somewhere but cannot remember 100%.

Then the next push of the button shows me four small horizontal lines which display a fault code (a letter instead of the line) if there is something wrong somewhere.

The range will be slightly out to begin with as you have reset your trip computer and haven't acctually went anywhere so there will be no reading for MPG, average speed etc.

Once you've travelled a few miles it will build up its database of figures again and give you a more acurate reading depending on your driving style

Renault Clio 182 Silver
Then the next push of the button shows me four small horizontal lines which display a fault code (a letter instead of the line) if there is something wrong somewhere.
My Clio shows a "T" in the first space. Anyone knows what this means?

Black Ph2 172

I did not know this! So I hold trip computer button before turning engine on and keep held down???

Going to & from Bedford yesterday evening through the roadworks a around 50-55mph I was tipping just over 43.2mpg.

At one point I was viewing the estimated range screen and seeing it creep up every so slightly about a mile every 20 seconds!

My friends brother had a new shape Civic Type R on the drive that had been freshley washed. Needless to say we went for a 'dance' down the lanes and I soon saw 20mpg!

He'd spent all day washing it for a 15 minute spirited drive to leave the front end completely covered in flies!:rasp:

Last edited:

DMS

A thirsty 172
The way to look at it is that the computer is fairly accurate, but is only accurate at the point in time you actually look at it. The figures change quite a lot as your driving style and conditions change. This is because it takes average readings. Say you do 200 miles and use 5 gallons of fuel, it'll automatically assume you'll do another 200 miles on the remaining 5 gallons, but you might end up booting it from that point on and using more fuel - thus getting less than 200 miles to your 5 gallons. The figures will change as your driving changes to reflect this, hence it's usually fairly accurate at the time you look at it but doesn't necessarily mean you're actually going to achive that figure.

If you do 200 miles on 5 gallons, then your driving style changes and you only end up getting 300 miles to that 10 gallon tank of fuel in total, your average on the trip computer would have fallen from 40mpg to 30mpg.

Note that I'm not actually sure how big the tank is, so the figures are just guesstimates.

I think that makes sense?