ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP! What is this warning light?

Iceberg 172
This warning light came on this morning. I've had a look in clio drivers handbook and it say's it is the "Toxic fume monitoring warning light". What does that mean? Is it something to do with the exhaust?
Thanks for any help
Lisa x

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 432
Maybe a problem with the cat, lamdas, coils, leads, spark plugs etc.

Could be a few things. Get it to Renault and have it code read.

Iceberg 172
Thanks xzibit. Is it still ok to drive my car until i can get it to renault coz i can't get there til tomorrow?

As long as the engine isn't misfiring (like mine was when it came on) then I'd imagine so. But if it was me I'd only drive it if necessary, and be gentle with it just incase.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
If the cars running fine, I wouldn't worry about it. You're out of warranty, they'll charge you for the privelege of looking at the car. Mine was on for 18 months, without any issues.

Iceberg 172
Car is running fine,just like normal. I'll take it easy when i do drive it tho. Cheers guys,thanks for your help :)

As long as the engine isn't misfiring (like mine was when it came on) then I'd imagine so. But if it was me I'd only drive it if necessary, and be gentle with it just incase.

i have the same problem with my cleo sport.

mine is misfiring, the light is flickering on and off , the idle is bad,rev it and it goes ok ish. theres also a rich fuel smell under the bonnet.(no leaks)
some one said the light could be could be the coil pack ,some sensor or the management system.but dont know which one to try first?

so anyway i found someone to test the codes for £25 quid

but i was just wondering what xzibit's problem ended up being after saying his was miss firing too with the light on also?

oh and i forgot to say that sometimes the accellerator feels limited. like half power..but then it will slowly build up and seems not too bad.
but when the speed drops.it starts lacking power and misfiring again.

not gonna use it till someone checks it out.

I had water in and around the coils and spark plugs. The dealership who I had bought it off 2 days earlier had pressure washed the engine bay, f**king idiots.

So if yours is missfiring, I'd deffo check the coil packs, leads and spark plugs for water. WD40 may help. If that doesn't cure it, then may need replacing.

Renault Clio 172 Ph1
Hi, I also have this light coming on but my car drives fine. I have a ph1 172 and have just fitted a 4-2-1 manifold and sport cat last week and the next day the light came on, so like xzibit says it could be the cat or lambas which I think in my case it is. Hope this helps.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
oh and i forgot to say that sometimes the accellerator feels limited. like half power..but then it will slowly build up and seems not too bad.
but when the speed drops.it starts lacking power and misfiring again.

not gonna use it till someone checks it out.
Coil pack

blimy u people are quick. i only went for my tea lol

nice one for the info.
i will get back when i find out what it is.

yeah coil pack sounds cool to me. i will get someone to check it tomorrow.

thanks again.

oh .....would the coil pack or faulty leads make the light come on?

i was a mechanic years back. but i got into a different trade. its a bloody nightmare these days working on anything lol

Clio 172
I've got the same fault right now - started yesterday just as I booted it past a mini cooper ;-) the light started flashing. When i eased off the light went out. It did the same thing last night. Then this morning as I was overtaking someone it came on and stayed on. Car is running fine other than the light - no miss-fire, lack of power or anything just a light - does that help point me in the direction of one suspect ahead of the many other potentials listed above?

Iceberg 172
I've got the same fault right now - started yesterday just as I booted it past a mini cooper ;-) the light started flashing. When i eased off the light went out. It did the same thing last night. Then this morning as I was overtaking someone it came on and stayed on. Car is running fine other than the light - no miss-fire, lack of power or anything just a light - does that help point me in the direction of one suspect ahead of the many other potentials listed above?

I'd just booted my car too but no light came on until the next time i drove it which was about 10-15 mins later. My car is running fine tho,no mis-fire,lack of power or anything,just the light. I'm going to try and get to Renault today and have it code read (hopefully they can do it today). I'll let you all know what the problem is when i find out so hopefully the info can help all you other guys experiencing the same problem

clio 1.2 - 51 plate
i had this problem with my previous 172 cup, somebody on cs told me it would be fine but once the mot came round, it ended up costing me a bomb, lamda sensor failed which in turn killed the cat, cost me roughly 600 quid to get it back on the road....

RB 200 Cup!
coil pack gets my vote

ming you if its drives fien without misfiring could be lambda as said above.

Either way just take it in as soon as really

Iceberg 172
Hi, i took my car to renault this afternoon to have it code read. The problem came up as a 'down stream oxygen sensor' (whatever that is??), anyway they cleaned the sensor and cleared the fault,took my car for a test drive and everything is ok now. They said it could of been caused by a stone or something on the road hitting this sensor which then registered a fault (so i'm presuming the sensor is something to do with the exhaust??) but if the light does come on again then i will need to have a new sensor fitted. So fingers crossed the problem is sorted now.

Thank you to everyone who offered me there help/advice,its really appreciated. Hope all the others who are experiencing problems with this warning light have a good un-expensive outcome like me,thanks again guys :)

back again

right i ended up getting someone to plug a laptop in.
it came up with a miss fire on cylinder 3. now in my mind . i woundnt think the coil pack would just make no 3 cylinder miss fire.so gonna whip the plug out and have a look.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Is this the light that comes on from a de cat? As mines come on to :(

Iceberg 172
Hi guys, the light on my car has come back on this morning so i'm going to have to go back to renault and book it in to have a new sensor fitted after all

172 Cup
Is this only going to be the sensor? I have just got that light on yesterday! I also have the light that comes on when you cant go above 3000RPM! I just no this is going to cost!!!

Lotus Elise, Clio 182 cup
I had this light up on my 182 & nearly sh** myself.
I realized that i was using cheap regular unleaded fuel as apose to high octaine stuff & asoon as i changed fuel, the light went out & has stayed out.

Iceberg 172
My car is booked into renault tomorrow to have a new 'down stream oxygen sensor' fitted,total cost (parts,labour etc..) £168.55.

Thanks boobles32 for your PM,i think i'll stop using the cheap regular unleaded fuel and start using the high octane stuff.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Seriously? Think the lamda is 40-50 quid from gsf, 1/2 hour to fit! Screw paying £170 for one!

3.2 V6 4KEV, 944 Cab, 172
My car is booked into renault tomorrow to have a new 'down stream oxygen sensor' fitted,total cost (parts,labour etc..) £168.55.

NO!! :eek:

Lisa, seriously, ring Birchdown on 01948 860335 and ask them to quote you for a new sensor, fitted... I think you will find they save you a load of money - and will give you a first-class service (they won't want to let your car go until they've checked over it, road-tested etc)...

Ask for Kev or Kev...

They're in Malpas, nr Whitchurch. It's a bit of a journey but I take all my cars there, I'm based just up th'road from you in Knutsford...

Cheers, Baggers. :)

VW Caddy Van
Mines is on 2, it's the after cat sensor thats goosed. Been reset a few times now and keeps coming bak on so new sensor. GSF all in is £65 and my works gonna fit it for £20. But trying to source a second hand one

Megane 230 R26
The problem came up as a 'down stream oxygen sensor' (whatever that is??)

There are two Oxygen sensors (sometimes called Lambda sensors), one before and one after the catalytic convertor. They monitor the exhaust gases for evidence of over-fuelling and the difference between the pre and post-cat sensor readings is used to measure the performance of the cat.

it came up with a miss fire on cylinder 3. now in my mind . i woundnt think the coil pack would just make no 3 cylinder miss fire.

That's entirely conceivable. The coil pack is essentially exactly what it sounds like, a pack of coils. Your problem is almost undoubtedly the #3 coil (but they're sealed in the pack so you need to replace the whole thing), the #3 HT lead or the #3 plug. I'd seek to eliminate the latter 2 before spending money on a coil pack...

Hope this helps :)

Arctic Blue FF 182
Seriously? Think the lamda is 40-50 quid from gsf, 1/2 hour to fit! Screw paying £170 for one!

A genuine renault lamda is £120 if i remember correctly, so the price probably sounds about right for the job to be done at renault

Renault Clio Mk2 PH2 DCI
Get this all the time flashing in mine, along side the STOP and another light cant rember which one now, But dosent like too be booted alot espically dropping it down the gears.
Soo have no idea but the car runs fine

Megane 230 R26
Get this all the time flashing in mine, along side the STOP and another light cant rember which one now, But dosent like too be booted alot espically dropping it down the gears.
Soo have no idea but the car runs fine

Yours sounds like it may be a sensor, if it doesn't like being driven in a spirited manner but is fine the rest of the time. Have you tried reading the fault codes?

Mine's come up on three occasions recently, flashing, whilst the car had been stationary for a minute or two. The first two times I stopped + restarted the engine and it went away, and the third time I drove off to see what would happen and after 1/4 mile it went out. I read the codes and there wasn't anything on there, so mine remains a mystery! :S

Iceberg 172
There are two Oxygen sensors (sometimes called Lambda sensors), one before and one after the catalytic convertor. They monitor the exhaust gases for evidence of over-fuelling and the difference between the pre and post-cat sensor readings is used to measure the performance of the cat

Thank you for explaining this,it's appreciated,cheers :D

Iceberg 172

A genuine renault lamda is £120 if i remember correctly, so the price probably sounds about right for the job to be done at renault

Thank you for backing me up on this price,i was beginning to feel like an idiot after the message from warren4. My car isn't going to renault now anyway,it's being sorted by a friends,friend who owns his own garage and services/repairs mainly renaults so he knows what he's doing and it's costing me £100 now

Thanks again :D

Megane 230 R26
Thank you for explaining this,it's appreciated,cheers :D

No problem :)

Thank you for backing me up on this price,i was beginning to feel like an idiot after the message from warren4. My car isn't going to renault now anyway,it's being sorted by a friends,friend who owns his own garage and services/repairs mainly renaults so he knows what he's doing and it's costing me £100 now

Thanks again :D

I don't think warren4 was disputing that's the Renault price, just advising that it can be done cheaper elsewhere, which is what you're now doing anyhow so it's all good :) Hope it fixes it don't forget to update us! ;)

clio 1.2 16v dynamique
ive had this happen to me on quite a few occasions and because i have lack of funds all the time i just drive it like normal and the warning light im seeing is exhaust emissions light restricts power or something not to sure so i just give mine a good thrashing and after a little while it fixes itself
fixes itself alot must know im broke :)