ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help - Brokendown

Monaco Blue Mk2
I was parking outside ours before and as I went up the curb the engine cut out. Now it wont start, it just keeps turning over.

Any ideas?

CB600FS
Triggered the inertia switch most likely. Have a look round the battery for a red button, press it down on the top.

Must have hit it pretty hard?

Monaco Blue Mk2
Nothing at all, totally out of the blue.
I didn't hit the curb hard. I always come to a complete stop and then creep up the curb whenever I have to park on a curb.
Could it still be this inertia switch TomTom, it'll do no harm to try pressing it down anyway?

M

mini-valver

Take th oil cap off and crank it over. If the cams turn it's not the cambelt. Dodgy fuel gauge and you've ran out?

Monaco Blue Mk2
^I'm pretty confident it's not a fuel problem, the gauge has always been spot on and I put £10 in from empty on Saturday an have only done about 20miles since so it can't be that.

M

mini-valver

Does it crank over normally or does it sound weird? Smell of fuel?

Monaco Blue Mk2
Dodgy crank sensor?

Well it's been in the garage...
That's what they thought it was at first.

Turns out it's the cambelt. I had it done last year and they said it's not been done properly. The bottom bolt hasn't been fastened up and not properly tensioned.
They said the timings all out it needs new gear and obviously a new cambelt, and then the head needs stripping to see what the damage is.
Probably looking at £800-£900 FFS! :mad:

Do you reckon it's worth it?
Would it be cheaper to get a new engine?
2000 1.4

Last edited:
  Monaco Blue Mk2
Cheaper to get a new block probably, cant remember was yours the 8v as well?

It is mate yeah!
I've been onto the place who did it to see if they'll take any of the responsibility/do anything for me as obviously it wasn't right. They didn't sound too enthusiastic but said bring it in an we'll have a look. I dunno if it's worth having it trailered up there for them to just turn round and say no. I've also thought of stripping it an selling for parts. I'm tempted to just tell my garage to sort it for the money, I just can't be bothered with all the hassle. Absoloute nightmare!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah not what youd expect :( Feel for you bud.

The E7J engines must go for pennys though, get on the blower to MattBlack see what he can sort for you. Or 172 it!!

Mégane RS
surely the garage who fit it are responsible, you not got any reciepts or anything, id get onto trading stadndards