ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Heater stuck on full!

Just taken my 182 to Renault for the MOT and was totally fine when I drove it there.......... got in it to drive home, the heater is stuck on full!?

No matter what I do or press its stuck on so was like an oven driving back! Not saying it's anything they've done as was only an MOT, i'm more thinking is this going to be the standard Clio issue I've read about do you think, maybe needing a new heater resistor?

Car flew through MOT with zero advisories.... this spoilt the joy the that!!

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
I had this on a Ford focus I had.

It was the heater resistor (the item that limits the fan speed). Cheap enough and simple to replace, well it was on the focus anyway.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Can you adjust the heat?

Only asking as mines on full, no adjustment in speed. This was after the original one failed and didn't work on any speed.

Replacement tomo should hopefully cure it.

Can you adjust the heat?

Only asking as mines on full, no adjustment in speed. This was after the original one failed and didn't work on any speed.

Replacement tomo should hopefully cure it.

No I don't think I can mate, on the drive home which was about 15 miles it was just full on with the heat, which at full blast made for a toasty drive back, had to have the windows down lol!

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
Hi had this on the vee.Also couldn't adjust temp.It was the resistor and new one from Renault did hurt the wallet

PH2 172
No I don't think I can mate, on the drive home which was about 15 miles it was just full on with the heat, which at full blast made for a toasty drive back, had to have the windows down lol!
Pull the fuse in the LH end of the dash.

monaco 172
The resistor is easy to fix and will be what is causing the full speed.

Take it apart (it's under the windscreen wipers drivers side) scrape the sticky stuff off around the large chip, get the code off it and order from from rs components (cost about 3 quid) and solder the new chip in. I used some blue silicone to reseal the area before putting the plastic case back on.

Happened to me last year and it's been good as new ever since.

Stuck on full heat will be another issue, not 100% sure what but I read somewhere about putting a tie wrap around the end of the motor in the drivers footwell

So i've now had the car in Renault and it's the worst scenario (that I kind of expected)........ needs the heater resistor for the speed AND a new heater box as it's shot for the heat.... Balls! The guy at the garage said they can do a quick fix *cough* bodge for the heat but I said no, especially as it appears the car has already had a 'short cut' done with this in the past (cog bodge?) which he discovered when he was digging around having a look for the issue. It clearly hasn't worked before so we both agreed no point whatsoever doing it again and I don't want short cuts done on this car anyway.

No charge for the visit this time which is cool so now I can have a look into what's best to do, I've already booked it in again for the resistor to be done next week as it's not a lot of money and will sort the speed, but holding fire on the heater box for now as they are stupid money from Renault.

Looking at the boxes/matrix on eBay, does anyone know if this is suitable for a 182? I know the Cup ones are different

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-RENA...:MK+II&hash=item440ab0ba18:g:758AAOSwqgRZqoA8

monaco 172
So i've now had the car in Renault and it's the worst scenario (that I kind of expected)........ needs the heater resistor for the speed AND a new heater box as it's shot for the heat.... Balls! The guy at the garage said they can do a quick fix *cough* bodge for the heat but I said no, especially as it appears the car has already had a 'short cut' done with this in the past (cog bodge?) which he discovered when he was digging around having a look for the issue. It clearly hasn't worked before so we both agreed no point whatsoever doing it again and I don't want short cuts done on this car anyway.

No charge for the visit this time which is cool so now I can have a look into what's best to do, I've already booked it in again for the resistor to be done next week as it's not a lot of money and will sort the speed, but holding fire on the heater box for now as they are stupid money from Renault.

Looking at the boxes/matrix on eBay, does anyone know if this is suitable for a 182? I know the Cup ones are different

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-RENAULT-CLIO-1-2L-PETROL-3DR-HEATER-MATRIX-BOX-/292237130264?fits=Model:Clio|Plat_Gen:MK+II&hash=item440ab0ba18:g:758AAOSwqgRZqoA8

Did you not read my post re the resistor? It's a 3 quid fix to diy it. Or 13 quid if you don't currently own a soldering iron

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Don't pay someone to fit the resistor steve, takes five minutes. A second hand one will be about a tenner.

@Kelv msy have one

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I have one I can whizz out of a car on Monday morning and post.
I can test its working perfectly before removing.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Replacement of the resistor is very easy, even if you are not that mechanically minded.

I have bought at least three clio 1*2's with the heater stuck on hot. I have managed to fix all of them by either replacement of the motors or the fix, which I think is detailed on here somewhere regarding use of the coolant hose clip. Has worked fine every time and although described as a "bodge" works very well and has stood the test of time. Even if the complete heater matrix is replaced it will probably do it again .
Unfortunately it is a poor design.

Anakin

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi TT RS Clio 182
just a FYI I cut the extrernal temp sensor(NS mirror) off and got hot air! Also the stereo fuse was blown.
reinstated it and all good.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
The resistor is easy to fix and will be what is causing the full speed.

Take it apart (it's under the windscreen wipers drivers side) scrape the sticky stuff off around the large chip, get the code off it and order from from rs components (cost about 3 quid) and solder the new chip in. I used some blue silicone to reseal the area before putting the plastic case back on.

Happened to me last year and it's been good as new ever since.

Stuck on full heat will be another issue, not 100% sure what but I read somewhere about putting a tie wrap around the end of the motor in the drivers footwell

Just done this to mine, fairly simple fix.