ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headunit / Door Speaker Advice

Trophy #387
Hey

I'm looking for some advice for my sound system, currently I do not have any upgraded system in my car and I am 100% looking for a new head unit immediately, and also probably new front and rear door speakers.

I don't have a budget as such, but obviously a bargain or a good value cheaper system would be right up my street! :)

I don't think i'm going to get 6x9s in the car, I think a decent head unit and some good door speakers can have the same effect without ruining the shelf... So if anyone could recommend me a good head unit and speakers then i'd really appreciate it.

Cheers

Vauxhall Frontera
Hi Jonny

What are your system requirements ie iPod, bluetooth, pre-outs for amps etc? Do you want to get it all in one go or upgrade over time?

Si

clio 172 ph1 x 2
i got a set of 5 inch front speakers for sale!

boston acoustics s50

£50 inc pnp

will need an amp to get the best out of them, also best to mount them on some MDF rings.
then you will need to dynamat the doors and it will go on and on!
oh wiring kit for amp LOL

had them on a jbl 75.2 amp

good thing about a 3 door, you dont need back speakers!

2 way up front + sub in the boot!

good call on the 6x9's :)

Last edited:
  Stripped yozza'd cup
Best head unit for sensible money by a very long way

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-cda-117ri.html

In terms of the rest, The speakers that supercds is selling are good. Although I'd buy dls components myself. About £65 from the same website as the headunit.

Amp is essential IMO. The improvement over HU power is amazing.

Dynamating is a good idea, but pretty time consuming. Depends how keen you are.

clio 172 ph1 x 2
no dls on there, SPL Dynamics SD or Hertz Dieci or energy get good reviews (low end)

top end that are good cdt, focal + rainbow

if you can try and listen to some before spending big money on a set?

Nimbus R27
It also depends on what type of music and volume you play your stuff at too. I have a complete DLS system and the SQ is amazing for vocal tracks etc. If you like it heavy and very loud there may be more suitable alternatives. I love the dls sound as its easy to listen too and sounds really natural. Due to the silk tweets, they are not too sharp like some others.

Good results come from good installation though, as mentioned above...mdf mounts, sound deadening etc. Factor this into your budget.

Stripped yozza'd cup
no dls on there, SPL Dynamics SD or Hertz Dieci or energy get good reviews (low end)

top end that are good cdt, focal + rainbow

if you can try and listen to some before spending big money on a set?

Might be car audio direct I got them from? Try that.....

Vauxhall Frontera
Best head unit for sensible money by a very long way

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-cda-117ri.html

In terms of the rest, The speakers that supercds is selling are good. Although I'd buy dls components myself. About £65 from the same website as the headunit.

Amp is essential IMO. The improvement over HU power is amazing.

Dynamating is a good idea, but pretty time consuming. Depends how keen you are.

I agree that this is a good HU primarily as I've just purchased one. Planning to upgrade speakers and amp them when pennies allow!

Trophy #387
Hi Jonny

What are your system requirements ie iPod, bluetooth, pre-outs for amps etc? Do you want to get it all in one go or upgrade over time?

Si

iPod & USB so I can charge and play music through my blackberry.

I'll probably want to get it all done at once, i'll maybe have to wait a while to save up for the amp to run the speakers through it but I can afford the head unit and door speakers now.

It also depends on what type of music and volume you play your stuff at too. I have a complete DLS system and the SQ is amazing for vocal tracks etc. If you like it heavy and very loud there may be more suitable alternatives. I love the dls sound as its easy to listen too and sounds really natural. Due to the silk tweets, they are not too sharp like some others.

Good results come from good installation though, as mentioned above...mdf mounts, sound deadening etc. Factor this into your budget.

I like all kinds of music and I don't really play 1 specific type but I do like a lot of bass from a system, although that's not ideal for all types of music. I'd say just a moderate amount of bass would suit me perfectly.

--

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-mvh-8200.html

I've been looking at this and I think it looks like good value for the price, it has the USB / iPod connections that I need and it's not overly expensive... Has anyone got one of these or could someone tell me whether this would be better than the Alpine unit someone posted above ^_^

Cheers lads.

Stripped yozza'd cup
I haven't seen or heard this particular HU, but I would be very very surprised if it was better the alpine unit. It really is superb.

Vauxhall Frontera
I'd seriously try and get a listen and have a play with a few units before chosing. I got my Clio in April and it took me till October to decide on an HU, I recomend taking an iPod packed with a good playlist variety. I agree with Jack re the Alpine, I've only ever had Alpine HU's even when past jobs have offered me alternatives for discounts I was never tempted!

Where are you located? Someone in your area may be able to recommend a good retailer in your area.

Si

Trophy #387
I live in Sussex mate, so quite near Jack! I know of a few places near by such as Ian Banning's who could order it in and fit it for me, unless they already have it.

Thanks for the advice, i'll definitely listen to the HU before making a decision as i'm tight and won't spend money without making sure it'll be worth it! aha :)

Stripped yozza'd cup
I live in Sussex mate, so quite near Jack! I know of a few places near by such as Ian Banning's who could order it in and fit it for me, unless they already have it.

Thanks for the advice, i'll definitely listen to the HU before making a decision as i'm tight and won't spend money without making sure it'll be worth it! aha :)

Best way to be mate!
I'll be buying the alpine one I suggested next month, so if you haven't decided yet, you're more than welcome to come and have a listen to mine.

Where abouts are you from?

Trophy #387
I live over in a little village called Loxwood right on the Surrey/Sussex border, i'm about 30 mins from Crawley :) and yeh thanks man, i'll probably take up that offer if i'm still torn between a few :)

I'm actually pretty torn over whether to spend my money on a sound system or whether to buy an exhaust system... decisions, decisions! Haha

Stripped yozza'd cup
I live over in a little village called Loxwood right on the Surrey/Sussex border, i'm about 30 mins from Crawley :) and yeh thanks man, i'll probably take up that offer if i'm still torn between a few :)

I'm actually pretty torn over whether to spend my money on a sound system or whether to buy an exhaust system... decisions, decisions! Haha

Lol. Which one is the worst as standard?

Trophy #387
Well stock clio exhausts are right underneath the car so you can't and they really don't make much noise at all .. If I was to get the exhaust done first it'd improve looks and the noise, whereas getting a sound system done would just mean I can listen to music louder and clearer! .. I mean, the current speakers in there now actually don't sound too bad, but I know there's a lot of improvement.

The negative side to getting an exhaust done first would be that it'd increase the insurance :(

clio 172 ph1 x 2
that pioneer does look good! 3" colour screen for videos ect, but no cd player!
would be good if hooked up to a 10cd mp3 auto changer

think the sound quality would be better on the alpine, depends what your after

i have a pioneer deh 9600mp, it has the burr brown chip, so sounds good. also love the screen savers with the dolphins :)

Stripped yozza'd cup
Jack,

You getting the dual adaptor cable for the steering wheel contol and the existing display?

Si

I'd like the steering wheel controls, but I'm not really that bothered about the screen.... I might take the screen out and replace it with a hard wired Satnav and fibreglass it into the dash. I haven't really decided yet.

Stripped yozza'd cup
Well stock clio exhausts are right underneath the car so you can't and they really don't make much noise at all .. If I was to get the exhaust done first it'd improve looks and the noise, whereas getting a sound system done would just mean I can listen to music louder and clearer! .. I mean, the current speakers in there now actually don't sound too bad, but I know there's a lot of improvement.

The negative side to getting an exhaust done first would be that it'd increase the insurance :(

Have you found out how much they'll increase it by?