ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headunit cutting out

Jap Box
Hi,

Well ive had this problem since I bought the car, but then it went for a good 2months and now its back and worst than ever!

Well I thought to begin water was getting somewhere and cutting the headunit out, so it would then turn back on a few seconds later. But now its sometimes cutting out and not coming back on, it is also cutting out in the dry too.

Seems to be happening more often on bumpy roads, but also on normal ones too.

Checked the connector into the back on the HU and all is fine, what other wires should I be looking at?

EDIT: Just thought, it might actually be the headunit itself, it was in the last car in the crash and water most likely got onto there as there was very heavy rain when the car was in storage, and loads got in the dash because the windscreen was smashed. The was some slight greeny/blue corrosion on the back of the headunit (I think thats what it was) maybe theres something loose inside there now?

Thanks

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
More than likely be a loose/broken live wire, the fuse will blow when the live wire hits bare metal.

Jap Box
More than likely be a loose/broken live wire, the fuse will blow when the live wire hits bare metal.

Where would I be looking for this?, no problems behind the headunit itself as ive had all of that out myself to check, and put it back in tidy too.

Vauxhall Frontera
Kerry

If the HU has been in a crash it may have some internal damage that is causing the fault. If a PCB cracked or something similar it may still work but suffer intermittent failure.

Si

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Sorry but it could anywhere from the fusebox to the stereo but my first place to look would be behind the stereo (but you have already checked this ), it could even be in the stereo itself? Have you tried another stereo?

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Just read your edit Kerry, yes sounds like your stereo, try another.

Jap Box
Kerry

If the HU has been in a crash it may have some internal damage that is causing the fault. If a PCB cracked or something similar it may still work but suffer intermittent failure.

Si

The crash impact wasnt hard to be fair on it, the headunit was still on when the car was upside down so I doubt it would be that, could be a posibility though if everything else is fine.

Sorry but it could anywhere from the fusebox to the stereo but my first place to look would be behind the stereo (but you have already checked this ), it could even be in the stereo itself? Have you tried another stereo?

Ahh great :p had another stereo in when I first got the car, it didnt have the problem but it wasnt in for very long. I think ill try replace it for a week or two and see if the problem goes with a different one, but knowing my luck it will fix itself when I swap them or something haha.