ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Head unit and Clock

Clio 182
Ok, so basically I may have had a bit of a dumb moment accidentally, but as someone who has absolutely no electrical knowledge, or any knowledge for that matter I need some help!
So, I think I managed to drop my ipod wire into the cigarette lighter thingy. I say think because I didn't put the head unit and the clock going off at a similar time until a little while after of turning it off and on again! Would this cause a fuse to blow?
Strangely, the clock then came on a few restarts later and about half a mile down the road, however after I've turned the car off again and it didn't come back on, which may blow the fuse theory (ha)

Any ideas would be great, thanks!
Also feel free to tell me how stupid I am :p

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
So you are saying the headunit wont turn on and the clock is intermittent.
Probably is a fuse and i am not sure but I think the headunit will have a fuse on the back of the unit. If not it will be in the fuse panel on side of the dashboard panel - cant remember if its on the drivers side or passenger side. Check the clio manual to see which fuse controls what. Is the cigarette lighter working?

Clio 182
In a long winded way, yeah, that was what I was saying!
Light inside cigarette lighter is working but not the actual power from it

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Ok sounds like it will be easy to fix,
first replace the cigarette lighter fuse - find the fuse panel in the side of the dash (open the car door to see it) . Halfords botley road sell the fuses on the back wall to the left.
Then you might need to replace the headunit fuse , you will need to eject the headunit (im guessing you headunit is an aftermarket one) and look for the fuse.
example:
radiofuse.png

wont take you more than 20 minutes in total . Hardest bit is figuring out how to pop the headunit out.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Forgot to say with these fuses they are made of clear coloured plastic so you can see if the fuse is blown which is handy.

Clio 182
Ah thank you very much! I'll have a go at that tomorrow. I have no idea how the head unit pops out since I wasn't the one to install it!

Clio 182
So, after messing around trying to get the head unit out (needs a special key thing to actually get it out which I don't have) I went to the fuses, thinking I'd have to go to halfords anyway to get some, but as it was there were spare fuses in there anyway and one fuse later it's all back working! No fuse in the head unit itself then I'd say. Still not quite sure how the clock managed to come on yesterday with a blown fuse, but still!