ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Head gasket? I have a bit of smoke when revving...

Clio 172 Phase II
Hi all--thanks for looking!

My 02 plate 172 has just done 135,000 miles. It is just starting to feel a tiny bit old- the idle is slightly rough sometimes (with flashing EM light when idling every now and then that goes when I restart the engine) and I get a bit of white vapour when booting it hard sometimes. It may have always done this but I may just have only noticed it.
I had a service 1000 miles ago.

My question is, does anyone else get much white smoke (water vapour?) when revving hard? Anyone had a head gasket go ever?
ta!

Dom

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
If it's Uncle Buck levels of steam (it's not smoke), then perhaps do a bit of under-bonnet reconnaissance.

If it's cold out and you're running a petrol engine then expect water as a by-product of combustion. Water warms up and becomes steam.

Homework: GCSE Chemistry.

:evil:

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
The F4R despite being renaults is a very hardy engine, Iv not seen many that the head gasket lets go on. But like everything, depends on its history. Few things to check, do a compression test, Im not sure what your results are meant to be but im sure someone will have these. check under the oil cap for white sludge, and check your coolant bottle for oil in the water.

If the compression is low. It may indicate exhaust gases leaking through the head gasket into the coolant system and also coolant into the combustion chamber causing the white smoke. If this is the case your temp guage would climb. Does your car water level remain steady?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
You sure its steam and not white smoke? The way to tell is either hold a bit of paper upto the exhaust (water will condensate, smoke will not) or see if it stays in the air, steam will disappear, smoke wont. If its smoke, then it could be piston rings...

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
Wouldnt it be blue smoke if piston rings? Result of burning oil. Also if its deffo white/grey smoke and not steam then is that a sign of it running lean?

Clio 172 Phase II
Hi. Thansk for all the help. It's not losing coolant (after a 50 mile hard caning the coolant level stayed the same). It may be 'normal' water vapour from conbustion bit it seemed to be quite a lot of it. Thanks again all. I will use the paper trick and see what that does.