ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Has anyone refurbed their own headlights?

ClioSport 182
Hi All,

Tonight I have tryed to refurb my headlights on my 182, I firstly washed them and then sanded them down with 800 grade sand paper,Ii then washed again and then sanded them down with 1200 grade sandpaper. I then applied some autoglym super resin polish. However the lights have just hazed up and I cant seem to get rid of the haze, theres no shine to the lense.

Have I not done something or have I done something wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

ph1 172
Did mine the other day. Spend abit of time and care on them, mine have come up like new.
I started with 1000 grit wet and dry, the 1500 then 2000 then 2500 then AG cutting polish apply generously and a couple of times, then AG super resin polish.
Make sure you use warm water and keep applying plenty of water on them.
I removed my lights to do it, not strictly necessary but I though worth it.

pimp mobile Zafira
I did mine a couple of months ago. You'll need to work up the grades. I finished with 1800 before polishing.

ClioSport 182
Thanks Mate, Should I just keep sanding at them or try more polish, and by cutting polish do you mean like a rubbing compound? Sorry if i'm being a bit thick here :S

ph1 172
Auto Glym do something called "cutting polish" worth getting some otherwise this won't work. Persevere with it, I would get some 1500 then 2000 and maybe 2500 depending how fussy you are and just work them in. It does take abit of time to get them good. Once you have finished with the highest grade you get, clean it off, dry it and you should see a smooth haze across the whole lense, but no deep scratches. Now apply your Auto Glym cutting polish work that in hard, re-do that a couple of times, then apply your super resin or whatever car polish you have. You should now have a lense thats looks like new.
HTH

ClioSport 182
Auto Glym do something called "cutting polish" worth getting some otherwise this won't work. Persevere with it, I would get some 1500 then 2000 and maybe 2500 depending how fussy you are and just work them in. It does take abit of time to get them good. Once you have finished with the highest grade you get, clean it off, dry it and you should see a smooth haze across the whole lense, but no deep scratches. Now apply your Auto Glym cutting polish work that in hard, re-do that a couple of times, then apply your super resin or whatever car polish you have. You should now have a lense thats looks like new.
HTH

Thanks, Ill give it another go tomorrow and see how it turns out! ;)

Nas

Eunos Roadster
imo you need to use higher grit than 1200, work your way up 1500, 2000, 2500 and use plenty of soapy water, the soap will act as a lube(these higher grits are not so easily available from halfrauds etc).

Ph 1 172
I sanded mine down with 600/800/1200 then you need to use a cutting polish, megs scratch x 2.0 is a good choice can
Get it from halfords think it's about £10. Then use your srp. Srp has no cutting agent
In it at all is a filler that's why it only keeps it hazey

ClioSport 182
Thanks for the advice guys, Re-sanded them this morning and then used a generous amount of cutting polish and then super resin polish, they came up like new!!!

Cheers. :D