ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

hard drive data recovery experts!

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
Hi Guys,

a few months ago my old laptop died due to a graphics card failiure that was built into the motherboard, so I had to get a new laptop.

Is there any way I can salvage the data from my old hard drive? the problem being that the ssd hard drive is built into the motherboard.

Doubt it's part of the mobo, sure it's not just an add-in? Very often they'll be mSATA/M2 PCIe etc. What model was it?

If it is built in, and you really can't get anything on screen at all you'd be stuck tbh, unless you managed to find an automated, bootable system to copy the files out, but that'd be a pain.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Definitely part of the mobo itself? That sounds like a very bad design - just for this type of scenario.

What make and model is it?

Some of the real cheap webtop things have a built in SSD, my mum got one (against better advice) and it's a total pain in the arse.

Ah, a lovely netbook! I thought they were all dead by now... :D

Sadly I suspect you're scuppered, unless, as above, you manage to find a bootable, scriptable program that can just image the drive across to removable storage.

Listerine & Poledo
The SSD must have a set of ports on it, somewhere, even if they're non-standard
If it can come off the board, there's got to be a method to get an IDE lead into it.....no?

The SSD must have a set of ports on it, somewhere, even if they're non-standard
If it can come off the board, there's got to be a method to get an IDE lead into it.....no?
Not necessarily - a flash ROM used in place of an SSD doesn't have to conform to any form factor if it's used as SoC, just be able to be addressed through the motherboard through the usual protocol.

Listerine & Poledo
Not necessarily - a flash ROM used in place of an SSD doesn't have to conform to any form factor if it's used as SoC, just be able to be addressed through the motherboard through the usual protocol.
Bugger. I thought I must have missed something.