ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hankook RS2's as an everyday tyre

182 Cup
Due to the extorsionate price of PE2's at the moment, I've decided to run Hankook RS2's as a daily (and occasional trackday) tyre. I've not used anything other than the Michelin PE2's since I've had it (if you exclude the Kumho V70A's for track a while back), as I've always found them to be excellent.

Anyway, after reading a thread on here where a few had rated them reasonably highly I went for a set of four. It's way too early to say what they're like at the moment as they were only fitted this morning, but for those who are interested I'll let you know.

Tav

Clio 197
Friend has them on his EK9 Civic Type R, no complaints day to day. He ran them over winter. The tread doesn't look particularly track day spec?

182 Cup
The tread doesn't look particularly track day spec?

I'd agree with you there, they're nothing like an R888 or A048-R to look at, but from what I read they're listed in the msa blue book as a 1b tyre along with the two tyres listed above.

I don't think they'll perform as well as the two above either on track, but I think they'll be a better compromise (i.e. won't be worn down to nothing in a few thousand miles) for the road.

ah, interesting - should be a little stickier than most other road tyres then

most that i've noticed have a rating of 280+. Michelin Cups are 80, and Yoko A0R/Toyo 888s are 60

172 Race Car
Very interested to hear what you think of them. I will need a set of road tyres/wet track day tyres at some point. Was set on getting a set of PE2's. Not sure how the prices compaire in 15's.

Dan R said the RS2's were quite good for a well treaded tyre

The tread doesn't look particularly track day spec?
They have a much better tread pattern (more suitable for road use) than a R888/A048. But have a stiff side wall like track focused tyres

182 Cup
Not sure how the prices compaire in 15's.

Still expensive! Blackcircles are asking between £110-119 depending on speed rating for a 205/50R15. I did look at going to 15's as an option, but I still balked at those prices.

In comparison the 205/45R16 Hankooks are £65 from Camskill.

Plodwyn

ClioSport Club Member
  182 cup
Have recently fitted a set within the last two months so not got much miles on them. The most noticeable thing is they dont half give a harsher ride than the PE2 suppose cos they're track orientated. really good in the wet also

172 Race Car
Friend has them on his EK9 Civic Type R, no complaints day to day. He ran them over winter. The tread doesn't look particularly track day spec?

Don't they have a similar compound to the likes of A048/R888 too?

I'm interested in how you get on with them.
Yea i think the compound is a typical track focused one, meaning they work well when warmed up a bit, coz they have some meaty trad they 'could' be good for wet lapping

Have recently fitted a set within the last two months so not got much miles on them. The most noticeable thing is they dont half give a harsher ride than the PE2 suppose cos they're track orientated. really good in the wet also
That will be down to the side walls, imaging fitting 18'' wheels to a clio with very low profile tyres

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Would be good to get some feedback on these as 888's in 17's £500+ whereas RS2's £300 ish.

182 Cup
I didn't think they were that much stiffer than the Exaltos, especially after I adjusted the pressures down from the 40psi the tyre fitters had kindly given me! Certainly not anywhere near as stiff as the V70A's.

With only 50 miles on them I've conducted my own personal traction test tonight, basically flooring it in second gear round a regulary used tight corner leading to a motorway slip road. PE2's used to give up and more lock was required, V70A's (medium) just gripped and gripped. The RS2's had more grip than the PE2's, but not by a massive amount. Still it is only three degrees tonight and the tyres are still too fresh to give an realistic opinion. I'm not disappointed at this stage though.

172, Tiguan
Just watch yourself through standing water and puddles, rest of the time you'll be fine and in the summer you'll be laughing!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Definitely keeping an eye on this thread! The RS2's are highly likely to be my next choice for the fronts. Loads of tread left on the rear Contis, so I'll probably leave them for now.

Jon - do they aqua-plane badly in standing water?

Cheers,
D.

172, Tiguan
I found it was worst on cambered motorways. You can really feel them struggling to clear away the water sometimes. They are marketed as a track tyre, so i guess you have to take the rough with the smooth, but I will be buying another set soon without hesitation, the wear rate is pretty good and the grip in the dry is fantastic.

Mk2 172
I had them as burp has already said and they are absolutely fine as a road tyre in any weather. Compound is harder than say an R888 but still works very well on track due to the track tyre sidewall which is the main problem with a road tyre being used on track. It is much stiffer and makes for a good road/track tyre imo. Not as good as an R888 but is cheaper and better for road use :)

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Anyone used the Bridgestone Potenzas reo70's ?

My mates subaura had no probs & little wear all day at Silverstone unlike my contis :cry:

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Whats the latest, think i'm going for a set after reading up on them;)

The r888's got trashed at silverstone so nice alternative.

182 Cup
No problems with ultimate grip and as said previously it's an improvement over the PE2's.

The sidewalls are stiffer and that's affected the ride, but with the suspension I'm running it's barely noticeable. It's difficult to give an opinion on turn in performance as I only ran PE2's for a day on the AST suspension before changing to the Hankooks. Overall I'm liking them and have no regrets changing over to them.

No idea what they're like in the rain, but I'll be taking Jon_r's advice and taking it easy in standing water.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
A lot of people run these on MX5s. TBH I am thinking about getting some as the dry season is approaching and hopefully shouldn't need such good performance in the wet as a Michellin gives.

Whilst they are cheaper they wear quicker... So.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Still expensive! Blackcircles are asking between £110-119 depending on speed rating for a 205/50R15. I did look at going to 15's as an option, but I still balked at those prices.

In comparison the 205/45R16 Hankooks are £65 from Camskill.

205/50-15 is a funny size though.

I'm pretty sure you can pick up 195/50-15 Michellins for £50.

182 Cup
Ok, had a great time at Brands Hatch yesterday and depite the weather reports stating that heavy rain was forecast, it remained dry all day.

The tyres performed very well, the turn in was sharper than the Exaltos and the outright corning grip was very impressive. There was no tyre squeel either even after a good 10-12 laps of pushing hard.

They did start to get pretty hot after 10 laps and I could feel them starting to go off, but not to the extent that the Michelins ever did and they continued to provide consistent grip.

When they started to get too hot I was giving them the chance to cool down in the pits for 15-20 mins and the difference could immediately be felt on the next session.

Looking at the tyres at the end of the day, they have held up very well, there are no signs of cracking or severe degredation. Wear was also good and there's plenty of life left in them. The sidewalls are also clearly stiffer than the Michelins as they look much less 'abused' on the edges.

For the price I'm impressed and very pleased, especially when you consider that the Michelins are not a bad tyre for the track either.

BMW M5 & E36
Did they take much bedding in as such? I'm tempted to order some in time for Brands RS day, but I doubt i'll get chance to run them on the road before hand. Bad idea?

182 Cup
Did they take much bedding in as such? I'm tempted to order some in time for Brands RS day, but I doubt i'll get chance to run them on the road before hand. Bad idea?

All tyres take a few hundred road miles to bed in and give their best, but I'd imagine you could achieve the same in a handful of laps at Brands. Just take it slow to start with and build your pace up.

182 trophy
im running these on the front of my teg at the moment with no complaints and when i pick my cup up tomorrow it will probably get these too as im not willing to pay no £110 per corner for the pe2

Guy I know runs these on his fabia for trackdays. Depending on how much track time I can get in the next year probably buy a set for the fabia.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
About time;)

They are fantastic on road & supprisingly good in the wet. Got them on the Cup already:D

RSC 182 Cup
Hi Inferno and other hankook users.
I'm very tempted in ourchasing these for my 182 cup. They are $110AUD (54 pounds)
How are the tyres holding up. What sort of miles have you got out of them on road and track.
cheers