ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GT5

C-VXR. Once owned a Clio
Re: GT5 - News From Launch Event In Madrid!

More to come it seems!

Cant wait :)

I just got in from the Gran Turismo 5 launch party here in Madrid – packed with media representatives from around the world, it was a fitting way to celebrate the end of GT5’s long and dramatic development. Here’s what I learned:
  • Yamauchi announced that the launch of Gran Turismo 5 marks the beginning of a “new era” for the GT series. GT5 will be regularly updated and expanded in the coming weeks and months, and there are apparently many exciting things in store for us.
  • The first United States GT Academy was just announced last week, and now there will be yet another GT Academy for SCEE regions! Stay tuned for the official announcement.
  • I had the privilege of personally meeting Kazunori Yamauchi. Having followed his work so closely for more than a decade, this was an amazing honor. I found him to be kind, friendly, and humble as he thanked me for my support of the franchise throughout the delays.
  • I was also fortunate to meet and talk with Kazunori’s infamous translator, popularly known as “Translator-san”. He was also kind and pleasant to talk with, and if you’re playing the US version of the game, he’s the one responsible for most of the English translations throughout the menus.
  • Why does Ferrari have the only F1 car in the game? While talking to a marketing representative for one of the manufacturers in GT5, I finally received an answer to this perplexing question. It all comes down to licensing and Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone. He commands control of the licensing for all of the cars in the series, with the exception of Ferrari. For reasons known only to Bernie and Ferrari, they have a special provision in their F1 contract which allows them to license their cars to whomever they please.
  • I chatted with Sony Computer Entertainment Europe executive James Armstrong, who laughed when I reminded him of his accurate prediction that Gran Turismo 5 would launch this fall (I picked up his comments to a newspaper in the Canary Islands thanks to a local tipster). He mused, “Really, I just got lucky that time!”
Take a look at this first batch of pictures from the event – I’ll upload more (along with video) shortly. Tomorrow, I’ll be participating in Kazunori Yamauchi’s first post-GT5 question & answer session. I have a lengthy list of things to ask, but as always I expect our time to be limited and I will prioritize them as best I can. Stay tuned!
#gallery-1 { margin: auto; } #gallery-1 .gallery-item { float: left; margin-top: 10px; text-align: center; width: 33%; } #gallery-1 img { border: 2px solid #cfcfcf; } #gallery-1 .gallery-caption { margin-left: 0; }
http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismos-new-era-begins-full-coverage-of-gt5s-madrid-launch-party/

Citroen DS3 DSport
Also I've asked twice but my comments get lost in the sea of moan. Have people tried the PS Eye business? Anyone even tried 3D?

I briefly tried the PS3 Eye and it worked and allowed me to look around the car but I found it caused me to crash due to the odd nature of turning your head but keeping your eyes on the screen. Didn't mess around with the settings though which may make it better.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Right, had a few goes now (with the steering wheel), mainly arcade mode as there's a few of us playing. It's brilliant so far. Maybe the GT mode will frustrate me, not sure.

But, I can't imagine how crap it would feel with a pad. Driving the McLaren with the wheel, you can feel as you get to the edge and the f.feedback gives the sensation of the rear stepping out and the weight moving behind you. Change to the GTR, and the feeling is completely different. I'm amazed at how well you can 'feel' the weight (or the perception of weight).

I'll spend the rest of today in GT mode, see how it goes. But initial impression is that it's absolutely pointless without a wheel. A pad can't replicate the feeling of the wheel tugging gently as the camber changes.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Right, had a few goes now (with the steering wheel), mainly arcade mode as there's a few of us playing. It's brilliant so far. Maybe the GT mode will frustrate me, not sure.

But, I can't imagine how crap it would feel with a pad. Driving the McLaren with the wheel, you can feel as you get to the edge and the f.feedback gives the sensation of the rear stepping out and the weight moving behind you. Change to the GTR, and the feeling is completely different. I'm amazed at how well you can 'feel' the weight (or the perception of weight).

I'll spend the rest of today in GT mode, see how it goes. But initial impression is that it's absolutely pointless without a wheel. A pad can't replicate the feeling of the wheel tugging gently as the camber changes.

I agree, the wheel is fantastic in this game. I wish I had one for use in Forza 3 as I never played it often because I found with the pad the cars felt very arcadey.

C-VXR. Once owned a Clio

Couldnt agree more with you. I dare not use the pad lol

But initial impression is that it's absolutely pointless without a wheel. A pad can't replicate the feeling of the wheel tugging gently as the camber changes.

I'll also second that very strongly.

just completed the amg 'ring special at intermediate and hustling that big sls around there with the wheel bucking and sawing away is epic fun, takes some bloody holding on too.

Octy VRS
I need a cheap wheel I think. Can't justify/afford an expensive one and don't have room for the whole set up with pedals etc. Anyone used this?

Citroen DS3 DSport
It is very satisfying when you fight the force feedback during a huge powerslide through a corner before then accelerating off down the straight.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I keep getting told the time and date are wrong but it isn't : /. And why is a lotus Elise the biggest handful in the world on the top gear track? Not really a simulator of real life is it. And you get black flagged if they crash into you. Lol the NASCAR challenges are f**king rock hard with a pad.

I need a cheap wheel I think. Can't justify/afford an expensive one and don't have room for the whole set up with pedals etc. Anyone used this?

As harsh as it may sound, i think that unless you spend some decent money on one its not worth bothering with.

The big benefits of a wheel on GT5 are the force feedback (not rumble or crap axial feedback) and support for 900degree rotation which are only things your going to get on a higher end wheel.

I've got a logitech g25 but had a driving force pro before and that was a great wheel - they can be hard pretty cheaply now

PH1 iceburg
Anyone using the logitech driving force pro GT (official gran turismo model) Seen it with pedals for the £100 mark

Last edited:
  Octy VRS
As harsh as it may sound, i think that unless you spend some decent money on one its not worth bothering with.

The big benefits of a wheel on GT5 are the force feedback (not rumble or crap axial feedback) and support for 900degree rotation which are only things your going to get on a higher end wheel.

I've got a logitech g25 but had a driving force pro before and that was a great wheel - they can be hard pretty cheaply now
That one has got force feedback though. Thought it looked decent for the price.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'm using the driving force pro, had it for yrs. Was the official gt4 wheel iirc
5adb8882-503f-f8fb.jpg

clio 197 cup
i want to play using a wheel but its not the same just sticking it on your lap cause i aint playing it up stairs when ive got a massive 3d tv in living room. any ideas?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Buy a wheelstand pro as well. The wireless wheels without pedals are a bit pointless sadly, the throttle/brake control is very useful with pedals.

C-VXR. Once owned a Clio
News regading GT5 Online
Currently the online services of Gran Turismo 5 (GT5) is experiencing some extreme online traffic congestion.
Because GT5 performs online access not only when participating in online races and using community features, but also when starting the game and during the various screen displays in GT Mode, unfortunately this online congestion is also affecting standard gameplay.
If you are experiencing the following symptoms, we recommend that you temporarily play GT5 without connecting the PlayStation 3 (PS3) to the network.
(A) If you are finding it takes several minutes before being able to perform any actions in the following screens:
- Before the start of the opening movie, immediately after launching the game
- At the top screen after the game has started
- In various screens within GT Mode
(B) Or, when it takes several minutes or more to gain a result when the following operations are performed:
- When entering the open lobby, if it takes several minutes or more before the room list is acquired and displayed.
- When clicking on an ID in the participant list of a room, if it takes several minutes or more before the menu appears.
- When writing on the message boards within "Community", if it is taking several minutes or more for your posts to appear.
* Also, some of the following features have been limited intentionally as a measure to temporarily alleviate some of the network traffic. Due to these limitations, you will find that:
- The viewing and update of the [Log] in the Community section of GT Mode has been temporarily disabled.
- Changes to the Profile may not update in some cases.
- Changes to the Friend List may not update in some cases.
Currently we are simultaneously working on several different solutions to improve the network status and alleviate the network congestion as soon as possible. We are expecting to be able to provide a proper online service again soon
- http://eu.gran-turismo.com/gb/news/d17800.html

Octy VRS
Lol, a stand is another £100 on top of a wheel. You guys have too much money or no kids. I'm going to go for that one I posted as it's the wheel feedback I'm after, I can get used to paddles. Still going to be 10x better than the pad.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
If you noticed your GT homescreen crashing its because of the game not connecting to the server, theres a way to sort this though, log out of PSN and log back in, will sort it out,

Myself i love this game, when i unlocked the go-karts last night i had a massive grin on my face, sliding the go kart round the corners was immense i seriously love this game allready :) camper van challenge is proper annoying surely they can do more than 60+mph in real life, just how are you meant to get 1st position :s

Citroen DS3 DSport
I finally completed the annoying Top Gear Lotus race last night.

I bought a playseat for use with my pedals and that cost far more than the wheelstand pro which unfortunately was not available at the time I made my purchase.

Listerine & Poledo
I'm enjoying it with a pad, but it does get a bit wayward (especially on the 'ring)

The pad will work fine, apart from when you want to get really serious.

Glad to see the post above about the gameplay issues, I was doing quit/restarts from the PS menu every few minutes, thinking it had crashed!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Right. So spending hours on cs is ok. But having a wheel makes you a 40yr old virgin? ;)

It's much more enjoyable with a wheel. But then every driving game is.