ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Green Track Cup - Back To Basics

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Also made the clio a little shelter to try and keep the worst of the winter weather off it , until I get a proper roof over that area.

image.jpg

Halfords professional small car cover, they're great.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Had the car checked over today and it's good to go as far as regs go apart from needing to cover the holes in the bonnet and bumper for some strange reason. What makes it even stranger is if I the car was road legal they would be ok ???

Car weighs 920kg now or 1008kg with me in it. Diet time for me I think lol

Need to adjust the corner weight slightly when I fit the rear ast's next week.

image-2.jpg

Also seen Neil from the forum up there getting his RB cup checked over

image-1.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Easy to do Waynne but would mean another road tax and realistically wouldn't use it on the road.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
They are using MSA sprint regs , I am trying to find out more info just now about why the holes will mean i need a full race licence.
I should just need a non race National B licence.

Cup In bits
I'm surprised they never picked up on your FG doors tbh. I was told distinctly that I wouldn't be getting to race with them from Ian Afek and Rob Mckinna, past and present SMRC S&S's scrut.

You'll have far too much trouble if you're trying to return it to road going from what I understand. They'll want that cage out, roof L&O Ning and and good part of the interior back in etc etc. That was last years regs, have they tweaked them at all this year?

Also what's this about needing a race nat b license? That's one of the points that's attracting people to it... That you can apply for a license on the day!

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
SLS is following different regs to SMRC you are ok with fg doors along as a cage is fitted, also there is two levels of road legal.
Road legal as you say with full interior and road legal as in you can legally if you wish drive it to and from the track.
This year in SLS they are having a full road trim sub class within each power to weight group.

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Be wanting the holes covered up so you dont suck in any wildlife/spectators! ;)
still wanting to try the motor from my epas column?

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Not going to have time this time home Stu , away back on Sat 😧 .
Going to try and get the car on track end of Jan to test the brakes and rack at speed, I think the fact my car idles low is effecting the load to the motor as once the revs are up a bit it feels fine.

Last edited:
  Cup In bits
Sounds like it's gettng too complicated if I'm honest this year.

It should just be BHP/ton and fire on. It's decent that you can or could take a car on with nothing other than yellow tape on your battery negative, a hand held fire extinguisher (recommendation) plus your race gear and go out and race against the clock competitively on a circuit.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
The inside of the tailgate is fully cut away so no lock mechanism or wiring , the tailgate will be getting replaced by a fiberglass one soon.

Sorry to go way back a few years but do you have any suggestions of the best way to drill the holes neatly in the bonnet and not make a mess of it. Yours looks very neat and I am in the same situation with ITB's and a carbon bonnet?

Also how did you go about getting the ITB air filter back box? Did you buy the box and cut the holes in yourself or get Jenvy to machine the box to their known dimensions?

Great thread by the way. I am also going to try and replicate the boot butchering. ;)

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
When i drilled the holes i just covered the bonnet in masking tape , and marked it up then used a hole saw. Covering the carbon in tape should minimise splinters and cracking of the lacquer.
I bought the filter backing box from Riviere as a blank and marked and drilled it myself, really easy to do just bolt the bodies up without the trumpets and mark out the box.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
No Problem .
I hope to pull the car into the garage at the end of the week and get it ready for the track, just a spanner cheek really going to be interesting out on track for the first time since winter mods.

Electric power steering
Gripper gearbox and lower FD
More weight loss
New brakes
Whiteline roll bar

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Still not happy with the feel of the front brakes , I was going to try a smaller master cylinder but hoping to do a track day next week so in the mean time I'm going to refit the standard callipers with some new CL pads.

I did strip back one side of the engine bay and painted it up, still got the other side to do which is going to take a bit more time removing parts.
1422193474.jpg

Fitted my chronos as hoping to get the stickers for the 2 sets of 2118's next week.
1422193483.jpg

Tight fit :)
1422193480.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
The pad area on the Porsche callipers is bigger but actual piston size is smaller, this makes the brakes really sensitive and on track I think I would end up pushing too hard and end up locking the rears. The smaller master cylinder would bring the piston to master cylinder ratio back to near standard.
The other option I might do is just buy some 197 brembos and fit them with the brackets and 280mm discs I have.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Its 'Racedeck" plastic tiles , they have seen better days now and really needs a good clean . This is how they looked when first put down about 5 years ago.

garage004.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Finished under the bonnet today :)
I have received a set of CL RC8 pads so just waiting on new discs now and will get the system fully bled through.

1422450959.jpg

1422450949.jpg

Not looking forward to keeping the Chronos white while using high carbon content pads, so may end up selling these and keeping my Prorace 2's for my 3rd set of wheels.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks Wayne its not perfect under the bonnet but better than blue, it will get a proper paint job if the engine ever has to come out .

Just need to sort the steering out now as it seems to have stopped assisting altogether now lol