ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GOW - I don't get it

I bought the first as part of a bundle with my 360 years ago and am currently playing through GOW2 (thanks for the loan Butter) I honestly still don't see what all the fuss is about. It's "ok" but nothing is wowing me about it, I can't understand why so many people have been ranting on about how great it is. Both are a solid 7/10 IMO nothing more.

I agree. A friend brought it over a while back and I thought it was average at best TBH. It seems 'killer apps' are just so hyped that the marketing brainwashes the gamers. Killzone 2 is a perfect example. Very good game, but not perfect. In fact not even close to being perfect. As far as excellent shooters go, KZ2 is probably in the middle of my list, yet the rest of the world is jacking off over it like it's better than sex.

I've always preferred 1st over 3rd person views I'll admit but when you put it up against the likes of HL and Bioshock there's nothing about it that blows you away. The story is very obvious the controls are a little clumsy and while it's pretty there's nothing I've seen yet that's really struck me as impressive.

I loved the story mode and the horde mode, having to pay to play on microsofts laggy peer to peer network was however a ball ache

Talking of hyped games in general. I started FarCry2 afresh this weekend and I'm really enjoying it (PC version). Epic sense of freedom and exploration. Utterly beautiful graphics. You can happily just wander around doing nothing but taking in the scenery if you like, or you can get stuck in to the action. It's an awesome game. Certainly schools KZ2 in every possible way. As does Project Origin.

Hyped, platform specific games FTL.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
i fcuking love it. tremendous game. Farcry 2 on the otherhand is dull and tedious. imo of course.

Medicore multiplats ftl ;)

Farcry 2 was so boring and tedious and the graphics were s**t on the console versions, I do however acknowledge they were gorgeous on the pc screenshots I saw. I would complete it quick Roy before you change your mind ;)

For sure. I'm not too far into FC2 but so far I love it. I've heard that it gets boring for a while, and then excellent again. Time will tell. Yeah trust me the PC version looks sublime. That goes a long way in creating a shooter that's immersive. Killzone 2 however was largely just an on-rails scripted cliche, in comparison. And it's too short.

Trying to stay on topic - if KZ2 was not such a hyped exclusive, I doubt very much it would have got such high scores.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
what about the grpahics?!?! they're amazing, you 've got to realise this came out just about when the xbox was released. they wiped the dloor with everything else on the market. Smoothness wise, detail wise it was leaps and bounds ahead. PS3's only title IMHO which evencomes close, even now years later, is killzone 2.

then of course there is the multiplayer element, awesome.

The aim always has to be an awesome game and awesome graphics. However, awesome graphics don't make an awesome game. Forza 2 for example s***s all over GT5p but doesn't look anywhere near as good. Unfortunately though, having spent years geeking it up inside games PCs, it takes some pretty special graphics for me to be impressed. Killzone 2 didn't exactly bowl me over on that score, so GoW stands no chance at all. Granted though, I only played a little bit of it while I was Naseemed.

The online gears of war 2 'beta' is soon to be over thankfully as a huge patch (more than MS normally allow in size) is soon to hit xbox live with a revamped (i.e. working!) matchmaking system, free maps and 'stuff' :cool:

BMW M4; S1000 RR
GoW2 had a pretty good story I thought. Horde was really good fun too, but the want to play it died for me a week or so after finishing the main levels.

Titanium 182
personally I'm so sick of the ammount of average FPS games out (bar COD)
I have gone back to World of warcraft.

So it must be bad.
Far too many shooting games coming out at the moment anyway, I want more RPGs.

Meg R26, Nissan 200sx S13
I love GOW1+2 got totally immmersed in the story in the single player mode, but could never get into live at all tbh

Titanium 182
I actually don't see how you could become immersed into a brown screen with the occasional alien with motley crue esk dress sense and a voice akin to maryln manson running around shooting rifles at you.

I better hurry up and complete it so you can have it back then, lol.

Nae rush laddie!

Am enjoying KZ2 and Socom online and if I get bored theres always battlefield bad company! As for cod:world at war, the new map pack is like £8 so it can stay in the store lol!!!

Revels Mum & Sister
I agree. A friend brought it over a while back and I thought it was average at best TBH. It seems 'killer apps' are just so hyped that the marketing brainwashes the gamers. Killzone 2 is a perfect example. Very good game, but not perfect. In fact not even close to being perfect. As far as excellent shooters go, KZ2 is probably in the middle of my list, yet the rest of the world is jacking off over it like it's better than sex.

It also makes me laugh when someone judges the depth of a game when their mate brings it over for a quick blast.

Mito Sportiva 135
^ good point. I remember playing the original GoW on my mate's 360 and as an introduction to the next gen it was pretty impressive. But then owning it myself and playing it through, I thought it was pretty mediocre. The sequel was a lot better though.

Single player campaigns in general now though don't really keep me hooked, only Mass Effect and Fallout 3 have really kept me playing into the small hours on my todd on the 360.

It seems all about multiplayer now these days...and to be honest, I think playing online is the future of gameplay.

I played gow briefly over at Turkishes once, thought it was shite.

Bought GOW2, played it properly, loved it and will now love GOW when I get the time to play it through!

I'm split when it comes to the whole single player vs online side of a game. I think too many devs rely on the experience of online to make up for mediocre script and general experience on the single player. I enjoy a good single player game thats well polished as much as the fun of online with mates tbh. I hope that games don't get to a point where they rely soley on online multiplayer for content.

Multiplayer is where its at for me tbh, the single player games I have enjoyed have been quite expansive and immersive like GTA4 and MGS4

Multiplayer is where its at for me tbh, the single player games I have enjoyed have been quite expansive and immersive like GTA4 and MGS4

Recently I'd say the HL games on orange box, bioshock, Fallout, and GTA have been the ones I've enjoyed the single player side to.

I love my SP campaigns TBH. All good shooters, unless specific online affairs, should have a meaty campaign. IMO it's lazy programming (creativity wise) to design fantastic net code as a priority over building a long story.

You do know when the chubby cheek'd bumpkin goes warrior it includes changing into a mullet and tying pink and yellow tassles round his biceps?

DCi
I don't have a huge amount of experience with GoW2 but there was nothing that made me think it was as good as everyone says. I didnt play any single player though...

I played that horde thing at my friends apartment and it was a good laugh but I prefer CoD/zombies personally, the pace is a bit faster. However I think CoD could probably get away with losing the Single player element of the game altogether and it would still be great. Imo it's the best online experience there is.

I don't rate killzone, but probably because I have played sooo much CoD, i just cant get into fantasy settings as easily as vaugley realistic ones.

I think I would have prefered Far Cry 2 if it was on PC. The gaps between the action were just too long for me and the game mostly consisted of 'go to a building and kill someone, then go get another mission'
However playing it on the PC and ogling the GFX between missions would have made it a bit better as I'm a gfx wh0re!

Revels Mum & Sister
You do know when the chubby cheek'd bumpkin goes warrior it includes changing into a mullet and tying pink and yellow tassles round his biceps?

f**king knows it. Skills to pay the bills. I start shaking like the ultimate warrior as well

Pulled my finger out this weekend and put a few hours in and completed it. Definately grew on me more as I progressed through and it's an improvement on GOW 1. Still no HL or Bioshock though IMO.