ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Got caster yo

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
LOL at all the whats the point :rasp:

Brilliant chip love it bet it handles like a kart

Well to be fair not everyone knows about suspension geometry and handling so if all they have to go on is a picture of the wheels looking out of place in the arches then it would be easy to be left wondering why.

The 'handles like a go kart' line gets over used, but yes the really direct feel it has now is certainly a good step in that direction. :)

Only tried it on the road so far as I'm having a quiet month trackday wise, so going to be nearly two weeks now till I really get to try it out properly at Bedford next friday. I'm lookin forward to it though based on how it feels on a few of the roads near me where I've felt ok to really push on a bit and try it out so far.

Brilliant idea chip!

I noticed a massive improvement with the AST top mounts fitted running full castor. Although i dont think they gave as much castor as you have there!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Wanted to this on the SEAT but the arms just don't allow for it to be done easily.

Mental 172 Cup
For going shopping it obviously won't help, but for 'spirited' road driving it's a nice mod
For mainly road use though I would just go cup arms and then not have to worry about making clearance to stop rubbing etc.

What do you have to do to stop scrubbing?

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
Interesting. Having a set of spare arms around i was going to try this on the weekend but the weather was too good to waste. Out of interest how much weight has this added to the steering and if you have accelerated hard out of a slow corner how much snap is there now through the wheel?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Interesting. Having a set of spare arms around i was going to try this on the weekend but the weather was too good to waste. Out of interest how much weight has this added to the steering and if you have accelerated hard out of a slow corner how much snap is there now through the wheel?

Steering is heavier but only a little as obviously its power steering so not hard work either way.
It doesn't seem to pull around anymore when accelerating off roundabouts etc but if your aren't on the gas and let go of the wheel it has a strong self centreing action. Limited amount of testing so far due to only using it briefly on the road, will know more in a couple weeks as planning to do Bedford and silver stone in it.

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
Sounds good, you checked to see how much more camber this is giving you on lock? I should expect you would have a fair bit of negative camber on the outside wheel now, should work really well on track and possibly make the car much more stable in the fast stuff with you really being able to load the front end when cornering.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sounds good, you checked to see how much more camber this is giving you on lock? I should expect you would have a fair bit of negative camber on the outside wheel now, should work really well on track and possibly make the car much more stable in the fast stuff with you really being able to load the front end when cornering.

The camber difference when you turn the wheel is really noticeable yes. The inside wheel almost goes positive by the looks of it in fact.

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
I do realise that was a silly question. Half way through my sleep on my first night shift probably Wasent the best time to reply..

What is it scrubbing on was what I meant to ask? Isit something as simple as the arch liner or more then that?

Just the plastic that surrounds the driveshaft.

Punto/Clio GTT
i know f**k all about suspension, i know f**k all about camber and rod ends and ball joints, what i do know that chip, although an ugly b*****d, knows what the f**k hes doing and it must be a good mod, even if it does look like hes reversed up a gutter too fast

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
i know f**k all about suspension, i know f**k all about camber and rod ends and ball joints, what i do know that chip, although an ugly b*****d, knows what the f**k hes doing and it must be a good mod, even if it does look like hes reversed up a gutter too fast

you have just given me an idea how to adjust the caster on mine, flat out in reverse up a big curb should do the trick nicely!

I think this is an interesting thread, I know touring cars ran massive castor to fix some of the inherent problems with Fwd.

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Last night was the first time I got to take my car round some twistys i know well, since fitting the cup wishbones. The difference is amazing. The steering feels so pin sharp and the turn in is awesome.

Considering you can get a set of Cup wishbones from RenSpares for £35 delivered, I think this mod is a no brainer!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Last night was the first time I got to take my car round some twistys i know well, since fitting the cup wishbones. The difference is amazing. The steering feels so pin sharp and the turn in is awesome.

Considering you can get a set of Cup wishbones from RenSpares for £35 delivered, I think this mod is a no brainer!

Agreed, for a really easy mod without all the faffing about we did on mine, just bolting on a set of secondhand cup wishbones to a phase 1 (or even a non cup phase 2 TBH) is a great way to get a large portion of the gains for utterly no effort and very minimal cost.

Can you order me a up a set of new cup wishbones for my Mrs 172 though when you are next at renault, as I'd sooner have new standard bushes on that car than polybush it as its a daily first and foremost and only a trackday car second, but I'd still like the extra caster ahead of our ring trip in six weeks and Ive got some time free next week I can fit them and get it tracked etc.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
AF1E413E-60AD-4F35-9A08-2430B1BC21F6-5791-000004C6C9ED24CA.jpg
Evening Chip.

I remember reading your threads on Migweb when I was 17 thinking what a legend and you're still at it!

How did you decide on where to position the outer hole? Did you simply push the hole as far forward as possible in line with the original then elongate the inner hole to accommodate this?

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
but I'd still like the extra caster ahead of our ring trip in six weeks and Ive got some time free next week I can fit them and get it tracked etc.

Chip buddy, mildly off topic, are you going for the Nurburg 700 on the first weekend of October atall?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'm there from the 5th to the 8th mate. 8th being a closed trackday and the rest just tourist days. Then doing spa on the 9th.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
8th is the closed trackday that we are attending, traveling down on the morning of the 7th and hopefully be out on tack a little in that afternoon.
Ill give you a nudge when we are there if I don't see you ;)

We are taking both cars, the Clio and the Focus.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
We're just planning on taking our N/A 172, hopefully be a good trip, only problem with a closed trackday is obviously its a big issue if it happens to be that day it buckets it down with rain!

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
We struck lucky last year for the trip, fingers crossed for this year aswell.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
that's funny, i'll be there the 9th! we have a weekend trip into the ardennes with our Renault club :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
that's funny, i'll be there the 9th! we have a weekend trip into the ardennes with our Renault club :)

Well if you decide to head down any sooner while we are still there make sure you let us know, would be a good excuse for a meal and a pint :)

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Chip, I'll give you a call later, we may be changing our trip slightly now, and head down on the Friday for a few days instead, as the closed trackday only has 2 spaces left and there was 5 of us aiming to book it, Ooops!

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
No sorry mate, we have a bbq and beer at the camping on saturday and heading to the ring sunday morning :)

Hope the weathergods will be with us!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sunday morning is cool. We are there till Monday evening when we head off to spa. So could meet you for a meal Sunday evening?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Slightly to much for the chassis, going to need to move it back slightly as its hitting too much on the inner wings. More than can really be ground or hammered out the way.