ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gear box plug and oil

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
What size is the gear box drain and fill plug? I was thinking of putting one of them magnetic ones in (probably just the drain plug) but wanted to know what size. I can't remeber if it is the same as the sump plug, but then again I have o idea what that size is either!
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-83976-g...ain-sump-plug-for-renault-vehicles-ap-10.aspx

And the age old question of what gear box oil and how much haha! From searching it is just over 3ltr and 75/90?? But what is GL5?

Wannt to get it all from Opie oils so any links to there would be good.

Last edited:
What size is the gear box drain and fill plug? I was thinking of putting one of them magnetic ones in (probably just the drain plug) but wanted to know what size. I can't remeber if it is the same as the sump plug, but then again I have o idea what that size is either!
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-83976-g...ain-sump-plug-for-renault-vehicles-ap-10.aspx

And the age old question of what gear box oil and how much haha! From searching it is just over 3ltr and 75/90?? But what is GL5?

Wannt to get it all from Opie oils so any links to there would be good.
Does he do bum hole lube, because you'll need it will his prices.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Does he do bum hole lube, because you'll need it will his prices.
Really? Thought they weren't too bad tbh.
Also need brake fluid (RBF600) and its marginally cheaper than eBay.
Sump plug I posted up was marginally cheaper on eBay. But for the sake of a few quid I would rather get it all from one place than faff around with chasing procing and waiting for it all to turn up.

Clio 172 PH2
Sorry to hijack, im changing gearbox oil on my ph2 172 is it a reusable plastic filler and drain or what?

Thanks

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure on the drain plug thread.

You need 3L of 75w80 GL4 not 5.

The filler plug is like a plastic wing nut and is reusable. The drain plug just needs a new copper crush washer.

Used code: cliosport for 10% off on Opie Oils.

Clio 172 PH2
Ok thanks, however I've bought millers trx synth it's 75w80 says, api gl-4, gl5.

Have I got the wrong oil?

Thanks

Really? Thought they weren't too bad tbh.
Also need brake fluid (RBF600) and its marginally cheaper than eBay.
Sump plug I posted up was marginally cheaper on eBay. But for the sake of a few quid I would rather get it all from one place than faff around with chasing procing and waiting for it all to turn up.
What's wrong with the oil that was designed to be used in the j series gearbox?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elf-Trans...455553?hash=item4b120e03c1:g:vJgAAOSw8w1YBz9Q
TRANSELF NFJ 75W-80

Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1285677123438&ssbinary=true.png

Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1285677133148&ssbinary=true.png

Manual transmission fluid adapted to RENAULT vehicles with « J », TL4 and NDX gearboxes such as Twingo, Clio, Modus, Megane (except Megane/Scenic II PK4), Laguna (except 2,2DT, dci and V6 engines), Espace (2,0 and 1,9 dti) and such as Kangoo models.

Generally this lubricant meets the requirements of the mechanical gearboxes of cars and vans which are fitted with brass synchromesh rings (single or multicone shape).

Current technical profile
  • OEM's approvals
    • Renault for gearboxes JBX, JCX, JRX, JHX, NDX, TLX
API Level
  • API GL-4+

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Just done mine recently and went with the Elf fluid but any 75W80 gear oil should be sufficient.

This stuff should be OK + discount : http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/c...nual-transmission-fluids/?522776052&0&cc5_868

Dowty washer for the engine sump and a copper washer for the gearbox sump (both available from GSF / Euro / Renault).

Only thing I forgot to do was put something on the drive when I got to the last litre and some in the funnel leaked onto the drive but otherwise easy job and I am far from an expert!