ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Funny noise when accelerating hard in low gears

Audi TT 225
I get a funny noise when I accelerate hard in low gears. (172 mk1)

Its like wwuurrr wup wup wup wup. Sounds like its coming from the front...
It doesn't change the performance of the car it just sounds like a really odd to me like a popping, rotating sort of noise. I dont think its normal anyway but Ive not hard the car long.

I'll try and record it tomorrow if that helps. If I drive normally I dont hear it but if I spank it then I get the noise. Its worse in 1st, not as bad in 2nd, hardly happens in 3rd and nothing in 4th and 5th.

Im wondering if its bearings or engine mounts or something.

Any ideas?

Audi TT 225
Everyone that gets in the car is like "jeeez whats that noise??"

I've got 3 months warranty from the place I bought it from so I want to sort any little issues out now so they wont end up costing me later :D

Continuous banging/knocking present under hard acceleration in 1st/2nd gears.

Its all those torque's when you floor it... the engine just wants to escape!

Mike clarified this for me today, its usually the offside engine mount.

no its not i found out what it is.

Basically clamber underneath, you'll see the rear dog bone mount, at the small end of that is a black metal bracket, 2 16mm bolts in it, undo the dog bone mount, slacken off the lower 16mm bolt, and if you can reach the top, bonus, slacken it off and it'll move about, push the bottom of the bracket towards the front of the car, then whilst doing that, nip up the bottom bolt, then do both up as tight as possible, put the dog bone mount on, if youve done it well enough you'll have to get someone to pull the engine forwards from the top, just to get the bolts in.

I spent hours finding out what it is, did this and sorted, hasnt sone it in months.

can you take some photographs with an explanation dan?

it will solve years of complaints if it works.

Hi,

Any up-date/pics on this? It sounds exactly like the noise I have been trying to locate after changing my dog-bone. Only happens in 1st and a bit in 2nd. Have been bothering everybody getting advice on engine mounts for ages and it sounds like it's something to do with when I changed the dog-bone. The only thing is mine is a MK2 and you say only MK1's have this bracket, I did have to adjust something similar to this to get my dog-bone on!?!? Will have to get under it again and have a play about.

Thanks,

Mike.

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
BUMP on this. I have just been searching as I think I got this problem. What is the dog bone mount? This sounds like my problem I have on my car.

RenaultSport clio 172
BUMP

This noise is driving me mad, fiddled with all of the exhaust shield and the engine mounts look fine!

Clio 172, Audi A4 S-Line
I get this too.. and yeah it does my head in too! Had the top mount replaced, which has helped a bit. My mate also reckons its worth checking the one under the battery and the bottom mount which you are talkin about... weather has been too cold to start muckin around with it!

I get this as well. I just simply can not floor it in first or it knocks like a b**ch.

thought it was axle tramp but the tyres cant be that grippy, even does it in the wet which makes me think its not this even more.

Someone must have found the cause / a cure by now

i noticed when swapping my inlets that my drivers side engine mount is completely split into two pieces.

I've got a new one im going to fit in the week, so will report back if this solves things or not. Might be an area to check if it turns out to solve it.

Monaco 39/468 Mk2 ZS180
I get this too, only started recently.

Very loud inside the cabin god knows what it sounds like outside.

Would love to know whats causing it & how to fix it.:S

ibiza cupra
if i took my 172 to the garage would they have any idea?

my friend suggests its the gearbox mount or one of the engine mounts?

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
I replaced the engine mount and the dogbone underneath, it helped the problem but didn't take it totally away.

Best way is to take the car out with the mechanic in with it.

Have you done the pulling the engine forward trick?

ibiza cupra
I replaced the engine mount and the dogbone underneath, it helped the problem but didn't take it totally away.

Best way is to take the car out with the mechanic in with it.

Have you done the pulling the engine forward trick?

whats the pulling engine forward trick?

and is it going to cause a big problem if it isnt sorted out?

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
Support the engine from underneath, slacken the drivers side engine mount, get someone to pull the engine towards the front of the car and tighten the mount back up.

Vw caddy tdi
Yep above works careful of the air con pipes when levering engine forwards using turret and bar to do so. Do undo the dogbone and adjust as said above leaving this to connect up last you will need to lever the engine to get bottom bolt back in dogbone if tension ,positioned correctly. Any more knocking is proberly unsprung play in top strut mounts when accelerating either solid mounts or modification of standard top hat washer slightly to fix play issue.

ibiza cupra
doesnt sound like something i would want to try myself.

would a mechanic laugh at me if i walked up to him and said i think this is the solution to my problem, would you help me out for a few quid?

rps13
KTR engine mounts, solid top mounts, coilies are my plan of attack. will broadcast the outcome.

co-incedentaly my gearbox mount is slack as s**t,

it's probably just a combo of engine movement, stiff suspension and 170 FWHP!!!!

start replacing parts and it gets better

ibiza cupra
KTR engine mounts, solid top mounts, coilies are my plan of attack. will broadcast the outcome.

co-incedentaly my gearbox mount is slack as s**t,

it's probably just a combo of engine movement, stiff suspension and 170 FWHP!!!!

start replacing parts and it gets better

okay no worries, theres a motorsport shop near me. phoned them up today as the owners son has a 172 track ****, just to see if they could offer any advice.

they reccomend changing all the engine mounts and gearbox mounts.

ibiza cupra
thing is its supposed to be a clio sport, and u cant even boot it in first gear!

thats the whole idea of it being a sport, is to rev it to s**t.

my mate can rev his 1.2 harder than me without it sounding like a machine gun lol

b/g 182, meg tourer
i think the noise is just engine movement etc on the mount.
happens when the wheels are struggling to get traction