ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Friends 18yo daughter (initially disappointing, delivers post #19)

Trader Rating - 100%
6   0   0
  Ktec'd 1.2 16v Sport
Now I have your attention! :)
He's thinking of getting her this as her first car http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...t/radius/100/postcode/ts12ll/page/2?logcode=p
she going to be comuting about 60-65 miles a day to uni so thought oil burner would be good. Insurance isn't and issue on it. Anything to look for with one of these other than the standard car buying issues, as in any known faults?
Its got 2 dealer stamps and 2 garage stamps in book 3 owners, No obvious signs of anything wrong but I'm going to have a look on thursday with him and wanted your advice.

Cheers

Trader Rating - 100%
7   0   0
  ITB BG 182
Re: Friends 18yo daughter

Pics of the 18 yro before sensible answers are shown to you about the car.

Trader Rating - 100%
6   0   0
  Ktec'd 1.2 16v Sport

lol was waiting for that! I never really see her as she lives with her mum. last photo I saw of her she was about 13 :S

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0

You deceitful b*****d.

Would a gt not be better if insurance isn't an issue? Better equipped, looks nicer etc

But, I imagine these have the same 1.5 lump as the mk2, mine was excellent when I had it bar the glow plugs going but that's a simple fix, and I don't have experience with mk3s so I can't help you with things to look out for.

The name of aforementioned female would suffice ;)

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  RB 182

I'd say 65miles a day justifies a derv. Especially when you factor in cheap tax and insurance.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Listerine & Poledo

15k a year, before any "social" driving.

yeah, diesel could be the way

Trader Rating - 100%
6   0   0
  Ktec'd 1.2 16v Sport

yeah think deffo going diesel, more advice on stuff like cambelt change times and general 'look for' items for when i view it. just in case its a polished turd!

Trader Rating - 100%
10   0   0

My sister has one of these although its on a 60 plate. She thinks it's a great car.

Also compared to the 1.2, the 1.5 derv feels so much more powerful and has a fair bit of poke about it.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Well played my friend well played.

I won't help you because there are no pics though.

135 views... 9 replies...

Trader Rating - 100%
17   0   0
  Megane 225 F1

Tempted to add you to my ignore list to prevent further disappointment.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Trader Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I'd actually go for the diesel. That's like 1300 odd miles a month just getting to and from uni,factor in personal mileage and I'd say the MPG of the diesel would definitely be a good thing.

Trader Rating - 100%
6   0   0
  Ktec'd 1.2 16v Sport

Just for the regular sharks!
273330_1012652097_1933469_n.jpg

now spill with the info!!! lol!

p.s if she buys the car she'll be a member on here so you can chat here up in person.

Trader Rating - 100%
7   0   0
  ITB BG 182

WOuld be blind not too or homo....

Personally, I'd get the 1.9 Dci if insurance is not a problem, slightly bigger engine but i find better on the MPG's too. As said get a dynamique if you can, better equipment too. If not, then just upgrade the HU for her ipod abuse/use. Also a little bit better to drive. Diesels are the way forward, tax is and will be going up and up on the petrols so will the insurance too.

Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

dci 86 is a cracking car. Took me 3 years to talk my mates wife into getting hers. when she got it she thought the brakes were faulty becuase they stopped her when she pressed the pedal. Horrific KA she had before was a deathtrap and did 30mpg. She's now getting 55mpg in a 5 years newer car, and spending less on it.

Check for binding rear brakes and any juddering/flat spots probably means it's had petrol put in by mistake at some point and needs all the lines replacing. Thats about it though really

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
9   0   0

mk3 DCi's are even more reliable than the MK2's (which are pretty reliable!!)

dynamique or dynamique S spec would be preferable but assuming thats his budget their isnt much chance of getting one! that one looks good though, if its only got 4 stamps in the book then its not been serviced every 18k as it should however i wouldnt let that put me off as long as it runs sweet!

being the lowest powered 68hp model they are uber fuel efficient, cheap on tax, while still being nice to drive.

they should pull nice and smoothly from 1500rpm, and shouldnt be too smokey, they should idle spot on from cold, even when first started, not like petrols that have an un eaven idle, give it full throttle in say 3rd gear and make sure it pulls to 4000rpm or so without any hesitation or warning lights.

other than that they are bullet proof.

ohh aye, cambelt due at 72k too, resonably cheap to have done but a good bargaining point.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
21   0   0
  986'S 172ph1+182FF

i would find a 86bhp model as the tax is cheaper than the 68, although at that price its a good deal from a dealer.

also, 4 stamps :S intervals are 1 year or 12,000miles

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
21   0   0
  986'S 172ph1+182FF

i would find a 86bhp model as the tax is cheaper than the 68, although at that price its a good deal from a dealer.

also, 4 stamps :S intervals are 1 year or 12,000miles

Edit that, just seen its the 120g/km emissions so its just in for the £30 tax, some of the earlier ones were 123g/km making them £95 tax

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
21   0   0
  986'S 172ph1+182FF

u sure the 68 is 1yr 12k and not 2yr 18k?

Quite sure as all of the Renault range went to 1 year service intervals from late sep 2005 and they changed the 1.5dci to 12k, although petrols remained at 18k but also changed to yearly servicing. They now have changed some back to 2 year intervals again now though.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
9   0   0

ah right, i knew mine was 18k just wasnt sure about that one! mine goes in on tuesday £160 for an oil filter and air filter change lol ffs

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
21   0   0
  986'S 172ph1+182FF

ah right, i knew mine was 18k just wasnt sure about that one! mine goes in on tuesday £160 for an oil filter and air filter change lol ffs

Thats good for Renault, i did a first service the other day, Castrol 5w40, all consumables, oil filter, pollen filter, £229. I expect yours will be no consumables, and the motrio 5w40 oil and a pollen filter.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
13   0   0
there good cars watch for rear brakes, dont wind the handbrake up should come up 10 clicks other wis eit will burn the shoes out.
check the cambelt and aux belt is done correctly and it should have had 6 services due to mileage.
water leaks are a pain and does happen also aircon condensors leak and costly to replace as its all in one with the radiator

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
21   0   0
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
there good cars watch for rear brakes, dont wind the handbrake up should come up 10 clicks other wis eit will burn the shoes out.
check the cambelt and aux belt is done correctly and it should have had 6 services due to mileage.
water leaks are a pain and does happen also aircon condensors leak and costly to replace as its all in one with the radiator

Saw this about the handbrakes on Renault net a few weeks ago iirc, printed it off and gave it to the unhappy customer, boom.