ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Freaky engine?

HBT 172 Cup
Bought my cup a while back and put it on the rollers yesterday at Surrey RR with a few others, was pretty shocked at the result considering it only has a panel filter and Ktec exhaust. Standard map and cat convertor too, and its an aircon model! THis is nothing more than a happy thread :D

rollingroad.jpg

This got a mention in "Jay S's" thread... Very unusual. I'd be very happy! I have heard nothing but good things about Charlie down at SRR so as reliable a place as any!

340i
There are a few freaky engines around.. But that seems very strong, especially with aircon and no real mods!

What was the peak torque figure?

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
want to get mine on the rr, i dont think mine is running anywhere near 170bhp, would like to get the timing checked.

172, Tiguan
Those silver cups always were good ones. I remember mine making over book power after 2000 miles.

Good result. :)

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
want to get mine on the rr, i dont think mine is running anywhere near 170bhp, would like to get the timing checked.

Have you had the timing done since you bought it? If not then its defo running 170+, was always bang on neck and neck with the other flamer and that was running 176 at the time.

Ph1
Mass production engine with a extra 20 bhp or so over the average stock 172 surely has to have more going on than being a ''freak'' :S

Ph1
No evidence of a raised limiter though?

Peaks higher than mine and i'm running cams lol

Must be either modded or the rollers out at the time - Lets be realistic, unless Renault slipped in some hefty port work, raised the CR or slipped in some secret cams its going to be a tad optimistic to have gained 20 brake from stock factory tolerance parts at the assembly line.

Lionel Richie
Freaky ones do exist, although i have a funny feeling my "freak engine" might be one of my old ex cup racer stock which were not 100% stock (close though)

340i
This my was freaky PH-1 172:

IMG_0639.jpg

187.4 bhp

166 ft.lb

100% standard engine internals.

The only mods where matched inlets and a Yozzasport race exhaust system.

And that was on Pauls old rollers that apparantly under read ;)

Those silver cups always were good ones. I remember mine making over book power after 2000 miles.

Good result. :)

still to get it on the rollers Jon an see what its making now.. was gonna go on the RR day that laine went on but thought was pointless with a blowing exhaust

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
you can twst my words however you like. the question is will you put it on the rollers at SRR?

Lionel Richie
I'll put the car on any rollers, doesn't bother me!

The car has already been on SRR too, made 86bhp when it was a 1.2 ;)

Doesn't SRR have the same dyno k-tec just got rid of?

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Freaky ones do exist, although i have a funny feeling my "freak engine" might be one of my old ex cup racer stock which were not 100% stock (close though)

What exactly where the differences, i allways thought it was just a stock 730 motor.

Lionel Richie
Well the FR2000 lumps (dry sumped) were the most powerful from my experience, the oil system was cocked about with in them, oil squirters blocked off etc

in terms of what was done to them i shall ask my chap when i speak to him to get the exact answer, i know his wife did the cam timing on them LOL!

Only small differences i ever noticed were the actually balancing/weights of internal items, cranks, rods, pistons etc were VERY close when compared to a road car. If i find my old note pad i have a comparison of a road car engine and a cup racer engine, we fitted an ex cup race engine into a road car years ago and whilst i was bored i took apart 1 of each engine and weighed/measured everything

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i need to get my ph1 on the rollers to see the graph as it feels to me like its still making power at 7800rpm and my old one used to be running out of puff at 7200! (182 manifold though!) its had double figures in owners so god knows whats been done!