ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fletch's 150k 172 Project..

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Quick update.

Chris popped over on his way to Llandow to lend a hand and, his torque wrench to remove the 2 stubborn 18 bolts that hold the brake calipers on. So I have now removed the bells and rotors on both sides.

The front NS arch is a real mess, it has CV grease absolutely everywhere :(

APC and PW helped.

14815855559_7227a3a301_z.jpg

Untitled by fletcher10, on Flickr

I also drained the gearbox oil, as the front NS driveshaft needs changing.

15002670862_fd6539020b_z.jpg

I then proceeded to remove the hub nut with a breaker bar and 30mm impact socket, but had no joy. Tom came over yesterday morning with his Impact wrench and removed said bolt in seconds. My next big tool purchase methinks.

I had a bit of time yesterday afternoon but got stuck trying to remove 2 of 3 bolts that hold the driveshaft into the gearbox gaitor, and today it's pissing down :(

I will order some Brembo HC discs and CL RC6 pads tomorrow, and pick some ATE super blue up for ECP.

172 cup, Impreza P1
I use a DeWalt 18v impact gun and its done every stubborn bolt i've came up against. It was £250 a couple of years back.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
^^^Good price.

My kit caliper kit arrived today, I lost 2 bolts somewhere in the attic. So I fitted them, I just hope my pistons are still in full working order.

And my CL RC6 pads and Brembo HC discs arrived. Great service from Adam@wolverhampton Renault, and Kam racing :)

14869877920_e19f609250_z.jpg

So I still need to have a go removing the 2 stubborn bolts holding the driveshaft into the gearbox, and removing the driveshaft. Hopefully have another crack tomorrow if it stays dry.

As the car hasn't moved for a while I pushed in out the way. Little and large..

15033539396_799300f52a_z.jpg

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
There's something about how it sits that is just so right and the wheels just set it off.

Hope plans for tomorrow go well buddy

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Update.

Remove and fit NS driveshaft
Remove 4 pots and fit OEM calipers Brembo HC disc CL RC6 pads
Refill gearbox

Friday afternoon I had another go removing the NS driveshaft. I was planning on removing the wishbone to get it out but they were stuck fast, so I had a go at removing the 21mm strut bolts and was in luck. So out they come and the driveshaft was out! Fitted the new driveshaft in place, and then went to put the strut bolts in but couldn't do this on my own...would be a two man job.

Saturday morning.
@Christopher. @TimR26 came over the lend me a hand Chris had the strength to get the coilover and hub in place for me to slide the bolts in :)

Then onto the brakes. As some of you know I went on the Compbrake website to buy some replacement discs, but was shocked to see they had gone up to £115 for each disc!! The last time I ordered some they were £100 each. I'm not really very hard on the brakes and seeing the only real reason I originally got the 4 pots was that I wanted 'pretty' brakes behind my brand new turinis :eek: So I decided to change back to standard.

14775088427_7e79b887a8_z.jpg

Then onto fitting the OEM calipers and Brembo HC discs CL RC6 pads.

NS first: First disc, caliper on and Tim arrives. Then Mel makes us all a fry up :) after that onto the OS side, all goes to plan apart from one of the disc to hub bolts head snapped off.

Chris goes home, so Tim and I set off in his Ford Ka to ECP to pick up some ATE super blue, 4 litres of gearbox oil and sump washers. Last week I purchased a Eezibleed kit for bleeding the brakes. So we get back and crack on bleeding the system, piece of cake and probably the best £20 I have ever spent.

url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/fletcher10/15085253585/]
15085253585_921320ee9a_z.jpg
[/url]

Then on to the gearbox. We tried removing the wingnut but had no joy so we just started filling the gearbox oil, what a work up, it took about 30mins to get the first litre in :( so I had another go and removing the wingnut this time it came out :) and filling the next 2 or so litres was easy.

I took the car for a quick run and the brakes seem fine, great stopping power and they seem pretty good from cold, they do squeal a lot though, and the gearbox feels so much better with fresh oil in. So all in all very happy with the old girl MOT is due on the 9th sep, so I need to fix the broken ABS wire and maybe change the rear discs/ pads.

15084899312_035827b098_z.jpg

15085257565_58e64e6ff7_z.jpg

Oh and thanks tom172cup for lending me his impact gun.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
So yesterday I did around 70 miles on some of my favourite B roads. The Brembo HC/ CL RC6 and super blue fluid setup is good, stopping power from cold is fine and once up to temp they're excellent.

The gearbox feel much better now since changing the oil. I noticed at the 'ring when I changed into 2-3 3-4 at over 6.500rmp it didn't like it yesterday it was fine so that's all good.

The only problem I have is the something is knocking on tight fast left hand corners, I thought it was the driveshaft, but I have replaced both and it still doing it :( Although I think it stared when I had the roll cage fitted?

So it the new year I am going to give the suspension a overhaul.

PMS Wishbones Complete with Caster Adjustable NMB Bearing Kit Fitted
PMS Top mounts front /strut brace
PMS Engine mount kit
Bilsteins B14, or AST coilovers.
PMS 172 Racing Exhaust System, Decat, No Centre Silencer.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
So yesterday I did around 70 miles on some of my favourite B roads. The Brembo HC/ CL RC6 and super blue fluid setup is good, stopping power from cold is fine and once up to temp they're excellent.

The gearbox feel much better now since changing the oil. I noticed at the 'ring when I changed into 2-3 3-4 at over 6.500rmp it didn't like it yesterday it was fine so that's all good.

The only problem I have is the something is knocking on tight fast left hand corners, I thought it was the driveshaft, but I have replaced both and it still doing it :( Although I think it stared when I had the roll cage fitted?

So it the new year I am going to give the suspension a overhaul.

PMS Wishbones Complete with Caster Adjustable NMB Bearing Kit Fitted
PMS Top mounts front /strut brace
PMS Engine mount kit
Bilsteins B14, or AST coilovers.
PMS 172 Racing Exhaust System, Decat, No Centre Silencer.
I had a knock in my 172, only on tight left hand corners. Turned out to be the engine mount under the battery, think it was shifting so much laterally that it was causing the driveshaft to knock.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I had a knock in my 172, only on tight left hand corners. Turned out to be the engine mount under the battery, think it was shifting so much laterally that it was causing the driveshaft to knock.

Cheers Warren. I'll have a look later. I am still running the standard engine mounts, so that may well be the causing the knocking.

Clio RS
hi one of my friends had the same. Knocking in left corners. After change of driveshaft's it nothing became better. Than opened the engine mount and pushed the engine a little bit motre to the left side, and the knocking was gone.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Glad the work went well, sorry I couldn't get over bud :(

Suspension plans sound immense :) You know how much I love my Billies!

It was a good day, shame you couldn't make it mate :(

hi one of my friends had the same. Knocking in left corners. After change of driveshaft's it nothing became better. Than opened the engine mount and pushed the engine a little bit motre to the left side, and the knocking was gone.

Interesting. I'll have a look later.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
How do you think the brakes would be on a daily driver?

Fine they stop really well from cold, which actually surprised me. The only trouble is they're noisy and dusty, (although nothing can be as bad as DS3000 pads for brake dust) maybe too aggressive for daily driving, maybe a set of RC5 pads would be better?

What set-up are you currently running Paul?

Dave LM

ClioSport Club Member
  PH1 172
Fletch, I fitted some RC6's about a month ago, and used some Mintex anti squeal paste that I bought off eBay. It seems to be working as I have hardly had any noise from the pads since fitting. It only cost a few quid, so is well worth a try.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Fletch, I fitted some RC6's about a month ago, and used some Mintex anti squeal paste that I bought off eBay. It seems to be working as I have hardly had any noise from the pads since fitting. It only cost a few quid, so is well worth a try.

Good stuff. How are you finding your RC6 pads mate?

Dave LM

ClioSport Club Member
  PH1 172
These RC6's seem to bite like nothing else I've tried. At low speed, you have to re-adjust your driving style to avoid learner driver style lurching on the pedal, but otherwise they are superb. I am going to the Nurburgring next month and that was the main reason I decided to give these pads a go.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
These RC6's seem to bite like nothing else I've tried. At low speed, you have to re-adjust your driving style to avoid learner driver style lurching on the pedal, but otherwise they are superb. I am going to the Nurburgring next month and that was the main reason I decided to give these pads a go.

I have only had my RC6 pads fitted last week, but first impressions are good, and that's coming from 4 pots running DS3000 pads.

I wish I was off to the Nurburgring ring again next month :(

Dave LM

ClioSport Club Member
  PH1 172
Didn't I read in your thread that you had a group trip to te 'ring? Any plans to get back there again? It's my first trip over there for a few years.