ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First problem with the clio...

Been driving my clio a week and i have encountered the first problem, went threw a bit of water with this recent heavy rain, and now there is a banging noise sounds like its coming from the centre pipe which matches engine speed, its alot louder on idle, any ideas what it could be? cant see anything touching but new to clios so I dont know what should! theres more under there than the old saxo.

any help welcome :quiet:

Been driving my clio a week and i have encountered the first problem, went threw a bit of water with this recent heavy rain, and now there is a banging noise sounds like its coming from the centre pipe which matches engine speed, its alot louder on idle, any ideas what it could be? cant see anything touching but new to clios so I dont know what should! theres more under there than the old saxo.

any help welcome :quiet:

Banging? As in exhaust banging?

Or more of something scrapping, possiable undertray come off from drving in heavy rain

Maybe knocked the baffle's out of the centre section perhaps? Is it a metallic tinny sound?

more of a knocking than a metallic sound, it quietens when going over 2k revs, but below its a bit noisey and bangs when on idle not moving, really wierd, I cant fully explain except the sound of someone hitting the bottom of the car with a plank of wood really fast really hard

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
My money is on the baffle box is humped, jack it up, grab it with your hand and shake it at various points on the exhaust and see whats happening!

Mind and put axle stands/blocks under! And do it when its cold!

My money is on the baffle box is humped, jack it up, grab it with your hand and shake it at various points on the exhaust and see whats happening!

Mind and put axle stands/blocks under! And do it when its cold!

ill give that a try tomorrow, if it is its off back to the garage as its under warranty still, I may not be mechanically orientated but I know an exhaust is hot after running lol :clown:

Silly one... Think im well off as well... But it aint cat fitting kit nackered is it, as in one one spring fitted causing it to nock, bang ect...

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Check the heat shields that go over the exhaust. The clips aren't that strong and may have have been pulled loose if you drove through deep water at any sort of speed.

Went out to the car the day after, had a look underneith and pushed what I believe to be the heatshield back up, it click into place.. got the car started and warmed up and no sound, so hoping it was just that, although, problem number 2 my brakes now squeek! really annoying around town lol, any ideas what could cause that?

ph2 Clio 172
wasdefo your heat shield, brakes squeaking, could be a wear or grove on the disc, or you need abit of copper grease on the back of your pads. i wouldnt bother about a squeak, cars and perfection dont go together haha.

wasdefo your heat shield, brakes squeaking, could be a wear or grove on the disc, or you need abit of copper grease on the back of your pads. i wouldnt bother about a squeak, cars and perfection dont go together haha.

ahhh! apparently there is a slight lip on the disk, could that be the cause of the squeak?? The car is near perfection! I love it :)

ph2 Clio 172
ahhh! apparently there is a slight lip on the disk, could that be the cause of the squeak?? The car is near perfection! I love it :)

No man that shouldn't cause the squeak, all discs develop a lip over time through wear that's just the way the pad wears down the disc,if the squeak comes at very low speeds, just rolling etc, get someone to drive the car beside you and brake and try pin point wear the squeak is, front or back, passenger or drivers side etc, and investigate futher, put some copper grease on back of the pads to see if it fixes it.