ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FF Clio 200, Cup pack or not?

GW Clio 200
Evening guys, I know this question probably gets asked daily however.....

I am looking to buy a Clio 200 FF, i want recaros, my only stumbling block is whether i should hunt one down with the cup pack or not!

It is becoming increasingly annoying ringing dealerships and asking if it has the cup pack fitted and getting the "ummm...just hold the line mate i'll go check....ah sorry mate no it hasn't"

I have test drove a FF200, loved it, not actually tried a 200 with cup pack fitted.

In short i live in London and the roads are shocking, but i do like the idea of the cup chassis!

Any thoughts/suggestions very welcome..

Ta

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
If you live and drive mainly in London the ONLY thing the Cup pack will give you is;

Anthracite wheels
Red brake calipers
An unnecessarily hard ride

I came from 8 years and 130k miles in a 172 Cup to a non cup packed 200. Have given it a couple of track outings already and it copes just fine. On the country roads I pound along every day it is perfect.

The Cup suspension pack is not necessary to enjoy the car.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
The only good thing about Cup packs is resale. And that's only because everyone else has said its a 'must'...

Plus the wheels look w*nk without the red calipers-

Silver calipers & silver 5 spokes = pauper spec

S

197 FF Glacier White
Get a standard chassis version with recaros and speedlines, then paint the calipers and wheels, best of both worlds. The Cup pack is a little tiresome on rubbish roads, but feels superb everywhere else.

Rusty Cup
I would strongly suggest trying both cup and non cup setups and then decide for yourself. If i used my 200 every day i would have seriously regretted choosing the cup suspension. Its firmer than the coilovers i had on my 182 (much better damped mind you) if you spend more than a minute or so on rough roads its easy to find yourself thinking why the hell you chose a rock hard track setup on a car that wont see a track!!

Dont spec it for resale as for the 2/3 years you have to drive it you may regret it. It is a really tricky call as the reason i picked the clio is because of the driving experience, the quick rack and firm suspension give it the edge when the conditions are perfect. But when the road is in shocking condition a non cup'd clio will be a much more pleasant place to be.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
The only gripe you'd have with the cup chassis would be if you were a pansy :p I use mine daily and have no problems with it :)

Make sure you don't need a piss when you go out in it though. That is very unpleasant lol

Enjoy :D

The 100% standard 197 I drove was way stiffer than my 182 Cup, and rolled a lot less, so IMO the 182 comparison is a bit pointless. Not the same car.

Clio RS200
I went for the non cupped 200.

Couldn't care less about the colour of the alloys/calipers so it just came down to the ride.

I test drove a cupped one and didn't like the suspension, it felt similar in hardness to my old Saxo and I hated that thing.

GW Clio 200
Where did you pic yours up and what colour?

I went for the non cupped 200.

Couldn't care less about the colour of the alloys/calipers so it just came down to the ride.

I test drove a cupped one and didn't like the suspension, it felt similar in hardness to my old Saxo and I hated that thing.

baysthebest

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172/172Cup/182
Much more desirable and easier to sell with the Cup Chassis, ride with or without is still firm!

baysthebest

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172/172Cup/182
Myth.

Had no bother selling my 200 with no cup packs.

Not saying you would have a problem selling it but if most people had a choice of 2 identical cars one with and one without then then most people prefer the cup chassis option as there would only be a minimal cost difference (if any) on the used market.

Im only talking from my experience of selling RS vehicles since 182's were new :)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
It's no myth amongst this community, but there are others outside it not swayed by the 'it's got to have cup packs, recaros, silvervisions' approach so often blindly followed on here.

There's a market for them, they'll sell. Just not on here.

Fiesta ST200
I went for cup pack purely for track days. If you don't do them, don't bother.

As mark has said, they still perform well even without them. You have to know your stuff or be a good driver to get the most out of a cup packed one too.

Don't do it mate, I did but that's for obvious reasons. It will save you a lot of money.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Personally, i didnt get on with the steering in the non-cup pack one, & whilst still overly light, the cup pack did improve the speed of response imho. If you want comfort, buy a 3 series :rasp:

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
You really don't need the Cup Chassis to enjoy the car, but IMO the non-Cup rack is woeful. It emphasised the softer suspension even more.

I gave it some thought before ordering mine, but I went Cup. I drove from Le Mans to Manchester in one sitting (700 miles & 15 hours) and got out as fresh as a daisy. Ish.

That was with Recaros too.

LY 200
I always go for the cup pack (more hardcore beastie/better chances when it comes to resale imo) however having owned one with recaros/cup chassis and one with full leather/cup chassis the recaros are the back breaker!

If it's an everyday ride and you're looking for a semi comfortable hot hatch I would go for either or not both and IMO the cup chassis nab it.