ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

**** FAO of Capsicum Red Non sport and Trophy owners! ****

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It came to my attention last month and again today that some Trophy owners (possibly non sports aswell) are experiencing fading on their door handles.

I'd just like to say we had a Trophy in our bodyshop last month and we noticed fading on an area of the roof. The guy not nowing any better thought the paint faded due to not polishing, protecting ect... like the old vauxhalls.

In those days you could just polish the single stage paint back to awesome shint red again sadly todays paints you can and a respray is the only option. Polishing will only polish the clearcoat and not affect the basecoat colour at all.

He was a little shocked to learn that Capsicum is a Clear Overbase paint. Red Basecoat and Clear top coat (lacquer). We repainted the roof and I gave him some tips on at least protecting the rest of the car for the time being.

Now as some will know the Milano Red Hondas have had years of problems now with the paint fading under the basecoat.

19092009064.jpg

This is simply caused by uv rays from the sun penetrating the clearcoat and pretty much turning the basecoat Pink.

I'm not scaremongering here I simply want to pass on this information incase people think paint has moved on that much well it hasn't really. The Trophy is still a reletively new but with the roof I saw and the door handle reports I thought I would mention this to the owners.

From factory, Clearcoat does protect UV rays that's one of it's main reasons for existing.

I know we laugh and joke about detailing being ghey but the products out there, waxes and sealants are there for these exact reasons, to protect the paint.

I suggest the owners at least put something decent on their cars before it comes to a point where it's too late then the only option is to respray the car/panel.

Some waxes aren't great for UV protection. Sealants like Zaino Z2 are my pick of the bunch for price/ease of use ect.. http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/Zaino_Z2_Pro_1.html (CS discount aswell)

It'll last 5 months easily aslong as you don't wash it with bricks and fairy up liquid.

As I said i'm not scaremongering. Hoping to save you guys hassle and money in the long run.

Pass this on to the Tropphy owners if you can. Hopefully it doesn't fall on deaf ears and in the next couple of years you wish you had listened.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I haven't seen any faded pics or posts yet mate but the same rule applys imo.

UR is again Clear overbase. Only the fact it's a new colour there probably isn't much in the way of fading yet.

I'm guessing you look after yours anyway? A good strong durable wax or a Sealant with some decent UV protection will help of course. A LSP (last step protection) is a sacrificial layer. It's designed to take the crap so the paint doesn't have to.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Certainly interesting learning more about the clear coats. You can certainly get a slight improvement through the clear coat, but nothing ever enough to bring the basecoat back to life as you say the way the clearcoat is put on means you can't do this.

I found in particular, the door handles and the roof rail covers seemed to get pink quite quickly

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
What's your advice on LSP gally? I've always just applied some zymol wax and left it at that. I did want to invest in a few of the zaino products to protect the wax a little bit more

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Carbon will be okay mate. Creme will surely last a couple of weeks at the most?

If the wax or Sealant is durable then you kinda know the paint is protected by a strong barrier. If it's poor durability then you really need to be re-applying every fortnight.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I'm quite fond of pink, tbh.

SRS mode on though, cheers mate! I know nothing about protection products but would my SRP/EGP/HD combo work? I know they're not the best products in the world...

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Would be fine mate and anything is better than nothing. :)

The AG HD is the important part though.

I an here Dave laughing at this threas as we speak!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
And rocks? Sea salt and water as shampoo?

Irn Bru as oil iirc.. :eek:

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Standard in Scotland! 10W/40 semi synthetic deep fry cooing oil x

On a seperate note, how do you rate HD? It seems pretty good to me, but it's the only hard wax I've ever used!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's very good mate. Great entry level wax that'll last easily 6 months from 2 layers.

I'm just trying to give people a heads up. No one knew about it happening on the Hondas and now look at them.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
YW sexy face. How did you get on with "that" stuff? Used it yet?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I an here Dave laughing at this threas as we speak!

seeya.gif

Washes his car with wire-wool iirc.

lol, i've only wased it once. Ollie/JMS have
Detailer.gif
twice though. Used the 2 bucket method iirc.

I suggest the owners at least put something decent on their cars

In all seriousness, for a track car, i find that mud/dirt/grime protect the car better than anything else. The stones on track just bounce off, & the sun cant get through the much to damage the paint.

Rather amusingly, the paint underneath on mine is actually pretty mint, just needs a litle polish to remove some mild swirls :eek:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I remember Olllie saying that, we joke about it being the pink bus but it's probably in better nick than some of the lower mileage Trophys out there!

Just out of interest, why does it only effect red? Why doesn't blue fade (no racing blue jokes, it's meant to look faded right?) or green etc...?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
No idea mate. Green does fade though.

Not too many Clear overbase Blues and greens these days. Most are mettalic. RB is the only blue clear overbase I know of.

You could say the same about single stage blacks compared with the reds on vauxhalls the blacks never faded.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Shhhhhhhhh! FFS!

I'm on commission from every detailing seller in Britain! Want a cut?

Clio 1.2 16v
This is awesome! Means we'll finally get some Renaultsports in at work. Might borrow one if it comes in ha!

Cheap Trophy's too. Brilliant!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Was my first thought. What strange thing to say.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
I know that the Honda problem was mainly on the EP3s and it seems to have been corrected for the FN2s. I wonder if Renault have found this and corrected it for the 197s/200s.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
How new are the FN2's though?

My colleague has a Milano 1.6 civic and I warned him. They may have sorted the problem but you'll never know until years down the line.

260% JCW
used to make me laugh when cars would come in for body work, we'd paint a few panels and the owner would piss and moan about the colour not matching with the rest of the car. More so red as mentioned.

Trophy #382
Hi, hope you dont mind but i copied and pasted this info onto cliotrophy.co.uk

Thanks a lot!

Sam

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lols I thought as much! Thanks Sam.

I'm sure a few owners have seen the handles go a lighter though.

I've only just seen this from a link over on ClioTrophy, My handles need respraying in all honesty. :eek:

I did my 1.2 spraying myself and never had any fading after 2/3 years so I must of been doing something right there!